Giving & Receiving Makeup as a Gift

CarolineRose

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find any similar threads . . . let me know if one already exists.

Do you guys like to get makeup as a present, or do you find that people give you things you don't use? Do you think it's a suitable gift or too personal?

I always give my best friend makeup for her b-day and xmas. This year I gave her MAC e/s Naked Lunch and YSL nail polish no. 142, and she gave me a Chanel Glossimer :lol:

A friend of mine received used make-up from her cousin for her 21st birthday :lol: :lol: so gross

My aunt used to give me makeup, like mascaras and lipgloss and I didn't mind it at all 'cause she's got great taste and knows what kids my age like ^_^

I think it's sometimes hard to give ppl makeup if I don't know them well, and don't know what kind of colors they like and what they use. A friend I had in high school loved the Dior Show mascara and I used to buy her one for Christmas every year^^

A friend of mine received used make-up from her cousin for her 21st birthday :lol: :lol: so gross
My cousin received very old and smelly makeup from our aunt this Christmas...she's really cheap my aunt:innocent::doh: ( not the aunt that used to buy me makeup, she's my cousin's mum:lol:)

I gave a Bobbi Brown mascara to my sister and she didn't complain. Neither did i when i got a Guerlain lipstick from her. It's a nice gesture if someone likes makeups but she can't buy high-end products.

My close friends and I usually give one another makeup as gifts for special occasions (Christmas, birthdays). Last year alone I got 3 palettes (Dior, Shu Uemura, and Laura Mercier) and a couple of MAC products as gifts (it was a good year, makeup-wise :D ). I love giving makeup especially if I know the person's taste rather well.

My best friend's birthday is this month, and I'm debating what to get her. I was considering the UD 24/7 eyeliner set, or an eyeshadow quad from Chanel, Bobbi Brown, YSL, or maybe Dior (she's very brand-conscious but somehow has never heard of BB so I wouldn't mind introducing her to the brand). Can anyone recommend a good quad for a brown-eyed brunette with medium skintone? She usually wears purples, golds, browns, and navies.
Thanks so much :smile:

I only like getting make-up from people who know what I use and get me stuff that suits me. My sister is great at giving me make-up, she knows exactly what I use and what I could possibly like, but it's horrible when I receive some from distant relatives, it's always a glitter eyeshadow or lipstick that's completely off or would belong to a five-year old. And the worst part is that they're the ones it's rude to ask the receipt of, so it's impossible to change what you've received.

My best friend's birthday is this month, and I'm debating what to get her. I was considering the UD 24/7 eyeliner set, or an eyeshadow quad from Chanel, Bobbi Brown, YSL, or maybe Dior (she's very brand-conscious but somehow has never heard of BB so I wouldn't mind introducing her to the brand). Can anyone recommend a good quad for a brown-eyed brunette with medium skintone? She usually wears purples, golds, browns, and navies.
What about this palette from BB?

bobbibrown_sultrypalette001.jpg

bobbibrown_sultrypalette006.jpg

temptalia.com

I personally love the UD 24/7 eyeliner and think its a great gift to get a friend if you know they love eyeliner. However, that said, if I had a friend who was willing to gift me a present from Chanel, YSL, or Dior I would take that over UD! lol ^_^. The YSL Ombres 5 Lumiers eyeshadow quads... 3 Tawny sounds like it might look good with your friends skin complexion and eye color. Although, I am sure some of the other ones would look great too. :smile:

I buy and give makeup as a gift all the time. I work for the corporate arm of a makeup company. If I go to the company store, I can get skin care products marked down from $15-40 for 50 cents and stuff like a $300 cream for $40; makeup for 95%+ off, etc.

I find as long as you know the skin type(I just ask) and color palette palatable (eh, eh?) to the person you are giving it to, you'll be fine. I don't give stuff like concealer or foundation unless I know their exact shade from asking or seeing their makeup and knowing. Stuff like Mascara and eyeliner are more or less no brainers.

imo, lip products are such easy gifts for girls. as long as you know if the girl prefers pink, rose or red, a sheer lipgloss that goes on smooth and non-sticky will make her happy. or maybe also a glossy and sheer lipstick. tends to make ANY girl happy.

its much trickier to buy eye makeup, cause you might not know what they want and what they like. formula, brush, volume, length, colors, simple, natural, smoky, dramatic, etc.

I saw my mom wearing a BRIGHT pink-pink blush and she's naturally olive/tan so I went to the department store asked some questions at the counters and found a decently priced blush far more suited to her skin tone for her birthday. I must say she looks much better, hopefully she'll take my advice about getting a better mascara too, which I think is a kind of a personal journey haha

My best friend and I usually let each other know what kind of makeup we'd like when these occasions come around. We usually end up getting each other MAC eyeshadow palettes from the latest collection. It's worked out well in the past few years.

i love to receive make up =) i actually prefer to receive something unusual because that's the stuff i wouldnt spend my own money on in general.

I'd rather treat someone to a good set of brushes than get them a surprise gift of a product where the shade or consistency might be all wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->