Girls so, like, rule English

Duleeshab

wiser now
Reaction score
Girls so, like, rule English

By John Harlow and Dan Box
09-01-2006

THE teenage girl is the most powerful influence on the evolution of the English language around the world.
According to new research, the typical 16-year-old girl - armed with a mobile phone and a wide circle of friends - has ensured the success of new phrases such as "muffin top" (a bulge of flesh over low-cut jeans) and "whale tail" (the sight of a g-string above the waistband of a skirt or trousers).
Sali Tagliamonte, Associate Professor of linguistics at the University of Toronto, believes the strongest recent shift has been the spread of Californian "Valley Girl" style, promoted around the globe by television shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The OC.

This style of speech is characterised by inserting drawled words such as "like" and "so" to add emphasis to a sentence, which rises in pitch at the end.
"Valley Girl has gone beyond a fad and is now rooted in different forms of English around the world," Associate Professor Tagliamonte said.
"Girls are the single most powerful force in the English language today." The research was among work discussed at the annual meeting of the American Dialect Society in New Mexico over the weekend.

ADS New Words Committee chair Wayne Glowka said girls used new or fashionable words as status symbols, forcing language's constant evolution.
Barry Spurr, senior lecturer in English at the University of Sydney, said social pressures meant Australian men in particular were more reluctant to display their language abilities.

"They are afraid to be seen expressing thought because they are sexually insecure. They want to be seen to be real men and the standard for real men wouldn't be seen to express a thought," Dr Spurr said.
"The big problem in Australia is getting young men to talk at all. The girls are much more orally adventurous."
The Sunday Times, London, in The Australian

Hmmmn as much as I loved Buffy I don't think it would STILL be a contributing factor to teen girl speak

I agree... besides, valley girl speak has been around way longer than the Buffy Series and the o.c.:rolleyes:

**This article makes me want to make sure I don't use "like" and "so" in any of my typing and talking anymore. I hope I don't do it that much anyway...ick

I once sat through a presentation where this girl said "Like" 37 times (I actually counted), along with a few "Ummmmmms", "sooo", and "and uhhhh".

Uh.

I thought "like" and "so" were filler words...

That's what I use them for.

I remember the 'like' seeping into our daily usage when Friends, the TV series was going strong.

EVERYONE watched it and suddenly everyone was saying 'like' this 'like' that and of course 'Could it BE...blah blah?'

That was when I was in Yr 8 - about 8 yrs ago now....woah....that is like totally scary! ^_^ :P

The movie that introduced me (and every girl I know) to the Valley Girl "dialect" was Clueless. It was such a hit back then, that all the teen magazines published lists of words that were featured in the film, such as baldwin, betty, monet, etc.
* sigh*...the good old days ^_^

Wikipedia article on valspeak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valspeak

Word. I think the movie "Clueless" and the show "Friends" influence most North American girls from my generation (I'm 23), we were all raised in the 90's.

susie_bubble said:
I remember the 'like' seeping into our daily usage when Friends, the TV series was going strong.

EVERYONE watched it and suddenly everyone was saying 'like' this 'like' that and of course 'Could it BE...blah blah?'

That was when I was in Yr 8 - about 8 yrs ago now....woah....that is like totally scary! ^_^ :P

I remember the original Valley Girls, and it's been a lot more than 8 years :wink: I have been noticing adult (as in greying) men using this usage too ... it really is here to stay ... like, for awhile anyway.

Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

i_<3_chanel said:
like is so bad.
but i can't stop saying it . .! :ninja:

Gah tell me about it.
Especially when I'm telling a story....and like like like, was like, and then like...
it makes it even worse that I'm geordie.

muffin top is brilliant, somebody finally came up with a way to call this disgusting fenamenon

I remember clueless!! Whatever!! As if!!

People (inluding me... ::hides::smile: actually used those in everyday language.. not as dramatic as the way they used it in the movie (hand gestures and all), but just casually, it really seeped into our (or at least my) culture as a young girl in middle/high school. And I remember when I was in middle school once, I was talking in front of the class and I couldn't stop saying "Like" and I knew I was saying it too much and I was staring at everyone's face and I knew what they were thinking lol.. but I just couldn't control myself.. it was one of the weirder linguistic moments in my life.

Gah tell me about it.
Especially when I'm telling a story....and like like like, was like, and then like...
it makes it even worse that I'm geordie. __________________

the most annoying use of the word like is when scousers use it to end a question. Know what i mean LIKE ?? Not nice is it LIKE ?? lol so funny irritaiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honorata
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->