Ford-less Gucci

I think it's totally about personal tastes.....if you like Ford or what he's done then you'd probably acknowledge it, if you don't then you're less likely to see it.

This is my stance :flower:

Originally posted by plasticine20@Oct 22 2004, 07:16 PM
I agree. I usually really like reading what Faust and Scott post... but this time I think it's unecessary. Just because people like some designers that aren't "avante-garde" or belgian(just an example) doesn't make their opinions any less valuable. I'm tired of people sticking their snooty noses in the air and ridiculing others who don't share their same taste or knowledge. Get over yourselves.

[snapback]404636[/snapback]​

I don't think they are being any snootyer than another person saying CDG or Margiela is 'ugly'. I don't thinkw e are riduculing any body any more than they ridicule are taste, we probably just put up a better argument.

Just becuas we don't appreciaet the main stream dos not make us snobs, and if it dos then i'd rather be a snob that a sheep. I liek originality and indviduality and I don't like tom ford, so shoot me.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Oct 22 2004, 10:17 PM
I don't think they are being any snootyer than another person saying CDG or Margiela is 'ugly'. I don't thinkw e are riduculing any body any more than they ridicule are taste, we probably just put up a better argument.

Just becuas we don't appreciaet the main stream dos not make us snobs, and if it dos then i'd rather be a snob that a sheep. I liek originality and indviduality and I don't like tom ford, so shoot me.
[snapback]404677[/snapback]​
Plasticine does have a point, after a while it comes off sounding like you think you're better and have a higher level of knowledge then those who do like the mainstream, even if that's not your intention.

on that note, some of us do like Tom Ford, so shoot us.......

Oh and I don't know about anyone else, but as for me I resent being labeled a sheep because I can relate my style to something mainstream.....I have formed my own opinons and hardly need anybody to influnce them. I do like Gucci for more then the fact that it's a globally recognized brand and is one of the most popular houses these days. Wouldn't it be more fitting to call me a sheep if I pretended to like the avante garde just so I didn't get criticized?

Call me a sheep if you must but I'm true to my style and tastes, and THAT is what individuality is really about.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Oct 22 2004, 10:17 PM

[snapback]404677[/snapback]​

Oh, no I don't think the others or you are complete snobs or anything. I like you and your new orange shoes and I do respect that you don't like tom ford :flower: . Anyways, I can sometimes be a snob myself; but I guess that happens with anything one is passionate about. In that regard, I understand the views of faust and scott. I just didn't like how this was getting too personal.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 21 2004, 04:26 PM
stores like barneys don't buy your clothes to display them. barneys has a large customer base and knows what they like. again, i say there's nothing wrong with it, it's the nature of the business. just because you happen to disagree with tom ford's personal vision does not mean he should not be lauded for presenting that vision to the world and have millions buy in to it.
[snapback]403777[/snapback]​

are you suggesting that barney's carries gucci?...because i don't believe they do..you have to go to bergdorf and saks where all the surgery sirens shop to find it...

as you said...barney's caters to a specific clientele... :innocent:

Originally posted by kimair@Oct 19 2004, 07:49 PM
no one would even care about Gucci if it wasn't for Tom Ford. Remember Gucci fashion shows before he came on board? I don't. You may love him (and I do) or hate him, but he revolutionized and revitalized the house. Everybody wanted:

- the red velvet suit with satin shirt
- horsebit loafer
- white jersey cutout dresses
- snake handbag
- satin chinioserie dresses and kimonos
- yellow fur chubby

and countless other pieces that everyone was dying to have. And the ad campaigns were incredible!
[snapback]402241[/snapback]​

kimair...if you do a little homework...you will find that the reason you do not remember any fashion shows before tom ford is not because his were so phenomenally better or anything...

but...

because there never was one before...!!! :rolleyes:

that's what he and several others (including AMANDA HARLECH) were hired to do for the first time...a prize to anyone who can tell me who amanda harlech is... :innocent:

on another note...YELLOW CHUBBY!?!?!... :o :sick: ...yikes...! no thank you!

kimair...if you do a little homework...you will find that the reason you do not remember any fashion shows before tom ford is not because his were so phenomenally better or anything...

but...

because there never was one before...!!!

that's what he and several others (including AMANDA HARLECH) were hired to do for the first time...a prize to anyone who can tell me who amanda harlech is...

Do you mean never any Gucci shows before Tom Ford, or in general?

Amanda Harlech is Karl Lagerfelds muse (or was) and she works for Chanel-i think!

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Oct 25 2004, 04:15 PM
Do you mean never any Gucci shows before Tom Ford, or in general?

Amanda Harlech is Karl Lagerfelds muse (or was) and she works for Chanel-i think!
[snapback]406560[/snapback]​

gucci never had a collection before hiring tom ford and amanda harlech et al...
:flower:

and you are right about amanda harlech...excellent... :mohawk:
do you know what she did before going to work at her cushy job at chanel...?
she worked with tom ford at gucci and helped to create the first few collections for gucci ...
in early interviews tom talked about how most of the early collections were things just taken out of her wardrobe and then copied... :o :innocent: vintage pieces and kaftans...etc...

