Portfolio Hosting Websites for Designers, Artists, Photographers, Stylists, etc.

libertyjaen

Reaction score
I hope this is the appropriate place to query, if not please delete.

"Aspiring Designers" are seemingly really hard to come by on the internet. If you want aspiring photographers, aspiring illustrators, aspiring graphic artists, even writers, theres a plethora of sites that showcase their work... ie Deviantart, Flickr, etc.

It's just a growing DIY thing at the moment, but I am setting up an online magazine about style/art etc, and we are going to be showcasing all kinds of artists work. The problem is, its really easy to find contributors who are photographers etc becasue you can view their work online and they want to be seen... but so far I've been unable to find any kind of community besides forums like this where aspiring fashion designers show off their collections. The point is, we want new, fresh, possibly/probably young people, not established designers, yet they seem to be the only people with websites and photographs up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some designer hub website I'm stupidly missing out on?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the silly questions... mostly ponderings more than questions.

I hope this is the appropriate place to query, if not please delete.

"Aspiring Designers" are seemingly really hard to come by on the internet. If you want aspiring photographers, aspiring illustrators, aspiring graphic artists, even writers, theres a plethora of sites that showcase their work... ie Deviantart, Flickr, etc.

It's just a growing DIY thing at the moment, but I am setting up an online magazine about style/art etc, and we are going to be showcasing all kinds of artists work. The problem is, its really easy to find contributors who are photographers etc becasue you can view their work online and they want to be seen... but so far I've been unable to find any kind of community besides forums like this where aspiring fashion designers show off their collections. The point is, we want new, fresh, possibly/probably young people, not established designers, yet they seem to be the only people with websites and photographs up.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some designer hub website I'm stupidly missing out on?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the silly questions... mostly ponderings more than questions.
libertyjaen
i see what you mean :P
the website strongest at the top of my head would be iqons,
and it's the only one (other than myspace)
it has photographers, illustrators, designers, etc but everyone's connected to fashion

i think it would be wonderful anyway if you made your own, specifically for styling + design ^_^
it sounds like you're more after a blog rather than a community, which is what deviantart, flickr, myspace is more like... everybody has their own 'spot'

Last edited by a moderator:
libertyjaen
i see what you mean :P
the website strongest at the top of my head would be iqons,
and it's the only one (other than myspace)
it has photographers, illustrators, designers, etc but everyone's connected to fashion

i think it would be wonderful anyway if you made your own, specifically for styling + design ^_^
it sounds like you're more after a blog rather than a community, which is what deviantart, flickr, myspace is more like... everybody has their own 'spot'

Thanks gius for replying! I had heard of Iqons but I didn't realise exactly what it was like, thanks a lot for that.

It's disappointing/sad for aspiring designers really that lots don't take advantage of sites like flickr, deviantart or even Iqons (there arent that many young designer members now that I've had a look) because self exposure is so, so important... so many illustrators and photographers get loads of exposure and contacts through the internet cause they've got all their work online and even get things published and have other opportunities stem just from having a portofolio space online.

I guess it is a bit difficult though, because you'd need models/photographers to get decent quality images and all that jazz, so I do understand... plus I suppose lots of really young people are really just -aspiring- and are still students and probably might not even want lots of exposure before they graduate/ or have unfinished collections/designs so really not much to show. Its a bit of a different world to other forms of art...
Just a bit of a shame that we won't have much choice in featuring new young fashion designers in our mag when we really wanted to!

The great thing about those sites is that they are all free
but maybe they're afraid of being stolen? their ideas
although I assume it's the same in every other kind of creative endeavour

You should check myspace
There's quite a lot more there
try typing in Architectural Clothes (we also have a thread on him in the Designers & Collections forum) --that's the one I know, and there are also students from Antwerp Academy there
Also must check blogs!

Anyway don't give up :wink:
Once you get a link to one aspiring designer, there will be a link to another one... always make sure to check their links and friends' lists
They are out there
Just need to search...

And I think students would be perfect. They have to create things all the time for their assignments...
Another thing is that there may be a designer who is already established but are not particularly famous or doing mass-produced clothing (esp one-offs)...I think those are great too

Funny, I find textile designers are even harder to find
especially the non-graphics kind :P
I know a bunch through books but they are famous

That's the reason I haven't put my stuff up on Iqons because from what I know there is no protection for the work, so anything can happen if you don't the money to go out and do it yourself.

