Girls Together Outrageously (GTO)

loonaka

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should post this thread here or in the music section, but I think they all had such an amazing style and that's the reason for deciding to post it here, but feel free to move it.

The GTOs were a "groupie group" that consisted of Miss PamelaSunset Strip scene. Their only album, Permanent Damage, was released in 1969.
(Pamela Des Barres, née Miller), Miss Sparky (Linda Sue Parker), Miss Lucy, Miss Christine (Christine Frka), Miss Sandra (Sandra Leano), Miss Mercy (Mercy Fontentot) and Miss Cynderella (Cynthia Wells). The group hailed from the area around Los Angeles in the late 1960s, with most of the girls being denizens of the Miss Pamela and miss Sparky met while attending Cleveland High School. Miss Christine had travelled to LA from San Pedro with Miss Sandra, and both lived in the basement of Frank Zappa's log cabin in the mid 1960s. Miss Christine was the live-in nanny for Zappa's children, Dweezil and Moon Unit, before Miss Pamela took over the position during the late 1960s. Miss Mercy had emigrated from the Haight Ashbury hippie scene to LA due to "boredom", alleging she "couldn't be a hippie forever". Miss Cynderella was an addition to the group brought by Mercy after the nucleus of the group had been formed. This accounts for Cynderella's presence in some, but not all of the GTOs publicity shots.
Originally known as "The Laurel Canyon Ballet Company", they changed their name to The GTOs on the advice of Frank Zappa, their financial supporter and producer. "GTOs" was an acronym for the full band name "Girls Together Outrageously", but at one time the 'O' could stand for a variety of words, such as 'Openly', 'Only' etc. Performances by the group were sparse, although they created a strong impression at their 1968 performance at the Shrine Auditorium. A mix of theatrics, off-key singing and dance were staples of their act. Their only album, Permanent Damage (Straight Records), was produced in 1969 by Frank Zappa and Lowell George (track 7 and 11). The songs are mixed in with conversations had between the members of the group, friends, and others, including Cynthia Plaster CasterRodney Bingenheimer. The album features songwriting contributions from Lowell George, Jeff Beck and Davy Jones. Permanent Damage was re-issued on CD in 1989 by Enigma Retro. and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_GTOs

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/index.php/GTO's

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]nogoodforme.filmstills.org

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]seastwood.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.westaddradio.com[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

i read ms. des barres book about being a groupie and about her time in the GTO's "im with the band". i highly recommend it.

I'm fairly certain that last photo is of French actress Mireille Darc from a film she did in the Sixties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobrams
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->