Dolce & Gabbana Pre-Fall 2024 : Lulu Tenney by Steven Meisel

Im rather confused about the relevancy of the big4 considering that without the validation of a major EIC and photographer, the dilution of the titles, are those accomplishments still relevant in a model’s career?
Of course Vogue is still a name that holds a great value but does it still changes the status of a model (if she is not getting a US Cover)?
Sad but true. Although …I’m not Lulu, or even close to being a model myself, but I bet you if you ask any one of these new gen models.. I’m sure they would say that their own idea of a status model is if they land that coveted US Vogue cover (or any of the other 3 traditional ones). Yes times have changed, but nostalgia is a real thing people can’t move on from including myself

Sad but true. Although …I’m not Lulu, or even close to being a model myself, but I bet you if you ask any one of these new gen models.. I’m sure they would say that their own idea of a status model is if they land that coveted US Vogue cover (or any of the other 3 traditional ones). Yes times have changed, but nostalgia is a real thing people can’t move on from including myself
Ahaha…See Nostalgia is not really my thing lol.

Im rather confused about the relevancy of the big4 considering that without the validation of a major EIC and photographer, the dilution of the titles, are those accomplishments still relevant in a model’s career?
Of course Vogue is still a name that holds a great value but does it still changes the status of a model (if she is not getting a US Cover)?
It can help a model’s booker to leverage for better quality work and more importantly - a higher day rate.

It can help a model’s booker to leverage for better quality work and more importantly - a higher day rate.
Don’t get me wrong, I knew the power of what getting the big 4 back in the days meant, the days of Franca, Carine/Emmanuelle, Alexandra (and somehow Edward) and Anna.
It was a stamp of approval from the EIC, the fashion editor and the photographer.

That’s why I posted my initial comment asking if it was still a thing.

Obviously, Lulu earned her career to be chosen by Steven Meisel and Franca Sozzani. And that was enough for her to have such a long lasting career and still appeal to designers like Hedi Slimane, Miuccia and still appear in a Meisel campaign.

And she has done it without the big 4. And while I understand the symbolic, my point was that I don’t think today it has any impact on anyone’s career in a way that it was…Mainly because someone like Eugenie Trochu or Chioma Nnadi has no weight in the industry.

She is the Celine girl so, undeniably, she is a top girl.

Don’t get me wrong, I knew the power of what getting the big 4 back in the days meant, the days of Franca, Carine/Emmanuelle, Alexandra (and somehow Edward) and Anna.
It was a stamp of approval from the EIC, the fashion editor and the photographer.

That’s why I posted my initial comment asking if it was still a thing.

Obviously, Lulu earned her career to be chosen by Steven Meisel and Franca Sozzani. And that was enough for her to have such a long lasting career and still appeal to designers like Hedi Slimane, Miuccia and still appear in a Meisel campaign.

And she has done it without the big 4. And while I understand the symbolic, my point was that I don’t think today it has any impact on anyone’s career in a way that it was…Mainly because someone like Eugenie Trochu or Chioma Nnadi has no weight in the industry.

She is the Celine girl so, undeniably, she is a top girl.
Re: day rates etc - I was referring to all types of work - not just the high profile fashion campaigns. Catalogs, appearances, Korean cash jobs lol. These girls are doing a lot of money jobs that we don’t always see.

I agree that the “big 4” doesn’t hold the same cachet anymore - but it still helps to form part of the model’s image (along with her campaigns, runway, social media etc)

Yes Lulu is a “top girl” without needing these certain covers - but I’m sure if she were to ever get a US Vogue cover Lumien could get an even higher day rate across the board.

Re: day rates etc - I was referring to all types of work - not just the high profile fashion campaigns. Catalogs, appearances, Korean cash jobs lol. These girls are doing a lot of money jobs that we don’t always see.

I agree that the “big 4” doesn’t hold the same cachet anymore - but it still helps to form part of the model’s image (along with her campaigns, runway, social media etc)

Yes Lulu is a “top girl” without needing these certain covers - but I’m sure if she were to ever get a US Vogue cover Lumien could get an even higher day rate across the board.
We all know well that someone trashy like Hamlin will get it first before someone like Lulu. I’d love to be proven wrong

It's what is now a D&G classic combo, but she looks like glossy Plasticine with the amount of blur. Fashion Gumby.

It is nice to see her having such a career though. There was a HUGE lull post Raf/Willy at Calvin, where she was essentially dropped for a good while when Calvin Klein was financially annihilated by Raf. So props to her for sticking through it.

Big 4 is something really gone, only remains US Vogue which suport models but only as part of the editorials. Only the called "nepo" girls achive the front of this mag. Just a miracle can put a girl like Lulu on the cover. There's a lost generation of models that did not appear on the cover by their own (Anna Ewers, Imaan, Vittoria). A new editor with a romantic vision on the making a fashion magazine can change that, but that won't happen in years. I can see Wintour celebrating 40 years as editor in chief of US Vogue. Only four years. She's too comercial and won't change her spirit.

Dolce & Gabanna Capri F/W 2024

Photography: Steven Meisel
Art Direction: Baron & Baron
Stylist: Karl Templer
Model: Lulu Tenney

Absolutely living for Meisel's return to Dolce & Gabbana. Each and every one of his campaigns since Mariacarla Boscono have been spectacular, and this is no exception. The voluminous hair on Lulu Tenney here is everything, and I love the sense of retro.

Absolutely living for Meisel's return to Dolce & Gabbana. Each and every one of his campaigns since Mariacarla Boscono have been spectacular, and this is no exception. The voluminous hair on Lulu Tenney here is everything, and I love the sense of retro.
Agree with you! And I am so looking forward to seeing what is in store for fall.

I am only disappointed that there isn't more! Getting down to the studio for 4 pictures is heinous...

It is quite fabulous, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markrokusek
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->