Gwyneth Paltrow rubbishes Britain

How annoying! London isnt a dirty city! Ive been to loads of dirtier cities than London!

Curious said:
^ Exactly. I'm of the opinion that these quotes were taken out of context, too. She didn't seem to be complaining about the rain, but just commenting on it. I also think she was being self-deprecating on the cleanliness issue not bashing the city. The customer service thing... well, she could've done without saying that! That happens EVERYwhere :lol:

so true... there's a 2 hour wait at france telecom everyday :wacko: and takes another 2 hours to get anything done in-store. i've also never seen a fast-food place work as slowly as the mcdonalds on rue soufflot...

if she doesnt like it then why is she here:blink: there are such things as planes that can take you to 'sunnier' places!

and im sorry but if you expect a pavement to be clean so you can wear your shoes in the house you gotta be mad! i supose she should be greatful that all the rain washes away some of the dirt!:lol:

and as for customer service she should get some paitence! people are far to busy rushing everywhere its better when you slow down and wait!:flower:

Poor Gwyneth... I love rain.. whenever it rains, the soil smell real sweet and homey.. :blush:
I'd love to borrow her my brolly if she liked.. ^_^

^ Your settings are soo colorful! I feel all happy and 8 years old again... plus wanting gingerbread men!

SiennaInLondon said:
^ Your settings are soo colorful! I feel all happy and 8 years old again... plus wanting gingerbread men!

Oh man, that reminds me of Shiek 2... "Not The Gum Drop Buttons!!":D

Ok, Sorry... back on topic about Gwyneth and how what she said was TOTALLY taken out of context:innocent: ....

this whole topic is ridiculous....
we've all never criticised cities we were born in or have moved to...??...
gwyneth cant be objective and honest about her dislike for shoes in the house and excess rain...??...

she didnt say london streets were dirty....
she said she doesnt like shoes from the street in her home....
and so what if she said london streets were dirty..??....some of them are..!!

i love my home city....and i love the city i live in now....
but i complain about them both from time to time....
it doesnt take anything away from my happiness here...
and it certainly doesnt mean i am ungrateful.....

the press like to make big sensationalist garbage out of NOTHING....>>> gwyneth cant say two honest words about anything without something misinterpreting and taking it as an offense...
why is everyone so willing to be offended...??..
wouldnt it be better off for ALL of us to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume the best...??....try to find the positive...??...

what does it help any of you to be pissed off by miss.paltrow..??....
you make yourselves miserable, buying into this crap....

:innocent:

^I think Londoners get particularly sensitive because as a city it gets a lot of stick for being dreary, having bad food, bad service etc. The Londoners in this forum jumped to its defenses including myself. :blush:
I think it's a cultural sting too.....like it stings when Americans look down on the English. I don't really wanna get all political or anything. Just pointing out that Londoners are very London proud. It's not patriotism....it's cityism. (ok...just made up a word! :lol:)

Johnny said:
OF course she has a point. Think about what she said. It rains, the streets are dirty and customer service isn't always a priority. Hardly controversial, and of course absolutely correct. I moan about the crap weather every day. I'm not from London but I do visit often, and it really is quite manky.

Just becuase she happens not to have been born here doesn't make those rather obvious things not true.
Seriously, the reactions to this are ridiculous. Show me one person who never complains about their surroundings. :wacko:

She should have taken into consideration how lucky she is, there is a lot worst than just the comparsions between American and England.

SiennaInLondon said:
Oh please, Brits complain about these things all the time. Just because she is HEAVEN FORBID not born here, she can't agree with the rest of us? I think that is what's nice about London -everyone is always so ruddy negative all the time!

Agreed. I personally have yet to meet a fellow Brit who hasn't complained about the weather here at least once in their lifetime. I'm a Londoner and I sometimes find myself complaining about the city's rather unpredictable weather but you don't see anyone telling me to move....

Joanna678 said:
How annoying! London isnt a dirty city! Ive been to loads of dirtier cities than London!

sorry dear but London is filthy. in London, on average, you are no more than ten feet away from a rat at any time.:D

I'm fed up of Queen Paltrow....washed up has been who's peak has long been over reached - only real fame comes from being married to Chris Martin, being a piss poor Grace Kelly rip off and doing the odd voxpop in regards to the private lives of Jen and Brad.

Get out of the country if you don't like it, you snot bag.

susie_bubble said:
^I think Londoners get particularly sensitive because as a city it gets a lot of stick for being dreary, having bad food, bad service etc. The Londoners in this forum jumped to its defenses including myself. :blush:
I think it's a cultural sting too.....like it stings when Americans look down on the English. I don't really wanna get all political or anything. Just pointing out that Londoners are very London proud. It's not patriotism....it's cityism. (ok...just made up a word! :lol:)

True...

but in my experience, if you criticise anything about America, the usual repsonse is 'if you don't like it get out of here.'

I don't think us Brits are fiercley patriotic to the point of alarming like some Americans can be...but it does annoy when the likes of Mrs Martin critcise Britain constantly. this is the millionth time she's passed a comment of this kind and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Some of these replies are ridiculous. She stated an opinion...and incase you skipped a part, it states that she 'has grown to like London'. People don't have to love London, or any other city for that matter. The streets of most cities ARE DIRTY. In London, IT RAINS, and constant rain can be a nuisance.

I think if you live in a country that is not yours by birth (or have not been a resident there for ((random guess)) five or ten years) you should be a little more careful about ragging on that country. I think London is very clean (though I did notice that when I blew my nose, black soot came out, haha). I don't know about customer service, but maybe Brits take their time because they know they won't be sued out the butt for being slow :innocent:

I don't think us Brits are fiercley patriotic to the point of alarming like some Americans can be...

Just as another viewpoint from the other side of the ocean, I know some Americans are a bit extravegently loyal to their country because we feel like we're always, always, always getting ragged on by what seems like every country in the world. I mean, I don't read in the news too often where countries are complaining about Australia or Spain.

It just seems like people are always comparing the U.S. to other countries, saying how obese we are, how our government is crap, how our education system is the worst ever....

It gets a bit depressing, is all...:unsure:

i also think people are being hard on her, shes just stating the obvious, weather, unfriendliness...tho thats mainly with the old guard, the new brits are warm and friendly

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->