Greatest Contemporary Designer?

Spike413

barcode
Reaction score
Obviously I can't choose just one because at some point or another I have liked something that these designers contributed to fashion, otherwise I wouldn't have listed them. (I got this idea from Ignitioned 32's poll, props to them)
My top five in no particular order are:

Gianni Versace-I think he was the first designer I ever knew of. The earliest I can think back to knowing about fashion was when I was about 10 and he was killed. I also love his ability to mix so many different elements of fashion, from classicism to rock star style.

Tom Ford-Designer or not, I love his work. He created a lifestyle which, to this day is still popular. The first time I saw a Gucci dress was the white Halston-esque one from 96. As my love of fashion has grown, so has my love of Gucci under Tom's rule.

Alexander McQueen-I love his ability to cut fabrics into pattens others can only dream of. His rebelious spirit and desire to do what he feels no matter what is why I love his work.

John Galliano-The colorful, cultural creativity of his creations is exciting and I love watching his shows. He is part of a select few designers who creates art more then clothing and fashion needs people like that.

Stella McCartney-I love her ability to meld elements of menswear, lingerie and classic sportswear in order to create something totally fresh and modern. Also, her rule of using animal-frriendly materials is very admirable in an industry where fur is always popular.

I voted for McQueen but it's a tough contest there. They are all extremely talented designers, albiet some more skilled than others. Miuccia Prada has redefined lady-like elegance, the boys of Viktor & Rolf are fantastic, JPG is a visionary, Valentino is a master, Ford has defined an entire era in fashion, Karl has injected youth into the collections of Chanel (but Coco will forever reign), Gianni engineered the sex-in-a-garment concept, and Donetella has numerous fans today as she tries to keep that clothing ideal alive - even if Versace fanatics today are mostly socialites that seem to have had a bit too much bleach seep into their brains, Nicolas Ghesquiere designs real fashion - you can see the workmanship by looking at a piece, Dolce & Gabbana are great in their own way, Galliano infuses raw energy into anything he touches and while you never quite know what crazy idea he is going to bring into his next collection - one thing you can count on is a fantastic show! The only one left now is Marc, fashion's darling, doesn't ever seem to put a foot wrong, his homewares line sold out in a single day and he has created more It bags for LV than most other designers could only dream of.
Whoops: I forgot Stella. I like her, she has fab friends and doesn't really care what other people think. She's great.

i''m really fascinated by Zac Posen's designs right now and Miuccia Prada's Miu Miu line...

I be mcqueen at times, and V&R had soem very intersting collections in the begining.

I was stuck between Tom and Donatella, but I went with Tom, because of his endless contributions to fashion...I think he made fashion "cool" for many people who ordinarily wouldn't care about what designer they were wearing. Some might call him trendy, but I just think he knew what people wanted, and when they wanted it...

rtww_ss04-33-full.jpg

Between Alexander and V&R but certainly wouldn't be my first choices.

My personal choices would include:

Martin Margiela
Véronique Branquinho
Bernhard Willhelm(apart from the last two or three seasons)
Susan Cianciolo
Olivier Theyskens
Jurgi Persoons
BLESS(would they count?)
A.F. Vandevorst
Alber Elbaz
Ann Demeulemeester
Ann-Valérie Hash
Sophia Kokosalaki
Hussein Chalayan
Raf Simons
Hedi Slimane

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Mar 12th, 2004 - 10:17 pm
Yohji Yamamoto, no doubt. B)
YES! And again,Kawakubo is still in there,continuing to push boundries.

I forgot Ralph Rucci as well :doh:

I rather like Dolce&Gabbana at the moment, but it depends on the season. I'm rather fickle in that respect... :innocent:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 12th, 2004 - 11:21 pm

Jurgi Persoons
Alber Elbaz
Ann Demeulemeester
Sophia Kokosalaki
Hedi Slimane
Yes, indeed. V&R and McQueen most definetly would'nt be my first choices. Also those in Scott's list are great, too.