Does iqons say everything that is posted on their website becomes the property of Iqons? :o

I didn't realize...
I haven't signed up yet though, nor read the terms & conditions

I was recently told that Facebook owns everything posted on their website
but I hear flickr and blogger is safe
There is also some issue with that, regarding Deviantart, but a lot of people post their work there despite that

I understand the whole worry about people stealing ideas from the internet, but I think possibly fashion designers have less to worry about than other artists? This is probably debateable, but it would be a lot of effort and probably difficult to outright copy a persons designs from one photograph, definitely a lot of effort to go to for another aspiring designer, and I don't think that established ones would actually need or want to copy?

Also, I know a lot of artists on flickr and Deviantart really watch out for each other in terms of copycats, theres a whole little artsy community and if somebody see's anything that looks plaigarised everyone bands together until somethings done about it... Maybe if more designers put their stuff online that would happen too...?
I think that the benefits outweigh the risks of copying.

Ps. Thaks gius for making a new thread!

Portfolio Hosting Sites for Artists, Photographers, Models, Stylists, etc.

DRIPBOOK is a new and growing, international invitation-only art portfolio site. Dripbook's mission is simple - to allow artists to easily publish their work online by taking the hassle, guesswork and expense out of creating a well designed, easily modifiable web presence. Whether you already have a web site or need your first web presence, Dripbook is a fantastic promotional presence within a larger art community.

Dripbook is offering a limited time set of 100 invitations to members of the Fashion Spot to make portfolio accounts on Dripbook. The Access Code below will work to allow new account signups until the 100th use.

Signup here or look for the "Signup" link in the upper right hand corner of Dripbook.
Access Code: Dba_faspot_2897

Take a tour of Dripbook here.

Dripbook is home to painters, designers, photographers, makeup and hair stylists, street artists, illustrators, and more. Within the fashion industry, here are a _few_ of the many artists' portfolios on Dripbook:

Mallyce Miller, Stylist, Los Angeles
Jessica Van Niel, Stylist, Brooklyn
Claudiuscha B, Stylist, London

Brenda de Vries, Photographer, Amsterdam
Alex Covo, Photographer, New York
Monica Antonelli, Photographer, Milan
Jen Chau, Photographer, Los Angeles
Karl Rothenberger, Photographer, New York

Brent Lavett, Hair Styling, New York
Charlotte Taylor, Hair Styling, Los Angeles

Julia Wilson, Makeup, London
Lottie Stannard, Makeup, New York

t1b.jpg

nice! always good to have another platform for fashion-related people! :smile:

I tried the access code but it deosn't work. So I guess it's passed the 100th mark, right?

Hi-

The Access Code works fine. Try cutting and pasting the code: Dba_faspot_2897

I know that a number of accounts have been made from this post, and I double checked the code myself.

Thanks,

Alex

^^^ Thanks so much! It worked this time and I'm registered!

Glad you got an account. A LOT of people from the Fashion Spot have signed up with Dripbook. Very cool work coming from here - lots of talent.

Thanks,

-Alex

Hello

I have a question

Can you change your username later on ? I'm thinking of using my real name for the username... or another... I just need to register soon XD

Portfolio Hosting Sites for Artists, Photographers, Models, Stylists, etc.

This is cool ... they are offering free starter sites for 100 tFS members ... this was our invitiation!

In the interest of fairness and to provide a comprehensive resource, we are combining these threads and invite everyone to add their favorite sites. below.

Here's a list of some of the sites I researched when I was looking to put up my online portfolio a long time ago. Some are places that have directories of all the members so potential clients may search all the members, some have the additional feature of networking between members and some are just a straight forward place to host your own portfolio, where you may send your prospects and clients to see your work, but they won't be able to see anyone else's (including your competition). Some will build a custom site for you and some have templates that you may customize yourself. Some will allow you to make any changes and upload images on your own ... some will not.

So decide on what kind of site will work for you and the features you want and check these out carefully.

Big Black Bag
Folio Link
Folio Snap
Impactfolios
JAlbum
SiteWelder
Web.com

There are also communites like Musecube , Pressbook and Perfect Pose who host portfolios, but they are not my fav's for professional portfolios ... but are great for newbies and hobbyists.

Anyone that's got a portfolio on line ... where do you have it hosted?

:o OH MY GOD!! AWWEESOME!
im an artist, and i design my own fashion illustration deisgns..and yeaa i was lookin 4 an online portfolio..awesome, im gonna use it. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->