Dress Code

I think they are mostly unnecesary. My old prep school used to have a pretty strict one, which I never followed, and it sucked. Now that I am in public school it is so much easier. I don't like when people say it is "distracting" for someone to wear something sl*tty or whatever. If someone is staring at someone elses ***, thats their problem not the person who felt like wearing a short skirt.

WELL IN MY HIGH SCHOOL YOU HAD TO HAVE HAIR NO MORE THAN 1 INCH! NO SHAPING TOO BOY OR GIRL!!

Pesonally,I dont like the idea of dress codes. :yuk: Good that I dont have to wear one at school!!!! :woot:

I think that workplaces should have dress codes. At the very least no ripped jeans or dirty trainers. And no skimpy tops or dresses. I've seen women wear some pretty :blink: things to the office in the summer

My school uniform is:

Black trousers (I wear a YSL RG pair from my suit)
White polo with school crest
And I wear the YSL RG jacket over the polo
And black shoes (I wear an ancient pair of M&S Oxfords which you can even play football in they're that battered)

My school uniform is not adherned to, so I'll say what I wear.
Pierre balmain navy jacket
Dress pants of the said jacket
Black leather shoes (I have a few so whichever i feel like)
White shirt (you know what they look like right? I won't have to mention the label will I?)

If parka's were not trendy, I'd wear one over it in winter.

It used to look good but these days I'm not bothering :neutral:

Even though it was in the 1990s, my school had a very strict dress code, like from the 1950s.

Skirts had to be to the knee, no shorts, no sleeveless tops, no shoes without socks, no open-toed shoes, no ripped jeans, no low-cut tops, no un-done shirt buttons, no shirts with rude slogans, no beer/alcohol advertising(sensible!) no steel-toed boots, no spiky punk jewelry that could conceivably be used as a weapon in a fight. Also, no plain, white tee-shirts without pockets (construed as an undershirt) no bandannas on the head (do-rag) and they instituted a belt-rule for baggy pants, so no bustin' a sag.

I got really good at constructing bizarre outfits that didn't break the dresscode rules, but managed to offend the aesthetic sensibilities of my classmates and some of the more uptight teachers.

My office doesn't have a dresscode, pretty much you just don't show up to work completely scruffed out or hoochiefied. We're all old enough to know how to dress appropriately. I may wear very bright colors and odd clothing, but all my bases are covered, and I am respectably, if quirkly attired.

thanks! though that doesnt make me change my mind abt England being the next big victim in the euro 2004!!!!!!!!!!¬¬

In all honesty, there are some places where a dress code is necessary. I had pretty much no dress code in high school, but there was the parental one that was: no spaghetti-strap tops, no socks with sandals (thank goodness too, it's a bad Seattle trend), no tube or halter tops, no exposed midriffs (which I wouldn't delibrately do anyways). Over time I pushed the boundaries of the parental dress code to where I would sneak out in a halter top, because my dad didn't care and my mom had to go to work a half hour before I left for school and you were lucky to get me out of bed by then:smile: But I think at offices there should be a light one-nothing that reveals too much cleavage, leg, no midriffs, and no athletic wear. As far as other things go-like tott said-there are events where you should be expected to conform to a certain dress code-for example job interviews, weddings, parties-just follow what it says on the invitation. Like you wouldn't show up to a wedding in a t-shirt and shorts, and you wouldn't wear a cocktail dress to a job interview. I think that for some things they work because a lot of people would otherwise not know the rules so it keeps everyone in line if parameters are set out. On a similar note to that I went to a camp after my sophomore year and one of the reasons why I got kicked off the trip when I tried to go after my senior year (so a few months ago) was because I was dressed too "skankily" but there was no written dress code there so they really were being hypocritical, telling me I broke a dress code I didn't even know about.

I NEED HELP!

On saturday, i'm going to this event:
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/secretpolice/index.asp?page=5

since im new in town (London) I have no idea
how to dress on a ocassion like this one..

I don't want to turn out to come to upp dresses
or to wrong dressed...

since this is The Royal Albert Hall, and the tickets are
pretty expencive, I have a feeling I have to be
preatty fancy dresses..

Can you guys PLEASE help me, so it wont
be a disaster for me! :blush:

La Bellabello said:
I NEED HELP!

On saturday, i'm going to this event:
http://www.amnesty.org.uk/secretpolice/index.asp?page=5

since im new in town (London) I have no idea
how to dress on a ocassion like this one..

I don't want to turn out to come to upp dresses
or to wrong dressed...

since this is The Royal Albert Hall, and the tickets are
pretty expencive, I have a feeling I have to be
preatty fancy dresses..

Can you guys PLEASE help me, so it wont
be a disaster for me! :blush:

Are you a boy or a girl?
I live in London too, welcome to the big smoke :flower:

And to be back OT:

When I have kids, they WILL go to a school with a dress code and all... I know tsome people feel it's a way of alienating kids; however to me it's but a way to standarize and teach kids everybody should be the same in a working environment.

Also, some of the clothes teenage girls wear are an offense. Going to school in a white see through shirt with a black bra, a tight top or a (mini) skirt with no tights is just wrong, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dress codes don't work.
My school has a dress code. It's not very strict. Aside from the usual modesty requirements, our rules are basically no holes in clothes, no pajamas, no frayed hems. See how they're supposed to keep us from looking too grubby? But it doesn't work. The bum in the cargo pants, tucked in t-shirt, andbelt is following dress code, but the girl in the cute, put-together outfit that happens to have an unfinished hem on the skirt gets in trouble.

It's the same for offices. Somebody posted a photo in What Are You Wearing Today wearing a gorgeous printed pair of long shorts. Shorts are kind of casual and likely against a lot of office dress codes, but in her shorts she looks much more professional and put together than her boss in the cheap tie and ill-fitting shirt who is, technically following dress code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->