Edinburgh Shopping

Vogue 28- we have two Waterstones in the city central.
There is a newsagents in St James Centre, which is at the east end of Princes St.
But if you are going up the High St, there is a newsagents there that sells every magazine and newspaper you would ever want.

LucieRibbons - There is a Zara in the centre of Princes St, there is also a Next, H&M and a Topshop. Like i said to Vogue28, if you go up the High St, that is where you should be able to get the magazines that you want.

Hope that helps. :D

I simply crashed Zara, thanks every one. As for magazines; I'm still struggling. I know there's a shopping centre somewhere... but I can't remember the name... that definatley has a WHSmiths with quite a good selection. Any ideas?

...sorry to rain on the parade here but the shops in Edinburgh are pretty pish....and Edinburgh, though pretty, is deeply uncool.....Glasgow is marginally better ...and Aberdeen is worse....

As scout01 said, there is a newsagents west end of High St/The Royal Mile (aka tourist hot spot) called 'International Newsagents' which sells a good selection of fashion magazines, including Vogue Nippon. It's blue, almost diagonally opposite St. Giles' Cathedral and displays foreign newspapers by the doors.

There is a large-ish WHSmith at Waverely Railway Station with a large selection of UK based magazines. St James Centre has a small newsagents which stocks French Elle, Italian Grazia and some European newspapers.

Edinburgh isn't all that great in terms of larger chain stores; Zara, All Saints, Topshop, Harvey Nichols are the ones I'd recommend if you don't have tons of time to spare and those stores are not available where you live, Jenners and John Lewis aren't too bad either. George St. has a nice selection of mid to higher end stores like Space NK, French Connection, Cath Kidston, Paperchase, Pennhaligons, The White Company (my mother adores this store), Coast, Jo Malone, etc. There is also an AmEx store, Hard Rock Cafe and of course Starbucks. Tigerlily is a nice bar situated next to Browns Bar & Brasserie which is one of my favourite places to eat on George St (sticky toffee pudding is :heart:).

There are a couple of stores in Edinburgh I really, really like; The Red Door Gallery on Victoria Street sells some nice arty/gift type things and they also stock Alex&Chloe jewellery. Victoria St. then turns into West Bow which also houses some cute stores; I always buy presents for my sister from Pinocchio which has beautiful, well made children's toys, Analogue stocks a good selection of arty/design books as well as fashion/art magazines, zines and printed t-shirts. The Mutts Nuts has quirky gift bits and cute stationary.

Oh and I can never leave Jim Garrahy's Fudge Kitchen on the east end of High St without buying something,

Last edited by a moderator:
...sorry to rain on the parade here but the shops in Edinburgh are pretty pish....and Edinburgh, though pretty, is deeply uncool.....Glasgow is marginally better ...and Aberdeen is worse....

I think you are being a tad harsh.... and where is it you are from so we can all have a pop at your counrty!!! Or are you just European!

Edinburgh shopping is pretty poor really! Glasgow has gotten so much better recently and I'd say if you're staying in edinburgh for some time, get the train to Glasgow, it'll be worth it! :smile:

theres plenty of places! although it can depend where ya are at the time it decides to pee down haha.

To bad I missed half of these posts. I can't belive I never knew my iPhone had the map on that gave me directions to get to International Newsagents.
I would know my way if I went up again though. I thought shopping in terms of clothes was good, but I hardly had time to have a good shop.

Bumping ^_^

I've been in Edinburgh a lot recently. To say I am bored of Aberdeen would be an understatement.

I've pretty much got the shops sussed out. But I'm looking for reccomendations on good places to eat?

p.s How annoying is Princes Street right now?! Damn tram!

Stockbridge is good for charity and vintage shops, especially Stephen st. Then there is armstrongs in south clerk st or in the grass market. Edinburgh is not great for vintage to be honest...

From what I've been told Glasgow is better. But I still haven't made it to Glasgow! I'm down again in a fortnight so I've got a little time to find somewhere. I'm not looking for anything specific when I go down,maybe just a cute dress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pocahuntresss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->