Erté - Illustrator, Designer, Legend

I know this is visual overload, but I can't stop! they're all so beautiful...:blush:

89.jpg

87.jpg

You took the words right out of my mouth AndoraStar!:heart: Love all the pictures posted.:D

691cc5bd.jpg
f4d3e131.jpg
23b5c901.jpg

visual overload is good:D...i live by it. thanks, utopia!

some favorite pics

Attachments

• erte_1.JPG
    erte_1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 6
  • erte_2.JPG
    erte_2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 9

Attachments

• erte_3.JPG
    erte_3.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 9
  • erte_4.JPG
    erte_4.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 7
that first picture reminds me of your drawings, travolta. hm, of you in general.^_^

^ ah funny annak! :woot: you are very observant/insightful. i used to always draw this box girl --just a box with arms, legs, head..very nondescript, and now all my friends relate me to "box" girl...maybe i have a thing for simple geometry? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
i love erte...his drawings are awesome and the details... amazing. :smile:
i just found out about our illustrations section... so im going through all the threads now.... hehe..

ah, erte=:heart: i love how the characters in his drawings are so mischevious...just look at some of those ladies... theyve got so much attitude! :wink:

I love Erté's work! It is so beautiful, so exquisitely detailed..:heart: so I thought I'd just bump this thread into the present. Tjek out this website it's truely brilliant for anything Erté:wub:

www.erte.com

Samson & Deliliah :heart:

erte_samson_and_delilah.jpg

His series of the letters of the alphabet are wonderful, too.

herndonfineart.com

What an illustrator! He's just wonderful, I love the sinuous silhouette of his figures (that Samson and Delilah one you posted SomethingElse is a brilliant example of what I love about him) and the stylised clothing - it's such a distinctive style he had. I wish I could own a hardback coffee-table book of his collected works though - every single one of them. I would pore over it daily!

Anyway, some of my favourites (but really, they're all favourites:(

link: http://www.erte.ru/graphics-later2.html <-- russian site. There are two link there called 'later graphics' and 'the last works' that contain very fashion magazine oriented stuff (IMO)

I heard once that he would host dinner parties where he would excuse himself from the table between each of the seven (!) courses to change into an even more resplendent and opulent outfit - how in keeping with the Marie Antoinette vibe of the images Mulletproof pointed out. :smile:

Attachments

• Ondee.jpg
    Ondee.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3731_erte_lithograph_deco_7.jpg
    3731_erte_lithograph_deco_7.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 6
  • flowered_cape.jpg
    flowered_cape.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
  • legerete.jpg
    legerete.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone help? I'm looking for his alphabet, specifically the letter G. I had a photocopy but can't get it on the computer as have no access to a scanner.

A photograph of Erté by Kenneth Grifiths, published in British Vogue 1974. Scanned by me.

Attachments

• british_vogue_december_1974__ertesnap.jpg
    british_vogue_december_1974__ertesnap.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 9
thank you! too bad the original was not bigger so we can see his face....

I love with Erte illustrations there is a real "flow" to the figures, they truly appear as if they are moving and dancing, which helps to give them a certain 3-dimensional quality. Great examples of one of the key illustrators of the "golden age of illustration".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speedster2000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->