Gucci Jewelry F/W 07.08 : Drew Barrymore by Inez & Vinoodh

style_expert

Reaction score
06280783bc9.jpg

DREW'S TURN: For the first time, Gucci has tapped a celebrity for one of its ad campaigns. Drew Barrymore will underscore the importance of the luxury brand's fine jewelry line with color images shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin in a Paris studio.

"Drew brought wonderful energy and excitement to this project. She is such a strong and confident woman, but her humor and sensitivity made her completely disarming," said Gucci creative director Frida Giannini, who was directly involved in everything from the makeup to the backdrop setting.

Giannini added that she chose the Dutch photography duo for its ability to portray a classic image with a modern edge after several seasons of still-life ads. The campaign's surroundings re-create a sensual environment as Barrymore lays on a golden beach decked out with lavish jewelry. Fine jewelry is a fast-growing category for Gucci, one that accounted for 4.5 percent of the company's revenues of 2.1 billion euros, or $2.82 billion, last year.

The campaign launches in the September issues of fashion books worldwide.

from wwd

Unflattering pose.

Love the color scheme though.

^^ I don't love the coloring scheme at all... :( Hopefully, it will get better-I love Gucci.

I don't dislike her - but I've never seen Drew as a Gucci girl, so it's a surprise pairing for me, and maybe not a nice surprise. Let's see.

you have to have model features to make that angle work!

I actually kind of like this. And that's saying a lot for a celebrity ad! However, it looks rather Tom Ford, no?

Its interesting... I think drew is gorgeous, there is alot of potential but I think I need to see more to make better judgement?

I like the idea of the shot, but I also really like that it doesn't scream celebrity endorsement either, despite the fact that I never thought in a million years that a celebrity would be doing a Gucci campaign.

it is just ok
i have nothing against Drew but it had to be model

I love, love, love Drew but I'm surprised that they chose her for the campaign. I'm not a fan of that picture but I'm sure there are better ones. :woot:

I actually kind of like this. And that's saying a lot for a celebrity ad! However, it looks rather Tom Ford, no?
It's right out of his repetoire.

Honestly though, does Gucci really need an ad for everything? They're giving Chanel a run for it's money with the amount of pointless campaigns they release. Can't we stick to collection and fragrance like everyone else does?

On the ad though, it's a terrible angle. Why do we need to see up Drew's nose? Nostrils aren't glamourous, nor are they sexy, so really, why I&V?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is awful. the shadows are hitting her face in all the wrong places and you definately notice her and not the jewelry

I just don't get it. And I actually like Drew but I don't see why she's on the cover of fashion magazines or in campaigns. She just does not strike me as that sort of person. At all and I cannot see why designers flock to her. She's a girl next door. Not a Gucci girl. If a designer is going to go for a celebrity they should at least choose one that reflects the brand.

This photograph is unflattering to boot.

It's right out of his repetoire.

Honestly though, does Gucci really need an ad for everything?

I feel the same way. But I do like it though. I hope I&V will do more for Gucci in the future.

Spike413 said:
Honestly though, does Gucci really need an ad for everything? They're giving Chanel a run for it's money with the amount of pointless campaigns they release. Can't we stick to collection and fragrance like everyone else does?

In a perfect world, yes. Nothing can beat Chanel, however; I'm surprised they don't have advertisements promoting their advertisements. :rolleyes:

The angle is like the one in the new Hugo Boss Perfume ad with Julia...very unflattering to put it succintly.

Reviving this thread with a scan...it's not as red as we all assumed, it seems :lol:

Scanned by me from W September

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->