French Style!

I think the difference between the french fashion is the girls look for quality and not quantity, avoid the trends most of the time and like piece together their few quality items...

This is an old french ad... i really love the style...

Attachments

• cover-8.jpg
    cover-8.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 97
Secrets of French Style from Harper's Bazaar

This has been requested a couple of times, so here it is

Attachments

• fs1.jpg
    fs1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 675
  • fs3.jpg
    fs3.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 634
  • fs2.jpg
    fs2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 724
  • fs4.jpg
    fs4.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 734
Last edited by a moderator:
Maarit, that's great!! Is that from a couple years ago? I feel like I've seen it before...I was looking for pics of Ines de la Fressange and that's a good one :heart:

merged into pre-existing french style thread to keep things tidy. :flower:

thanks for those fantastic pics, maarit.^_^

I have a feeling noone really saw the scans since this is an old thread :cry:

Excellent scans, maarit. Thank you. :flower:

I'm lucky enough to have a very chic French MIL (and SILs). :heart: They've taught me alot these last seven years.

when I wa sabout 16 my dad bought me a book called 'French Style - How to dress like a Frenchwoman'. Sad though it is, I think that book helped me work out whats important for me - the main theme I think is to expect the unexpected & strive to be different. I always try to adhere to that. Its a great book - I still consult it from time to time.

I wish I had a scanner & I'd scan some of it for you to read - in flagrant breach of copyright!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
helena said:
when I wa sabout 16 my dad bought me a book called 'French Style - How to dress like a Frenchwoman'. Sad though it is, I think that book helped me work out whats important for me - the main theme I think is to expect the unexpected & strive to be different. I always try to adhere to that. Its a great book - I still consult it from time to time.

I wish I had a scanner & I'd scan some of it for you to read - in flagrant breach of copyright!!!!
:buzz: another book i must get... who is the author? :rofl:

oh, love this topic!!!:heart: :heart: :heart:

someone was asking about do everybody in Europe dress well and stylish...I think that fits only for French, but God,not in Finland!this is the fashion&style-destroying country number 1!everybody is fat / dresses awfully...and it's hard to find nice fitting clothes...but then you cross the sea and go to Sweden, and God, people are so much more stylish there!does anyone have opinions about the way people in Scandinavia/Finland dress? I'd love to hear someone else's opinions about it.I'm definetily going to get far away from this country as soon as I'm 18/finished my studies!

could someone post those Harper's Bazaar articles bigger, they're hard to read now :flower:

maarit said:
I have a feeling noone really saw the scans since this is an old thread :cry:
o, i found it!
that is great, and i also love the ines de la fressange picture, i posted her in my more french thread in the star style section:heart:

when i went to paris on a school trip I kept geting people talking to me in frence but they automatically talked in english to my friends. WHen I asked people why this was they said that my clothes and style looked french weather it was a compliment im not sure.

I love French fashion.. :flower: .. My mom is French so when preteens to teens I went to France a lot.. Paris too and I also went there last summer. I love love France and Parisian fashion. But there is no specific country or city that sports the best fashion in my opinion.. it's all about the individual person and their attitude. You will find the good and bad in every city, in my experiences.

It's all in the subtlety, quality, and fit. And yes, the lack of body fat helps. There is no overestimating just how refreshing it is to North American eyes to see the combination of a good hair cut, minimal make-up, and flat shoes on beautiful women who don't stuff their sexuality down your throat. Don't forget too: excellent French lingerie under it all, giving the right sillouhette.

There's something to be said for spending your entire budge on 4-5 great pieces a season, wearing them everywhichway, and truly making them your own. I think we North Americans get so caught up in finding a bargain at Winners and the like that we end up with closets full of ill-fitting crap. I've experimented with the former approach the last couple of years and have found dressing to be far more satisfying and personal. Dressing for self rather than in hopes of getting in the Ins and Outs columns in Vice (or Glamour, depending on your personal tastes). Subtlety doesn't get as much attention from the masses, but those who know will notice...

Fox in the Snow said:
It's all in the subtlety, quality, and fit. And yes, the lack of body fat helps. There is no overestimating just how refreshing it is to North American eyes to see the combination of a good hair cut, minimal make-up, and flat shoes on beautiful women who don't stuff their sexuality down your throat. Don't forget too: excellent French lingerie under it all, giving the right sillouhette.

There's something to be said for spending your entire budge on 4-5 great pieces a season, wearing them everywhichway, and truly making them your own. I think we North Americans get so caught up in finding a bargain at Winners and the like that we end up with closets full of ill-fitting crap. I've experimented with the former approach the last couple of years and have found dressing to be far more satisfying and personal. Dressing for self rather than in hopes of getting in the Ins and Outs columns in Vice (or Glamour, depending on your personal tastes). Subtlety doesn't get as much attention from the masses, but those who know will notice...

:clap: bravo

To me, the essential qualities of French style are:

- it's all about the individual, whatever is worn really expresses the person wearing it

- the garments fit perfectly

- the emphasis is on quality over quantity

- sensuality is a way of life and fashion, like food, architecture, design is an expression of that

- as in my signature, the person is what matters, not the clothing itself

This approach to style suits me perfectly. I hope to be in France in June so perhaps I'll see for myself. It's been ages since I was in Paris.

having french relatives... i can tell you they think alot about what they are going to buy each season... and go for quality rather than quanity/trends

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmanuelgomez
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->