Giles F/W 09.10 London

I wonder if it's a St Martin's teaching programme thing, but the LFW graduates are all fairly traditional in the way they cut and construct clothes - the nipped waist, the shift, the jacket - and they go nuts exaggerating the materials, the colours, prints, the proportions, the surface decoration, the frivolity. McQueen for example, it's always the traditional bustier/corset with balloony skirts festooned with details, which works well with a slightly period Victorian/Edwardian vibe. This is the way NYFW comes across as well. In contrast, the Antwerpen school and the Japanese are more about subverting and experimenting with the pattern-making, the construction, etc. The resulting silhouette is often different and startling.

So for all the craziness in a Giles collection, you get the feeling that it's nothing intrinsic, but plenty of add-ons. It's fairly traditional in the way the clothes are patterned, designed and constructed. The shape and silhouette are familiar, especially in the safer pieces and they are overwrought to the point of ridiculous for the so-called "daring" or "experimental" pieces.

it needs to be said once more..

what is this..

did i see a lamp shade in there?

OMG what the f**k is
that black capsule thing?????????
they all looks like characters from final fantasy
or in meghans outift case world of warcraft

what is this? :unsure:

Yeah, I don't really know what to make of this. I think Giles really is talented and knows how to make chic clothes, but as fun as this collection is there's a lot of clothes no one really wants to wear. Focus and edit, that's my advice.

Whaaaaaat theeeeee heeeeeeell is this? I am seriously speechless. This collection has just crossed the line from fashion to pure lunacy, which is a sort of fashion in its own really.

Firstly the hair and makeup is so heinous I just cant look at the models. *shudders*

Secondly, what in the world is that black container thing?! It looks like a space rocket escape pod, or a giant medicine tablet.....

And wtf is Erin Wasson doing there?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all it's a total messy terrible jumble:sick: but at the glance, it turns out a touch of offbeat speciality which is quite funky and rare, in the end the unique harmony and consistency blowing up
hahah look at his worship of YSL, that black cocoon coat on Laine and the double G logo,:alien: he's mocking and playing prank to Fashion World

It got crazier through the end of the collection :D

what a jumble of hits and misses................more misses though than hits

I like it. Fashion isn't always supposed to be "pretty" and I love the almost anti-fashion quality to this. Also, I think the models hair and makeup is actually intended to come off as "ugly" or disheveled on purpose.

^ I agree.
Some pieces are really nice and others are just boring.

The majorly outrageous pieces are great. I'm bored of this completely literal take on pret-a-porter. It's just playing to those that don't have imagination/can't be bothered.

I like the stiff leather skirts and the last long grey dress is wonderful.
I think the seperates would be really good.
Not my favourite collection but right now I'm welcoming any sort of change to blandness.

Last edited by a moderator:
the interlocking Gs are disgusting... no matter how "funny" they are supposed to be

the boots are all gorgeous in every coulour (i specially like the bourdeux)

the fit of the tops looks terrible

still with all the madness, it's not a bad collection! there's a lot of pieces i find interesting

this looks like fifteen different collections. it's a sheer mess. there is some interesting pieces but nothing outstanding and interesting.

I love Giles but this is too much for me :sick:

Design wise? It's O.K. I would definitely wear some of the pieces there. Presentation wise? EPIC FAIL!! That said I think the collection will look good on garment racks in boutique shops..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->