THAT is why I do not consider tom ford a designer...but a stylist...he PUT TOGETHER a collection...he never DESIGNED one...
:P :lol:

marc jacobs is the same...he copies loads of vintage dresses and patterns that he gets on ebay and other places... it's a joke really... :ninja:

...and they're laughing all the way to the bank because consumer's are willing to accept such a low standard... very depressing in a market where young designers with real talent can't get a break... :( :doh:

ps...do you know who took over amanda's role when she left to go to chanel?... :flower:

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Oct 25 2004, 05:33 PM
Gotcha- thanks for the info Softgrey :flower:
[snapback]406616[/snapback]​

no problem... :flower:

would that be the current Gucci designer?

nope...it was actually another stylist...carine roitfeld...who styled all those fantastic gucci ads early on which mario testino shot...the ones that looked like they were taken with a surveillance camera...with the metal stilettos... her style is a bit tougher and edgier than amanda's and you could see more bondage references when she became involved...more leather and crosses...etc...

she is now the editor in chief of french vogue... :flower:

imo...gucci has been going steadily downhill ever since she left... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 25 2004, 02:55 PM

but...

because there never was one before...!!! :rolleyes:

that's what he and several others (including AMANDA HARLECH) were hired to do for the first time...a prize to anyone who can tell me who amanda harlech is... :innocent:

on another note...YELLOW CHUBBY!?!?!... :o :sick: ...yikes...! no thank you!
[snapback]406442[/snapback]​

i see your point softie, and i did some research this weekend, and you're right about the shows. i guess my point was that he put gucci on the fashion map. they were in a state of turmoil and their reputation was tarnished among those who buy and write about fashion. he took the house and turned it around, made people notice gucci, for better or worse. like i've said, if it wasn't for him, this thread wouldn't even exist.

and i know the yellow chubby wasn't a good "must-have;" i was trying to think of things off the top of my head.

btw, i thought amanda harlech worked with john galliano before moving on to chanel...

Originally posted by kimair@Oct 25 2004, 06:30 PM
i see your point softie, and i did some research this weekend, and you're right about the shows. i guess my point was that he put gucci on the fashion map.

btw, i thought amanda harlech worked with john galliano before moving on to chanel...
[snapback]406666[/snapback]​

he did do that with the help of the very talented women i've mentioned...i think he lost it after that...

and it's true that amanda worked with galliano...she is credited by some with having 'discovered' him...she brought him to the attention of the 'right people' at the very least...she hired him to make a skirt in the shape of a fan for an album cover she was styling and they began working together from there...
the album was by ex-sex pistol manager and vivienne westwood's former beau...malcolm mcclaren...

:flower:

i think she is brilliant...but i hear she's also a bit mad... :P ...but in a good way... :heart:

Originally posted by plasticine20@Oct 22 2004, 09:16 PM
I agree. I usually really like reading what Faust and Scott post... but this time I think it's unecessary. Just because people like some designers that aren't "avante-garde" or belgian(just an example) doesn't make their opinions any less valuable. I'm tired of people sticking their snooty noses in the air and ridiculing others who don't share their same taste or knowledge. Get over yourselves.
Don't get me wrong, I love designers such as McQueen, Helmet Lang, Demeulemeester, Westwood, Theyskens, yamamoto, etc that you all drool over. I do have an appreciation for craftmanship and originally But I also surely know that if i can afford some whimsysparkleyfrufru dress with silk flowers coming out the *** from Heatherette, I'd be prancing around the streets in it. And if I could get my hands on anything from the F/W 2003 Gucci collection, I'd be a very, very happy girl.

Anyways, I think people should leave those with the "mainstream America" taste in fashion alone... when there are more of them, it just makes you look better.
[snapback]404636[/snapback]​

Let me know when you go prancing in that dress, I'll bring a camera.

Lostinnj, I merely commented on your blindness after you mentioned Jacobs and Kors as mavericks of design, when anyone will tell you that they are the blandest of the lot (except paid media, of course). Don't take offence, it makes you look insecure. You can like Gucci all you want, I'm used to living in the world of kitsch. In the world of jlos and brittney spears I don't expect anything else from them masses. I just wish people would raise their standards, that's all.

carine roitfeld

How did I miss that? I actually knew that one! :doh:

Lostinnj, I merely commented on your blindness after you mentioned Jacobs and Kors as mavericks of design, when anyone will tell you that they are the blandest of the lot (except paid media, of course). Don't take offence, it makes you look insecure. You can like Gucci all you want, I'm used to living in the world of kitsch. In the world of jlos and brittney spears I don't expect anything else from them masses. I just wish people would raise their standards, that's all.

Ok :flower:

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 22 2004, 11:53 PM
I do like Gucci for more then the fact that it's a globally recognized brand and is one of the most popular houses these days.
[snapback]404710[/snapback]​

Me too.

Also, even though the Nov. Elle is the crappiest issue this year, there's this gem of Tom Ford from his younger days:

tf.jpg

well...it looks like SOMEONE'S had some work done... :innocent:

thx atelier...that's brilliant...

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 26 2004, 03:54 AM
well...it looks like SOMEONE'S had some work done... :innocent:

thx atelier...that's brilliant...
[snapback]406975[/snapback]​

now, now softgrey maybe he had nasal problems that forced him to get a nose job... :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->