Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself

Reaction score
so my question is aimed at fashion stylists, but could apply to anyone who does freelance photography, writing, etc.

If you're not represented by an agency, how do you get your name/portfolio/website out there besides networking? are there any websites or industry publications that are important to be listed in? i've tried some production websites, but often those are for film not print.

you can make a self promotional piece for yourself...
like a direct mail piece or an oversized postcard...

getting involved with local organizations and events is also a great way to network and meet people that you can work for/with...

As far as a place to put a listing ... I've not really found anything for print. It's all networking, marketing to ther people who hire and consistent and regular follow up. Probably the hardest part of the job for any creative person ... the business part of this biz.

ok so i'm developing a postcard sized promo piece, what do you think of this? (geared towards more commercial clients rather than high fashion)
JDcompcard.jpg

It looks mediocre. Just one suggestion-- change the font you have set for your name & info. It looks way too PACMAN circa the 1980s. Use a professional font that is more harmonious with your photos and your profession. You are not a software analyst. Comprenez-vous?

Last edited by a moderator:
smashin,you should get your portrait and work showcase on iqons.com. i cannot tell you the response i got there already for my project i am curating.

smashin, nice seeing you around after all this time, i like the card .. visit igons, scott is right

marsmars said:
It looks mediocre. Just one suggestion-- change the font you have set for your name & info. It looks way too PACMAN circa the 1980s. Use a professional font that is more harmonious with your photos and your profession. You are not a software analyst. Comprenez-vous?

Ditto :flower:

ok so, what types of people do you market yourself to as a stylist? Photographers? Ad agencies? are there any others i'm not thinking of?

For print work ... working fashion and commercial photographers, for sure. and ad agencies ... plus art directors and photoshoot producers, photo studios that both shoot for commercial clients directly and/or provide full studio services for other photographers, designers/retailers who do their own ads and catalogs (not produced by ad agencies, etc.). .... anyone who advertises or has a web site and uses models.

There are probably lots more ideas that I'm not thinking of ... perhaps someone else can add to this?

what if you are looking to already have a job in fashion, but wouldlike to do some freelancing and/or help out at photo shoots and similar to gain more experience? in this case, who is best to contact and to get known?!?!?!

I'm a freelancer - a writer, not a stylist, but the basic principles still apply. I've been told that the business is 60% marketing and 40% actually doing the work, and I think that's generally accurate. Go to local events related to your industry (fashion shows, boutique openings, etc.) and network, network, network! Don't be afraid to talk to people you don't know.

Check out this post from Guy Kawasaki's blog on the Art of Schmoozing. Not everything applies to fashion, but the advice is solid:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2007/06/the_art_of_schm.html

Good luck!

That was great jazspin. I believe that single most important (and daunting) thing is making cold calls. You have to call photographers and say things like "i would love to swing by for a meeting" etc. Especially if you don't have a rep. Cold calls are key!

If all that schooze strategy floats your boat, go for it. I think it's a load of b*****ks. It might fly at third division events but you'll quickly be outed as some sort of social climber or arriviste if you hit on experienced first division people with that sort of creepy approach. Just be yourself.

PK

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually read the link? Guy Kawasaki offers some pretty solid business advice. It's more networking that "schmoozing", per se. Anyways, what I meant was that networking is key, and you have to promote yourself somehow. And it IS possible to do that without looking like some kind of social climber/whatever.

I agree that schmoozing is a creepy word, but it's pretty hard to be a successful freelancer (or do anything for that matter) by just showing up and being yourself without talking to people to you don't know.

Of course I read the link. I also have quite a lot of experience of freelancing and my comments are rooted in my experience. I'm not trying to throw up impediments to self-advancement nor to discourage people. I am simply stating a bald truth in, admittedly, a rather bald manner. Kawasaki was actually posting Susan RoAne's advice, extrapolated from her guide to schmoozing, How to Work a Room: Your Essential Guide to Savvy Socializing. I found this book on the floor in someone's lavatory and thumbed through it whilst evacuating a large curry and I have to say that it did not seem to contain anything that cannot be found in Dale Carnegie's timeless, deathless paen to bottom-kissing and buttock-clenching: How To Win Friends And Influence People. Stroke egos by all means but with sincerity and without compromising your pride. You're angling to freelance, not to join the salary slaves! A freelance needs to develop a certain subtle arrogance, an attitude that says I work for myself because I have what it takes to keep on top of my game. I know this comes across as immodest but it is important to inspire confidence and perhaps even a bit of trepidation in potential clients and employers. As a freelance, you are, of course, only as good as what you do tomorrow, when you crawl out of your pit and face the day...

PK

You are definitely correct - sorry if I came across as slightly bitchy (hey, I'm a freelancer too!). I was just trying to be helpful to people looking to join the ranks. I've only thumbed through both books you mentioned and found them pretty obnoxious, but I thought that list was fairly decent and didn't seem to be encouraging people to be something they're not.

Personally, I love freelancing for precisely the reasons you said - it's a meritocracy. You're only as good as your last clip/gig/whatever it is you create.

Non-marketing related randomness - a good resource for current and aspiring freelancers is www.freelanceswitch.com. Some of the articles are useful and sometimes they're even funny.

you can never have your name on TOO many networking websites. Even the small ones can end up being beneficial. If only one person sees you on a website, that might be enough to help you get a job.

Besides free advertising on networking websites you can definitely send promo materials through the mail such as postcards. Some photographers even produce custom items like pens, pencils, calendars, and paperweights with their logo and name on it.

Many of the top photographers (and likely stylists also) easily spend $20,000-$60,000 on advertising in the source books such as Le Book, sending promo materials like postcards, magazine ads in publications like Create, and of course - web advertising.

Everyone has their own recipe that they feel works best for them - you will have to find what works best for you depending upon your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->