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Mar 12th, 2004 - 11:37 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Mar 12th, 2004 - 11:37 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Mar 12th, 2004 - 11:21 pm

Jurgi Persoons
Alber Elbaz
Ann Demeulemeester
Sophia Kokosalaki
Hedi Slimane
Yes, indeed. V&R and McQueen most definetly would'nt be my first choices. Also those in Scott's list are great, too. [/b][/quote]
That's why I left it open instead of just limiting to those I listed. Those designers aren't really my style but if you think they're the greatest, say so! :flower:

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 13th, 2004 - 7:21 am
Alber Elbaz
Martin Margiela
Jurgi Persoons
my list would include those picks from scott's choices.. and i would add Martin Grant, Ralf Rucci and Consuelo Castiliogni (Marni) .
I consider Alber Elbaz as the greatest designer around.

ohh and i voted for Miucia Prada.. on this poll :flower:
reason why?
*because she seems to lead the mood in pap.
*she always makes wearable clothes and uses one of the best stylists for her shows.
*even though design wise her work is nothing special, i like the total look, its something i could certainly feel good wearing, matches my mood.

on the contrary, McQueen who may be more talented as a designer..he is a bit heavy for my taste.. fashion 'philosophers' have a stuffy atmosphere that bores me. i also find a kind of cliche stiffness in is work (including the lastest one)
V&R could also be a choice for me, but i'm not totally 'persuaded' yet.. i like them but i would not feel at ease wearing their clothes.

It's McQueen all the way. He has a sharp mind that grabs on to just about anything and attempts to put it on the runway. He wears his heart on his sleeve, tries whatever he believes in at the moment and keeps at the process, which is what I love the most; you can tell that these collections are ongoing works in progess. His designs and execution has matured from his days before Givenchy and even while he was at the stuffy, boring brand. At the end of the day, the clothes simply speak for themselves. They fit the body in all the right ways and provide a sense of power that simply cannot be ignored. F/W 02's sleepy hollow esque collection and S/S 03's nod to shipwrecks, missionaries, and the infared cameras used to find bodies under the Tower wreckage were just sublime

Datura,that McQueen collection with the wolves and the Tim Burton feel is one of his best.

Lena,I think one of the reasons some might tend lean towards that stiffness or 'heaviness' is that perhaps its a relatable thing for someone who might be a bit timid or introverted. At least,that's how I feel,anyway. Actually,Jurgi is like that,and why I feel I identify better with what he does than most.

And for the record,I say Hedi not because I am the greatest admirer of his work,but for what he has done the last few years since YSL;its been extradordinary.

i agree with you regarding 'stiffness' scott..
for me a great designer is someone that creates interesting clothes i can actually use (wear)
intellectual design for design's shake is not my cup of tea anymore (even though it used to be until quite recently)
erhhmm hence my Prada choice in this poll.

btw i could wear Jurgi anyday, i dont find him stiff at all, he's a natural and it shows in his work.. forced design is very obvious to me now.. i can feel the designer struggling for ideas and this makes me :rolleyes: i mean, relax people, just make nice things people can feel at home with. :P

i used to like -and wear- stiffness myself, but not anymore,
i'm in a changing mood lately.. i want honesty and less pretence.
and i really enjoy questioning my own 'cliches' its a fresh attitude for me
it gives me a 'born -again' feeling :lol: :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 13th, 2004 - 9:43 am
i agree with you regarding 'stiffness' scott..
for me a great designer is someone that creates intersting clothes i can actually use (wear) just intersting design is not my cup of tea anymore (even though it used to be until quite recently)
hence my Prada choice in this poll.

i used to like stiffness myself, but not anymore,
i'm in a changing mood lately..
and i really enjoy questioning my own 'cliches' its a fresh attitude for me
it gives me a feel 'born -again' feeling :lol: :ninja:
That's great!

I honestly wish I could stretch myself like that but somehow I can't :blush:

my.. my use of english seems to be going in a very bad direction, excuses for the abuse of the language :ninja:

*i'm quite very tired :(

i don't know the designers' works well enough to make a decision, i'll just say that i'm in love with hedi's debut all over again, it was truly beautiful (though it's not bad now either)

It's not fair to say who is the greatest. If you judge them by sales results, it will probably be Tom Ford. But talentwise, they are equal! Really!

I doutn think you can say that there is a greatest, especiialy not form this list. My personal opinion is Rei kawakubo, becuas she has advanced fashion insanely, and she is amazing. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->