Emerging Fashion Photographers ... (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

One of my personal favorite fashion photographer so far is:

Kai Z. Feng

He is a London-based Fashion Photographer, and he shoots amazing material for GQ Italia, Harper's, VOGUE Nippon, and VOGUE Italia.

I'll upload some pictures of his work later.

sorry, but it seems to me that so many photographers just repeat the same glossy stuff over and over and over again, instead off creating an unique vision. I mean gray background, a beautylight, I just don't know, but seems to me like we've seen that before...

^i like him a lot since i've seen some of his works in Dazed....
it must be kind of exciting to build stories with him....
i don't envy him.... i envy stylists who work with him.....

I'd take all of these over more jumping studio shots in my mags any day!

Michael Oats

Michael Oats is an amazing fashion photography! He is spanish! I found his work on his blog, michaeloats.blogspot.com !!!

To my surprise, some of his work is unpublished! Its so amazing!

Here are two of his shoots:

'Pas de Panic' by Michael Oats

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Publication: none
Stylist: Michael Oats
Model: Mariló Rubio

Last edited by a moderator:
"Smoking Room"

00.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Publication: None
Stylist: Michael Oats
Model: Olga Ortiz

i think that line is very telling...'i hope carine will see the pictures and give me a phone call'. :innocent:
instantly when i saw these i thought of carine and vogue paris. and i don't know if that's a good thing or not.. i don't know if his style would fit perfectly for vogue paris or if it is just a blatant copy and something so unoriginal that it renders itself instantly useless. :ninja: it just seems so gimmicky and strange. or perhaps i'm missing something and this is the whole point ? is he making fun of himself ? or vogue paris ?

i don't know....someone please explain. :P

he states in smoking room he is inspired by french vogue otherwise i dont know

I see some work from online magazines, and a lot of mock-up tearsheets.

Of course, good photography is not dependent upon an impressive list of credits and tear sheets with text on the images....but I have to wonder....why spend so much time trying to make photos that look like they have actually been published by going to the trouble to actually put a mock layout together with fashion credits and whatnot on the photos? A good photo does not need to have text on it or appear that it has been published to be a good photo.

I see many young photographers doing this these days. Why not intern and assist a working photographer and slowly build up a quality, real portfolio over time? Why the rush to have 1,000 tear sheets overnight?

I see in one of the mock-up editorials, it says "This is the letter where I ask Marc for being photographer of his new ads. Juergen is old fashion"

Michael has a lot of promising talent, but it does bother me a bit to see statements like this. I'm sure it's not intended to be serious, but it just illustrates my point that everyone wants to become an overnight sensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that this is not correct place for this subject, because he is not a profesional photographer.

Anyway, i think there´s no talent in his photographies, if you look, they are bad copies from EN VOGUE, he should give freedom to his own ideas.

Hi everybody.

First of all sorry about my English level. I'm spanish and there are some things that I don't understand and others that I don't know how to explain but I can understand the whole meaning.

Now, I want to give some kind of explanation about what you say here. I didn't wanna do it but I was always afraid of that, and it finally happened.

I always say clearly (maybe not in my blog but in some interviews and when I speak with someone about my work) that, at the moment, fashion photography is for me a game, more than a job. I can't publish all the images I'd like because I live in a small city where I can't get anything (clothes, hairdressers, models, make up...) for my shootings, that's why I'm always in all the credits of my pictures. Then, I created my blog just to do that: publish my pictures and people could see them, and that's why I include all the graphic design in the pictures, the letters, credits and all, to feel in certain way that I'm publishing my pictures the way I'd like them to be published.

I always says that I'm wholy influenced by Vogue Paris and fashion photographers like Hedi Slimane, Testino, Meisel, Terry Richardson... so, when I take the same fonts, and the same design, colours... it's just a wink, but a BIG, CLEAR AND VISIBLE wink to let people know that I do it, because what I don't want to, is to take some pictures inspired in a Marc Jacobs campaign (for example) and not saying it, just for the same reason, because I'm a SUPER-AMATEUR photographer, maybe if someday I gorw up and I'll be able to copy anything without giving explanation, but, by now I prefer to keep clear where I'm taking my influences from.

That's all, just not take it serious and consider it like a game, where I play to make shootings and later I "dream" that they are published on French Vogue or wherever.

Michael.

Thank you for sharing, Michael. I think you made it pretty clear that you are not trying to say that you are more than you are ... just a really good photographer who is not yet paid to do this.

This conversation belongs in a wonderful, but forgotton thread about up and coming photographers who members have discovered. I will merge this thread with that one.

James Mahon

I simply love the stuff he does. He's currently working a lot for agencies in NYC (Supreme, IMG, Marylin, One just to know a few). He's worked also for some cool magazines so far, but he mainly does tests, very very beautiful one :crush:
I truly like his sense for great new faces :crush:

janette_03.jpg

janette_08.jpg

julia_02_01.jpg

julia_02_03.jpg

jamesmahon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->