Fetishizing of Ethnic Cultures for a Western Audience

oceanharlot

stories everywhere
Reaction score
The current hot trend right now is the ethnic trend. Often we as consumers forget to look at the products we buy as just that, a product. We rarely think of where and how and why that product came about. Most of us look at the wood bangles as cute and interesting accessories, without looking into why they are appealing to us in the Western World.

For instance, I am currently living in Hawaii, where many come to visit and relax from all over the globe. Most take trinkets home. However most of these trinkets are not telling the true story of Hawaii at all. Hawaiian shirts and hula girls for your car and tiki mugs are not real Hawaii. When people here talk about “real Hawaii” they are talking about things that not even I know all that much about. Things that are seen and experienced only by those who live here and love here and die here. Those who come to Waikiki and lie on the beach and then go home, never experience Real Hawaii, and most Hawaiian natives like it that way. Then there is still something of Hawaii that they can call the true essence, rather than some schematic design of what it may or may not be.

So when a trend like the current ethnic trend comes about, there needs to be a discussion about what it means to wear an African print, when you live in Minnesota. What it means when someone in Paris wears a Kimono. Young girls all over America are wearing Moroccan slippers, is there anything wrong with that? What about a fashionista wearing Tibetian Prayer beads? What happens to the cultural dynamic when cultures are picked apart and put in a scenario that that were not intended for? How can we as people feel alright with wearing an item that was intended for only religious purposes? To help make my point, how do devout Catholics feel when they see someone who is a protestant wearing a rosary as a fashion accessory? Yet, there is no strong reaction when someone wears an Indian beaded caftan...

What does this fetishizing of different cultures into a skewed view of that culture ultimately lead to? Why do Western cultures feel this need to pull from other cultures and present them in a manner not befitting them? What will this lead to in the future? When do you draw the line? How do people that have had pieces of their culture integrated into mainstream fashion feel about this? Is there foreseeable way to keep sacred, sacred but still continue to enjoy a diverse fashion experience?

*sigh*...someone has been trying to start this debate on just about every thread there is on this forum.

I don't think fashion was meant to be taken so seriously.How does that same person from Minnesota feel about the globalisation of the "prairie" look?How do the descendents of the Victorians feel when I,a South African of mixed heritage,wear "Victoriana"? The Chinese when everyone goes around in "Chinoiserie"???

Hopefully they don't think too much about this,just as I don't think too much (beyond the occasional snigger or guffaw) about their "African" look.

I think that these forms of fashion,while unappealing to me,celebrate the human form and being in all its variety.

There are always people out there who like to see racial and cultural slurs and slants in everything they see.I am happy not to be one of those.

It's the global village out there.No-one is an island any more.Get used to it.

i think these are good questions to be thinking about oceanharlot. :flower:
people will use these symbols when they can benefit from them, unfortuntately it is business. it does however reflect current outlooks, and it is definately a way to analyze the human condition. so i can't really answer your question fully, but i think it is always good to be critically thinking and aware.

there is a HUGE debate on this subject in everything from art to literature to philosophy, I definetly do not think that it can be easily answered, but I don't think it should be easily brushed away either.

I think that it is a good thing that almost nothing is sacred anymore and we should enjoy it. In fashion, or with the current "ethnic" trend, it means simply that fashion lovers can focus more on what they like, what they think looks good, or what they find interesting much more than they have to worry about placing it within a specific cultural/social framework or cultural "meaning."

As for drawing influence from other cultures, I think that perhaps it should simply be viewed as an interest in different ideas, or a different way of cutting or dressing the body. As QuirkyCool said, "I don't think fashion was meant to be taken so seriously." Fashion, of course, has its social applications, but it is best when it is what it is... namely CLOTHES.

I think that fashion only suffers when it tries to tackle so many different bases and arenas and gets outside of being a dialogue about dressing the body. Or, in other words, Fashion suffers when it tries to become too culturally self-important. The ideas of cultural fetishization or exploitation are certainly important ones; but important ideas do not necessarily equate to great clothes. If one focuses so much on the cultural ramifications of a particular design/motif in place of that motif itself, the entire design suffers. People become afraid to take chances or make mistakes. Fashion ought to be "pure" in its approach to what it does... namely incorporate and SHOW the best ideas in how to put things on the human body, from wherever they may come.

