Fashion Book Releases 2006

Avant Garde

Reaction score
Heres the scoop from Teen Vogue:

Ooh la la! Coinciding with an exhibit at the Musee de la Mode Et Du Textile in Paris, This beautifully illustrated page-turner traces the 75-year history of the famous french house

from amazon.com

sumptuous retrospective of one of the greatest houses in international fashion

Balenciaga Paris traces the designer's collections year by year, from 1937 to 2006, using photos, press cuttings, sketches, and other archival material. The book explores two main periods in depth: 1937-1968, when Cristobal Balenciaga made his name during Paris's golden age of fashion; and 1996-2006, charting the dramatic revival of the House of Balenciaga under Nicolas Ghesquière, one of the most widely admired and celebrated new designers in contemporary fashion. He has co-directed the book's production with Pamela Golbin, curator at the Musée de la Mode et du Textile, Paris, who has compiled the text.

Described by Christian Dior as "the master of us all," Balenciaga's bold genius with cut, line, and fabric mark him out as one of the most daring and original designers in the world of haute couture. His virtuoso command of technique and imaginative exuberance recall his Spanish roots as well as assuring his place in the pantheon of twentieth-century style and elegance. 280 illustrations, 200 in color.

order here

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, i read about this before and already added it to my wish list! it's def a must-buy for me.

I will definately buy the book, because when they sent me an e-mail back in July about the exhibition, i was so disappointed because i will go to Paris in February (unfortunately i can't go earlier...). Talking about BAD LUCK:angry: . Anyways thought i could share!!
balenciagaac8.jpg

i went through the book when i was in london, and its really good. plus its obviously very up to date, so it goes right up to the fall 2006 collection. the only thing i would change though, is the fact its not a hardback - so when your holding it, it tends to flop a bit, but that really doesnt matter...the book is about the same size as other designers books (ie tom ford & dolcegabbana 20years, & v magazine book) but its worth it...and i guess not too expensive. the fall 2006 ads and very old pictures are all in it too

Another book is coming out, In Vogue....
(info & pic from amazon.com)
084782864601ss500sclzzzzzzzv61224277eb6.jpg

Book Description
In Vogue is a fascinating look at the history of the world's most influential magazine. The complete compendium is illustrated with hundreds of covers and archival interiors of past Vogue editions, featuring the work of some of the twentieth century's most respected artists, cover illustrators, and photographers—from Edward Steichen, Toni Frissell, and Erwin Blumenfeld to Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, David Bailey, Helmut Newton, Annie Leibovitz, Mario Testino, Steven Klein, Bruce Webber, and Herb Ritts. In 1909, an entrepreneurial New Yorker named Condé Nast took charge of a struggling society journal and transformed it into the most glamorous fashion magazine of the twentieth century. In Vogue traces the history, development and influence of this media colossus—from its beginning as a social gazette in the late nineteenth century, to the exploration of modern fashion photography and new visuals in the mid-twentieth century, to its status as the top style magazine today. The book explains the makings of the magazine—from runways, to editorial meetings, to the pages of Vogue.The thoroughly researched story incorporates first-person accounts, interviews with editors and photographers, and excerpts from stories written in the magazine by many world-renowned writers, including Truman Capote, Aldous Huxley, Richard Burton, Federico Fellini, and Marcello Mastroianni. Unparalleled in its scope and exceptionally illustrated, In Vogue is sure to be among the most important publications on the subjects of culture, art, fashion, photography, and media.

About the Author
Alberto Oliva and Norberto Angeletti have been working in journalism for 35 years. They have both been keynote speakers at the Magazine Publishers Association of America (MPA) as well as at other international journalism forums, taught magazine courses at the University of Stanford in California and the University of Salamanca in Spain, and are co-authors of the book Magazines that Make History (Florida University Press, 2004).

Product Details

• Hardcover: 440 pages
  • Publisher: Rizzoli (October 10, 2006)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 0847828646
I've pre-ordered it....have to wait until November 2 though:( ...(Shipping:angry: )

Last edited by a moderator:
^great, thanks for the info. i'll keep an eye on that one too...

heu it's already out!!! buy it through amazon.fr! or anyhting french!

New Fashion Books Fall 2006

Books in for Fall

Summer is over, but before the autumnal blues kick in, stock up on the season's great fashion reads to keep you comforted on those bleak fall evenings. Relive those treasured beach moments with a flick through The Bikini Book by Kelly Killoren Bensimon (Thames & Hudson). Learn about the origins of this skimpy little number and be seduced by the vision of some of the ultimate bikini beauties. including Ursula Andress and Brigitte Bardot, as they emerge from the sea in their two-pieces looking effortlessly stylish.

On the masculine front, Jeremy Hackett's soon to be published Mr Classic (Thames & Hudson) pays homage to the fuss free, clean, and crisp menswear style that is currently in vogue. Yet another manly offering — albeit a little edgier than Mr Classic — is Rebel Style by G. Bruce Boyer (Assouline). Be prepared to encounter cinematic rebels ranging from a tousle-haired Marlon Brando to a motorcycle riding Peter Fonda.

There's been no shortage of slick photography books this year. Two editions of special note, both published by Steidl, are A Message for You by Guy Bourdin and Studio by Paolo Roversi. The former is a two-volume book presenting a wide spectrum of Bourdin's brilliantly controversial work, shot at the height of his fame in the '70s. Equally alluring is the ethereal signature of Paolo Roversi. Studio is designed as a series of gatefolds unveiling photographs spanning 20 years of the fashion photographer's career.

Thames & Hudson offers a pair of books on offer celebrating the work of some of the fashion world's absolute heavyweights. Balenciaga Paris , by Pamela Golbin and Fabien Baron, for instance, was published to coincide with the Balenciaga exhibition organized by the Musée de la Mode et du Textile in Paris, and takes the reader through the rich history of the renowned label. Similarly comprehensive and complete is Gucci by Gucci by Sarah Mower, in which much of Gucci's archive has been revealed.

-Emma Holmqvist

jcreport.com

thanks for posting, finally a roversi book other than 'nudi', hurrah!

Bourdin's book is great. Even the packaging and presentation is sexy. :smile:

neimanmarcus.com has the gucci by gucci book available in its christmas book...$150

NMH1K7L_mp.jpg

Limited to just 4,000 copies worldwide, Gucci by Gucci captures the magic of the fashion empire with topics from Jackie O. to Tom Ford's minimalist masterpiece creations. 452 pages with 325 color and black-and-white illustrations, and seven color prints. 13 1/2"H x 10 1/2"W x 2"D, with slip case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->