Elena Makashova s/s 07

Reaction score
Just thought id post this as it sounds like she is quite well known in Russia, and is just about to start showing in Paris.

She recieved quite a good review from WWD and also the JC Report which i will post below.

Makashova, A Russian Tale
Moscow

Elena Makashova gave new meaning to the Soviet-era world when she established her trademarked line in 1999. Founded under the name of Shirpotreb, which literally means, "goods of mass consumption," her intention was to, "protest against eternal haute couture clichßs."

"In the early '90s, after the fall of the Iron Curtain and when unheard-of luxury flooded the country with glitter and fake gems, I felt I needed to stay close to original Russian design," explains Makashova. Today, she is one of Russia's most novel designers, an original talent who combines high fashion standards and creative ideas with moderate prices. As a result, her exclusive collections remain widely affordable.

When all the glamour of Western fashion burst into western Russia, Elena Makashova immediately lost most of her rich clients, who turned to glitzier labels. The "new Russians," who made fortunes overnight suddenly hated the idea of wearing, "fashion goods of original Russian design," recalls Makashova: "it was as if, for them, quality came from the West." Yet other clients - stars and influential intellectuals - have stayed loyal over the years. "They have a different mentality, they understand the work of designers such as Rei Kawakubo or Yamamoto and don't need gold and fur on every outfit," explains a local fashion critic. "Elena's clothes speak to the intellect."

This season, the self-taught, post-Soviet designer showed a military chic collection presented on models, most of which wore United Nations blue helmets. "Staging 19th-century petticoats, tank tops, UN helmets, and chunky military boots, Elena's approach to fabrics has something Japanese about it — scrunching linens and chunky cottons with treatments, and using them in asymmetrical observation-balloon coats, cut-off-at-the-knee jumpsuits, multi-pocket frock coats, lovely layered frocks, and great waxed canvas trench coats," comments Godfrey Deeny, editor of Fashion Wear Daily. Going for military chic can be famously cliché — even offensive — especially in a country where the Red Army is still in every mind, but Makashova's cutting skills and senses of style and humor turned the collection into one of the most inspired shows of Russian Fashion Week.

Looking towards Paris to present future collections, Elena Makashova is a name with a promising future. Need a touch of Ann Demeulemeester crossed with Yamamoto's fluid sense of proportions and soul-searching Russian romanticism in your wardrobe? Look for the cool wind blowing from Russia's Elena Makashova.
-Marie Le Fort

Photos:
Elena Makashova s/s '07

RR3811.jpg
RR3818.jpg
RR3825.jpg

this jacket looks like it is well made, interesting techniques used to construct it.. not sure about those satin pants though!

here is another review from Fashion Wire Daily

Elena Makashova: The UN Can Be Chic

Godfrey Deeny
October 26th, 2006 @ 11:53 AM
Elena Makashova is one of Russia’s most novel designers, an original talent who this season showed a military chic collection, presented on models most of whom wore United Nations blue helmets.

The UN may not be everyone’s favorite flavor in its headquarters city of New York, but Elena surely has a thing for its faded sky blue hue, as was clear from her show, staged in the seven-day Russian Fashion Week that ended Wednesday in Moscow.

Using a slick casting of the sort of mysteriously beautiful Eurasian models that one only finds in Moscow, Elena opened with a phalanx of gals in white 19th century petticoats, tank tops, UN helmets and chunky military boots.

Elena has an almost Japanese attitude towards fabrics, scrunching linens and chunky cottons with treatments and using them in asymmetrical observation balloon coats, cut-off-at-the-knee jumpsuits, multi-pocket frock coats, lovely looking layered frocks and some really great, waxed canvas trenchs.

Makashova also sent out some guys’ looks – officers’ club dandies who favored wrinkled safari jackets, sleek satin pants and some sensational UN blue satin, elongated shoes. All wore headgear – mostly hyper-trophus extensions of baseball caps made in pretty striped fabrics. They all looked like cool dates for cool girls.

Doing military chic can be famously clichéd and even offensive, but Makashova’s cutting skills, sense of style and humor made this a fine show and collection.

Kofi Annan should be pleased.

really lovely. I can definitely see the Demeulemeester equation. But the ultimate style of the collection is quite kindred however to a style close to that of a Tim Van Steenbergen. Her play volume and the shapes of the silhouette of the collection. It's really really pretty,if you ask me.

thanks for bringing this is,fashionistasista* :flower:

i see some TAO for CDG references.... but very lovely indeed! What a talented designer! Very proud too, cuz i'm Russian :wink:

thanks for the thread, fashionistasista:smile: i really like her work, this and the previous collections

seems like she is getting quite a bit of attention these days...
i saw this on the jcreport and it caught my attention...

she must have hired a good publicist!...:P...

i like this collection a lot from what i have seen...
will be watching with interest!..

Last edited by a moderator:
The article seems interesting, I quite like some of the pieces in the way that they are constructed. I agree that she is a name to watch.

thank you for this thread :flower:

I really like the clothes, they're lovely. Definitely keeping an eye on her in the future :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->