Guo Pei Haute Couture S/S 2018 Paris

I like this! It reminds me of sea life and the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy at the same time. :heart:

I think this is beautiful and it reminds me a lot of her early work which I loved. I like how all the models look like they came out of a fantasy novel or something.

It's very rich, in terms of colour, design, and materials. I like how structural so many of the pieces are, the models look like pieces of living art.

Like fantasy statues given the breath of life.

It's fashion as ART. incredibly creative!

Some of it is very costumey, very little actually looks wearable, actually most looks rather uncomfortable. But holy blessed heavens is it wonderous to behold!

This is what you call FASHION! Just breathtaking.

Debra Shaw opening was the cherry on top of the cake.

It's way too much for me, but there are a few very beautiful pieces here, and this is very clearly a labor of love. So detailed and elaborate and rich! I'm always glad that there are people like this woman who aren't afraid of pushing boundaries and going for the artistic angle of Couture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't like this type of...stuff when it was fashionable, I do not like it now that is so passé.

Yes, many of the shapes remind one of McQueen and Gaultier, but she combines that with her expert knowledge of traditional Chinese imperial court designs (and it would be Eurocentric philistinism to hate on those, frankly) to make beautiful creations. This woman's field of expertise/excellence might be limited to Chinese imperial court designs but at least she's good at something, I'd rather take this over many current young (and not so young) designers and their "less is a bore" brand of minimalism.

^^^ Her brand of design is as representative of Chinese aesthetic is as welcoming as Vegas Liberace showgirl costumes are representative of American style LOOL (I don't see a single design here that is representative of Chinese Imperial court dress influence.)

It is all very McQueen-derivitave— if I’m in a particularly generous mood. But the reality of it is that it all comes across as a 10yo’s wet dream of what fashion is-- courtesy of her Happily Ever After and Monster High collection.

(BTW, if anyone may be interested in a more stylized interpretations of classic Chinese dress, look no further than the jaw-dropping costume-designs of films like The Banquet, The Emperor And The Assassin, Zhang Yimou’s House Of The Flying Daggers and Curse Of The Golden Flower.)

So,so derivative and repetitive! How is this brand making any money? Just because you pile on a ton of hand embroidery on a piece of fabric doesn't make it art. At all! Totally lacking any character. You can't even compare this to McQueen despite the glaring similarities because McQueen's garments, models and shows had so much of character and story. Please make it stop. :judge:

Horrible... She has endless possibilities, yet she decides to make something like this. She is just wasting time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->