So, to all of your final questions, "What does this fetishizing of different cultures into a skewed view of that culture ultimately lead to? Why do Western cultures feel this need to pull from other cultures and present them in a manner not befitting them? What will this lead to in the future? When do you draw the line? How do people that have had pieces of their culture integrated into mainstream fashion feel about this? Is there foreseeable way to keep sacred, sacred but still continue to enjoy a diverse fashion experience?" I would simply say that fashion should be fashion and leave the cultural ramifications to the anthropologists. If we didn't feel completely free to express our fashion ideas (and to make fashion mistakes, by which we learn)... then we would all be wearing the same plain, utopian boxy garments from 1960's sci-fi movies. Or, to be honest, fashion simply wouldn't exist.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
^ it's a form of propaganda.. it is selling you a fantasy. so it is good to see it for what it is, but in terms of analyzing particular trends in ethnicity it can only inform you so far, you cannot predict or necessarily ration because trends are fleeting. for instance, i don't really believe what magazines want to promote because they have their own agenda. people will constantly reference what they know -- add on to it or create hybrids. fashion is no different. the amount of exposure and awareness will only increase via technology / inter connectiveness etc which creates a larger variety of looks to adopt and experiment with. this is not necessarily bad, but it can be confusing, and as long as you keep in mind what you find sacred all the other crap doesn't matter

edit: i think it is valid to analyze trends/ fashion/ pop culture in ways to keep abreast on current culture which is most definately valid. it is a big deal when you are unaware of falling prey to certain tactics, and you are at the mercy of culture, which most of of are unforunately. for instance, the african trend is very valid if you work in fashion, other than that how on earth on you going to benefit from it? it is very difficult to be informed about a culture to any real degree through clothing unless you are already seeking answers to begin with.

i think those are definately good questions and questions worth asking. my two cents:

what if i, i white and native american girl from maine, just happen to like the way those african prints look? (i'm not actually into them, but for arguments sake). what if i'm not trying to look african or even trying to be trendy and wear the latest thing...what if i just see that dress in the window and think wow, thats pretty, and buy it? theres no negative intent there, i'm not trying to steal anyones culture from them..i'm trying to wear a pretty dress. at the same time i dont think ppl should be ignorant-i think its good to know that hey, thats a print that comes from africa that a certain tribe wears. but i dont think a chick from the usa wearing it is neccesarily a bad thing.

about the religious symbols-where do you draw the line tho? what if you found out tomorrow that your favorite necklace, that circle of blue and green beads with the x shape on the bottom, is sacred to the nomudi tribe and its considered blashemous and disrespectful if you wear it. youve never heard of the nomudi tribe before today. are you really going to take it off and never wear it again? no... because you were wearing it cuz you thought it looked pretty, not because you were making light of someone else's religion.

thats how i feel anyways. ppl should be knowledgable if at all possible about where these ethnic trends are coming from, but i dont think its a bad thing that we want to wear ethnic inspired clothes. i think for most people its just a matter of seeing something they find attractive, and wearing it, as simple as that.

Coming from a culture where kimonos are worn (well rarely now adays) and I don't find it surprising that other cultures have found them fascinating and beautiful as well. Kimonos were once part of Japans everyday clothing, art, culture and beauty. and personally, I have no problem with people being inspired by them. I would like the people that are wearing them to be aware of where they came from though...
But, I do think people should draw the line when it comes to religious symbols and clothing. If I were a buddhist priest (just for an example) and I saw someone in some other country that was not a buddhist priest, which was of a totally different religion, and was wearing an ceremonial outfit (cutting various places off to make it more revealing) I would probably be offended.

Humans have always been inspired by each others culture. From that inspiration, I think its natural for human beings to mix and combine to make something new. I don't blame people for liking beautiful patterns from foreign countries... I just think its very important for people to know where its coming from, and from what context.

I can't answer your question directly I guess... but I do have the same questions about this whole issue.

excellent discussion, moved to tredspotting where it belongs
thanks ocean for bringing the topic up..
i'll post later

Im from India, and the other daw i saw March Jacobs selling Indian KOHLKAPURIS (leather slippers) I had a good laugh at that.

But hoesntly it makes me happy to see that more people want to wear thigns of Indian origin. Kaftans or kurtas or saris...

As for the "om" symbol, it is believed to be the UNIVERSAL sound. Hence, anyone can choose to use it. but whether it be an om or the cross, it shd be used respectfully.

thats the important part.

Hrmm, this is an interesting topic.

My family, as I, are Muslim. I think I would be offended if I saw the likes of Paris Hilton wearing/carrying a Tasbih for "fashion".

That is not cool, and definetly not hot.

Just as IMO it would be very offensive if...say....fifty cents or some other rapper wore a yamaka as a replacement for the rag (dorag) they normaly wear on there heads.

It should not be done.

I want to pause for a moment and ponder certain Japanese youth who have chosen to wear the old kimono with new understanding (irony, at times). Was it not once the preferred garment of said generation's (great?)grandmothers, and isn't it no longer a standard in everyday dress? It holds neither the significance nor the relevance that it once did, and in being reinterpreted by a new generation I think it poses some questions similar to those mentioned above, ie., what happens when items which are assumed to have an inherent meaning, or purpose, are fitted to best suit newly-established needs (or wants)? Interesting, that this same question can be brought up while examining the dynamic of a culture itself.

i still want to know if someone had a beautiful piece of jewelry that theyd found somewhere a couple years ago, and wore it often, and was walking down the street one day and had someone come up to them and say "wow, where'd you get that? thats a nomudi ceremonial necklace, only the priests are allowed to wear that in our culture, for anyone else to do it is very disrespectful".... would you take it off and not wear it anymore? or do we only "respect" religious icons that we know, like a crucifix, yarmulke (not sure how to spell that) ect ?

