first big handbag.. any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been saving up for my first designer bag and I've got about $900. Thing is, I really don't know what to buy.. I've looked at so many and I quite like the LV Josephine
p10428190_ph_hero.jpg
and Lucille
p10473725_ph_hero.jpg
. You think those would be good for everyday and stuff? I don't want a very small bag yet not a huge one either (no bigger than a le dix medium). I don't want something very trendy because I want to be able to use my bag for awhile.. since I won't be buying another one after this for a bit. I've been lurking around and I think this is a very good place to come and ask this sort of thing :D Sooo anyways, if you were 16 and getting your first big bag what would you buy? Nothing over 1000 please :P:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like the Josephine.. it's one of the few LV's that I actuallywould want for myself

I prefer the LV epi line to the LV Josephine ;

LV Speedy $820.00
p10333247_ph_althero_Myrtille.jpg

LV Alma $ 970.00
p10260279_ph_althero_New_Red.jpg

LV Jasmin $ 970.00
p10260308_ph_hero.jpg

The LV Jasmin is really nice! I personally like the LV Epi line too, more discreet and classy.

But if it has to be one from the mini-monogram series...I say the Josephine.
It's a good size and you can carry it almost anywhere.

One other think I love about epi line is that the bag's aged very well and very easy to look after I have few of them and 5 - 6 years on the bags still looks good. Mind you that the LV Josephine once it's get dirty it's hard to clean.

ooh! the jasmin..! :D I like! I'm also looking at the petit noe
p10520907_ph_hero.jpg
what do you guys think of that? or the soufflot?
p10333220_ph_hero.jpg

oh and why is the josephine hard to clean? yipes I dont want that to happen :shock:

It's just the mini-monogram series in general, I have heard horror stories about the fabric discolouring.. so.. :blink:

The soufflot is another fabulous choice too. I have one and I love mine to bits.
The "baby" soufflot also helps you to keep ur bag organised and yup the Epi line ages really well....:heart:

^ yeap you're right the mini monogram line are made of Non-coated canvas therefore when the bag get dirty it's very hard to clean.

Yes I also quite like the soufflot too :smile:

I want something I can carry on my shoulder, I don't know the bags that are carried by hand only sorta bug me for some reason :P I really really like the Soufflot & Noe. Anyone own a petit noe.. how do you like it?

Im also kinda owndering if there's other brands I should be checking out

I think that the LV Josephine is one of my favorites. It is so classic. I enjoy the khaki and brown the most. If I were you, I would get that one! A little out of my price range right now! However, if I were only able........ :D

LV joesphine isnt bad, its very functional but its not leather so i dont think it deserves the $900 price tag. its a classic design, but i dont know if the bag will hold up for that long.. the canvas gets dirty easily and its not as durable as coated canvas or leather bags.

i dont think those LV epi bags are good for everyday use to someone whos only 16..

you might have a very mature style, but still...

you are not obviously not looking for a trendy bag, so what about marc jacobs?

p.gif
Marc Jacobs Collection
Multi Pocket Handbag, Spring Collection
$895.00
p.gif
p.gif
p.gif

p.gif
Marc Jacobs Collection
Stella Bag
$975.00
they both fall under your price range, and these bags go on sale at the end of the season so you can probably get them for 600-700.

if you really want an LV, i think this vernis tote would look cute. i like the indigo.
p10189011_ph_althero_Indigo.jpg

SHOWN HERE: Indigo
p.gif
p.gif
p.gif
CLICK A COLOR its $635.

I wouldn't pay in full RRP for MJ bags as they seem going on sales so quick. But I do agree with the LV vernis tote it's is very cute and looks younger than the epi line. Judging from my experience of my vernis Houston it's held up pretty well I have it for more than 4 years now.

I dont recommend LV, because the Epi and Suhali are the only acceptable materials and they're too mature and too expensive, respectively. You could work the Monogram Canvas but I have to know your sense of style, if it'll look fake or not.

I think Dooney & Bourke and Coach would be better values, they have classic bags and they're much better values...

Coach $348.00
5031_SVSN_d1.jpg

Coach $298.00
3653_d1.jpg

Dooney & Bourke $310.00
MBC0_l.jpg

Dooney & Bourke $255.00
R184_l.jpg

Those Marc Jacob's are nice too...Who else has nice bags...Hmm...

I LOVE the dooney NILE line...... I am getting ready to buy a new nile wallet!
I agree that this selection really just depends on your own personally style and what you already have that will be going with this bag.... Good Luck! :smile:

Luvpink

ooh those mj bags look nice. i think the black one is kinda big though? :P i was looking at another one just the other day, but i don't know what it's called heh. The white one is really pretty.. does it come in black?

not too fond of the lv tote, lol.

i saw coach! i really like some of them and some are blah because i didn't like some of the colors or big logos. I like the duffle and black hobo and some of the other rainbow ones.

I didnt even know that those were Dooney and Bourke at first. It never occured to me to go look into them because I see their ads a lot and I dont dig the whole rainbow and hearts thing and my friends own them and they just didnt appeal to me. So that ones called the nile line.. hmmm..
by the way..thanks ,all.. some of these are so nice :heart:

^^I have a black stella, and I love it more and more each day. I think it seems big, but really it isnt (imo). It looks better with age and holds a lot, but doesnt weigh too much, I could go on and on.

The stella hooked me on that style or line from MJ and designer in general, it is so well made. I have the matching wallet too, great as well. I love the white one posted above, and maybe the shoulder version might work better for you?

p10332738_ph_hero.jpg

Ribera MM $925
p10388395_ph_hero.jpg

or the Ribera Mini $750
p10467843_ph_hero.jpg

Alma $795
The Burberry Cinda bag in leather $870

how about marc jacobs stella? Or do you just want it to be LV?:wink:

What about Gucci bags? I think that most styles are more workable for younger gals than LV bags.

NeimanMarcus.com currently has a whole bunch of Marc Jacobs' handbags on sale including:

1. MJ Blake Bag (sale $712.00, orig. $950.00)
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod14700277&parentId=cat7230746&masterId=cat8460736&index=13&cmCat=home2

2. MJ Grace Bag (sale $697.00, orig. $995.00)
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod20590066&parentId=cat7230746&masterId=cat8460736&index=10&cmCat=home2

3. MJ Venetia Satchel (sale $682.00, orig. $975.00)
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod17210326&parentId=cat7230746&masterId=cat8460736&index=11&cmCat=home2

Free shipping/handling ($175+) when you use promotional code: FIRST05

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->