Greatest Contemporary Designer?

Originally posted by pennyfei@Mar 13th, 2004 - 9:59 pm
It's not fair to say who is the greatest. If you judge them by sales results, it will probably be Tom Ford. But talentwise, they are equal! Really!
erhh if one judges by sales, greatest is Jean Paul Gaultier,
if one judges by press coverage, it sure is mr Ford :flower:

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 13th, 2004 - 1:27 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 13th, 2004 - 1:27 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pennyfei@Mar 13th, 2004 - 9:59 pm
It's not fair to say who is the greatest. If you judge them by sales results, it will probably be Tom Ford. But talentwise, they are equal! Really!
erhh if one judges by sales, greatest is Jean Paul Gaultier,
if one judges by press coverage, it sure is mr Ford :flower: [/b][/quote]
I think its depends where you are, gaultier mihgnt sell bigest world wide, but gucci and chanel are teh top sellers in america i belive.

I didn't mean by sales. I just meant overall who you like the best for theur talent, ideas, presentation, u know everything combined.

i was talking internationally space, based on confirmed buyer's info until fw04.05..

Gucci sells much less than you think..
they sell mainly in their own stores or shops in shops
while others - like Gaultier- sell practically everywhere :wink:

and yes i know you didnt mean by sales spike :P

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 13th, 2004 - 6:03 pm
i was talking internationally space, based on confirmed buyer's info until fw04.05..

Gucci sells much less than you think..
they sell mainly in their own stores or shops in shops
while others - like Gaultier- sell practically everywhere :wink:

and yes i know you didnt mean by sales spike :P
Just makin sure B)
Does Gaultier sell more? I know I have seen some of his stuff in stores like Neiman Marcus and Saks, but it's very limited. I guess people would assume Gucci mainly because of accessories. Those are literally in every major department store. That's why I'm wondering how Gaultier would sell more then a brand that has a strong concentration on accessories like Gucci.

Well,Gaultier does have his eyewear and his very popular fragrances..and among others I think he also has a pretty successful jeanswear collection.

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 13th, 2004 - 11:47 pm
Well,Gaultier does have his eyewear and his very popular fragrances..and among others I think he also has a pretty successful jeanswear collection.
I was thinking fragrances too, but then again, everyone's got a fragrance now, so who knows right?

Oh yeah, the perfumes... As far as I know, they sell extremely well?

Gaultier is top selling regarding clothes and that according to the official international lists of the very respectable Journal du Textile (they make their top 30 list at the end of each season, JPG is at Number one for years now)
i was also very surprised to see Gaultier selling most than everyone else.. anyway, i'm off topic :ninja:

Tom Ford because of his ability to impress the fashion crowd and the everyday person.Also his sales record is impressive and these are very important to a contemporary designer since these days fashion is going mainstream

From the ones on the list, I guess McQueen takes the cake, however he wouldn't be my my most favorite (i'd put him in the Honorable mentions section), hence (in no particular order:(

Ann Demeulemeester
Raf Simons
Junya Watanabe
Rei Kawabuko
Johji Yamamoto

Honorable mentions:

Martin Margiela (for what he did originally)
Dries Van Noten
Joorgi Persoons (winner, The Fresh Breath of Air in late 90's award :flower: )
Les Hommes (winner, The Fresh Breath of Air this decade)
Hedi Slimane (for Dior)
Husseyn Chalayan
Vivienne Westwood (cause she still rocks :lol: )

...i don't think there can be such a thing...it's all about your own personal preference...so maybe who do you 'like the best'...anyway, it changes every season, depending on the current collections...even the greatest genius can't get it right every time... :wink:

erhh i think we are mixing up "greatest" with "favourite"

those two words do not neccesarily mean the same thing right?

my reply was on the 'greatest' who does not happen to be my 'favourite'

right-but how does one define-'greatest'... what are the qualifications...what's it based on...i just don't think i can answer...

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 12:47 pm
erhh i think we are mixing up "greatest" with "favourite"

those two words do not neccesarily mean the same thing right?

my reply was on the 'greatest' who does not happen to be my 'favourite'
agreed, that's why I put Rei and Yohji.

softgrey, I agree with you completely.

eg:
i think Miuccia Prada is a great(est) designer , she's directive and non boring and popular and sells a lot .. so i voted her as a 'greatest' but

she's not my fave designer , my fave designer -at the moment>Elbaz/martin Grant/Rucci etc- is not qualified as the 'greatest' , he still has a lot to prove

(erhhmmm i hope i'm making some kind of sense here :ninja: )

I just want to clarify, when I said Greatest Contemporary Designer, I meant, who do you feel has had the most impact in fashion, who's design capability do you admire, who's view of fashion has been a major influence in the world........

I did not mean favorite at all considering that some people may feel that one designer has impacted fashion more, but may not actually like that designer's clothes. So no, to end the confusion, I did mean greatest, not favorite.

Absoutely John Galliano. Sure he has had his slip ups but I mean really, the man is a f*cking genius. The construction alone of his garments are outrageously complex. His haute couture is in my opinion the very finest. His ready to wear is beautiful and amazing (although not true recently). His women's wear is just amazing. Galliano I believe made a point in 90's fashion and even now, I think it will be acknowledged when all the dust settles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->