personally i disagree about treating religious icons with "respect" but i know and accept that i'm in the minority on that. my point is that an item can have signifigance to anyone for any reason-what an item means to me it might not mean to you, what it means to ppl who live in country a isnt neccessarily what it'll mean to people in country b. i do think that if someone wears something specifically to offend certain ppl-like if someone hated christians so they went around wearing an upside down cross-well, its rude, but hey, its just some person being rude, its not really something one should get upset over. if your faith in your religion is sound what do you care if someone hates christianity and wears an upside down cross? why not just say "damn, what a lameass" and leave it at that?

basically, i dont want anyone telling me what i can and cant or should and shouldnt wear, based on what it means to other people. what about what it means to me?

this sort of co=opting of various ethnic looks has been going on for quite some time now...

and there don't seem to be ANY negative RAMIFICATIONS...
only the broadening of the universal understanding of that particular culture...
which is a good thing...imo...

this is the era of globalization......
maybe it's all going to blend into one after a while...
:flower:

regarding adapting religious 'ornaments'

about a year or more ago, i wanted a muslim beads prayer 'necklace' so i went and bought a unique one from an african lady's stand in north paris. When i bought it, she looked in my eyes and she said 'this is something we use to pray for' and i went 'yes, i know, its beautiful' ..i have it on my wall, only today i tried to wear it once more as a necklace cause it suited my look, i just coudnt do it.. i've never worn these beads and i never will.. there is this lady's voice in my ears..still

Lena said:
regarding adapting religious 'ornaments'

about a year or more ago, i wanted a muslim beads prayer 'necklace' so i went and bought a unique one from an african lady's stand in north paris. When i bought it, she looked in my eyes and she said 'this is something we use to pray for' and i went 'yes, i know, its beautiful' ..i have it on my wall, only today i tried to wear it once more as a necklace cause it suited my look, i just coudnt do it.. i've never worn these beads and i never will.. there is this lady's voice in my ears..still

I must say that with regard to religious paraphernalia I feel the same way.Even in my 80's "I wannaBEEEE Madonna" phase I was unable to bring myself to wear a crucifix.And no matter how badly I wanted to buy a Buddha for myself in Thailand I didn't,because they are supposed to be given as gifts.

As far as the religious things go one has to remain conscious of what you are doing (and where) at all times.

It's the flat heeled sandals sparking debate that gets to me:lol: .

I would have no problem if it suddenly became cool to wear ao dai around, in fact, I think i celebrate it whenever a culture makes it's way into fashion. It's a sign to me that yes, this culture makes and wears beautiful things. No one is doing it to be offensive, most likely they really admire that culture's clothing, which I like.

However, I'm sort of torn on the religious artifacts thing. I have two rosarys and this gorgeous cross, but I rarely wear any of them becuase it's not what i believe. I wouldn't find it offensive if people wore the symbols of my religion, but I can see where other people would be offended. There is a big diffrence between traditional clothing and religious icons. You don't tend to believe or have faith in clothing (with the exception of the head adornments some religions use), but you do have faith in the cross, the pentagram, the prayer beads etc etc.

I wouldn't wear anything to do with religion as i dont know it would seeem wrong, but i would have no problem with wearing clothes from other cultures,
as they were western clothes dont they ??
I wouldnt be offeneded if i saw some one walking around africa in a suit which is stereotypicaly english.
I think this debate is based on stereo types of national dress and only people from those countries can wear them, but to me it doesnt bother me at sall i think people can wear what ever they want.
I think people can look far more tastefull in chinese slippers and silk, even iuf they are not asian then wearing a paris hilton esqe outfit, at the end of the day i think it is down to personal preference.
If some one got offended by it though id go get changed.

When non muslim visit mosques etc people are exspected to applie with the dress codes isnt this just the same thing ??

From a western point of view I think that for the most part the cultural influences in fashion are a wonderful thing. In a very small way it broadens horizons. For instance, I've never been to Africa myself, but when I see a collection inspired by the cultures of Africa it facinates me because for me it's different then what I see everyday. However, I do think that there is a fine line between respectfully borrowing from a culture and exploiting/making a mockery of it.

Religion however is something a little different. I think that it needs to be respected more then just a general look at a culture because it is so sacred. I really wouldn't wear anything inspired by religion unless I had a vague knowledge of it, and a respect for it as well.

I find it funny that someone's debating flat sandals (not here, but QuirkyCool mentioned it). That's taking the p.c. mentality a bit too far.
I feel religion is a completely different thing. I'm atheist, but I have Buddhist and Hindu statues in my home. I've educated myself on these religions and their teachings/stories (well, as much as I can), and I treat the statues with the utmost respect. Do you guys think that as long as there's education/respect, it is okay?
That being said, I saw the most cheesy/disrespectful shirt on eBay. It was some awful tie-dye and had a picture of Shiva and Parvati on it. The seller (very Christian, had Jesus quotes all over the auction) describes it as "some Egyptian princess" and so on! I had to e-mail the seller to let them know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamal2isgood
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->