Donna Karan Pre-Fall 2012

Stereo_Flo

Reaction score
For Donna Karan, pre-fall means back to work. The tribal mood of Spring was out and menswear-influenced separates were in. The color palette—black, navy, charcoal, and ivory—said business, too, but wide belts at the waist (definitely the season's hot zone so far), along with high slits on skirts and dresses, hinted at after-hours pleasures.

It's rare to see pants chez Karan, but they made cameos here; cropped and cuffed styles came paired with long silk tunics or wool jackets with strong shoulders for day. As an alternative to pantsuits, she showed coat-dresses both with and without sleeves.

Evening is where things heated up. A scubalike fabric that the house is calling duchesse satin jersey gave a sculptural quality to a white jacket worn over a bustier-top jumpsuit, and a big black bow made from the stuff added drama to a sleeveless ivory top and a narrow, inky blue wrap skirt. For the most part, Karan kept the slinky jersey dresses she's known for in the back. Adding tailored elements to gowns was the big idea here, big being the operative word. A black and white strapless number had the sort of gravitas a grande dame like Meryl Streep (a.k.a. the Iron Lady) could use to her advantage come Oscar season.

(Click for HQ!)

-style

I like this. Its the same stuff from her, just in different colors, but it works; although I must say that I don't like the red dress in the first post. The draping isn't flattering at all. I wish she would have played around more with shapes & cuts like she did with the first look, but its a very wearable, nice collection.

it's classic Donna, highly wearable and very sophisticated. I like this a lot!

I like it. Classic and very wearable. Not high fashion I guess, but very nice.

I wish she had used more interesting colours because this collection is outstanding. It's so clean, sleek and professional.

by Emily Holt​

Hand in hand with her work as a designer, Donna Karan has long crusaded for social good—advocating for, among other things, cancer research, children’s education, and Haiti, where she’s making tireless efforts to build a sustainable, artisan-driven economy.

But recently she’s decided to focus on what she calls “event-aholics.” “I’m starting a program,” Karan deadpanned Wednesday morning at a pre-fall presentation, having gone to a movie screening on Sunday, hosted an exhibition preview with Russell James and Hugh Jackman on Monday, and attended another event on Tuesday. “I think Vera [Wang] was out later than me last night.”

It’s a lighthearted solution to an issue Karan understands perhaps better than anyone: Women are taking on a lot. And if she can’t start a worldwide recovery group (although at this point we wouldn’t put it past her), she can at least empower women through clothes. This is what her pre-fall collection was about.

And it’s really what her whole career has been about, but this season stood out in particular for its utterly sophisticated simplicity: well-tailored, single-button blazers with stretch to allow for the various acrobatics required during a sixteen-hour day; skirts that hit just below the knee made sexy with slits that venture just above; and beautiful dresses with deep V-necks, soft chiffon pleats, and oversize bows at the waist that double as pockets (an unsung but not unappreciated feature for any multitasker). “It’s all those things you really want to have,” Karan said before extolling the versatility of a white bustier and black jumpsuit. “It’s like the new body. During the day you wear a blazer over it, then take it off and”—what else?—“go to an event at night.”

-vogue​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->