Elle Girl ceases publication with June/July issue

violet100

Reaction score
Hachette Folds Elle Girl Mag; Keeps Web Site Alive

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stephanie D. Smith[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]APRIL 04, 2006 -

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hachette Filipacchi Media will cease publication of Elle Girl as a magazine effective with its June/July issue and instead invest in Ellegirl.com and its wireless properties. The announcement was made late Tuesday night.

"It is always unfortunate to have to close a magazine; but today the teen market is increasingly fragmented. To effectively reach these girls, we must invest in the media where they spend most of their time and where we see our greatest growth potential," said Hachette CEO Jack Kliger.

Carol Smith, senior vp, Elle group publishing director and Marta Wohrle, vp, director of digital media, will oversee ElleGirl.com, which will be redesigned immediately with expanded content and a beefed up staff in partnership with teen marketing firm Alloy.

At press time, the fate of editor Christina Kelly and vp, publisher Deb Burns is unclear. Another 60 employees will be affected by the move. "Every effort is being made to position as many people as possible," said a spokesperson for the company.

Elle Girl launched in 2001 under founding editor Brandon Holley in a category dominated by Hearst Magazines' Seventeen and Cosmo Girl, as well as Time Inc.'s Teen People. (Teen Vogue launched soon after Elle Girl.) Last August, however, Holley joined Condé Nast's Jane as editor in chief, leaving Kelly, then executive editor at Elle Girl, to take over as editor.)

Elle Girl seemed to have generated a strong circulation, as well as a solid number of ad pages. For the second half of 2005, paid circulation for the teen title grew 17.9 percent to 601,149, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations. Newsstand sales grew an impressive 21.7 percent. Ad pages for Elle Girl through March rose 15.35 percent to 152 pages, as the title expanded its frequency from bimonthly to ten times a year in 2006.

But Hachette has recently refocused its strategy towards the Internet, and has aggressively expanded its offerings, specifically in publishing Web-only versions for some of its automotive and consumer electronic enthusiast titles such as Road & Track Speed and Road & Track Road Gear. Hachette has also made aggressive efforts to make all of its titles available in digital format this year.

A spokesperson said that Smith plans to publish two editions of Elle Girl as specials next year from the same staff that publishes spinoff Elle Accessories.

[/FONT]from mediaweek.com

It has been off the shelves off major supermarkets around where I live for yonks now. I always found it a bit serious there are much better publications out there.

quite a surprise, i thougt they were doing quite well. It's a cute magazine, but cannot compare to teen vogue's overall look.

it does suck. i never really like magazine websites very much....

makes sense to me :innocent:
I've always preferred Teen Vogue rather than Elle Girl...

seasecrets said:
it does suck. i never really like magazine websites very much....

I agree. I think they'll really have to do a lot to get their website up to scratch.

maganda_x3 said:
i have a subscription to them! i want my money back... haha

they will probably start sending you teen vogue instead. a better mag in my opinion. but i do like the models in elle girl! i have a free digital subscription to ellegirl. i think its a trial thing this year

Is this an international move or only for the American issue?

Teen Vogue is a better magazine, but Ellegirl was a breath of fresh air compared to Cosmogirl and Seventeen - much more fashion, much less "Do you need a boyfriend?!?!?" type things.

Not really surprised....especially considering how many 'girl' magazines are out there....

I never read it myself, but judging from the covers, it seemed a little bit more mature than Cosmo Girl :rolleyes:

I hope this is a joke. I read almost every magazine, and I thought ElleGirl was the last smart magazines for teens. It was always endorsing individuality. And not the stupid Seventeen "Stand Out by Conforming!" way. I am truly upset. It was becoming my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubmissy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->