Gwyneth Paltrow rubbishes Britain

I agree with Johnny on this one though I think nyc is WAY dirtier than London. But my housemates always tramp through the house with their dirty shoes on! And totally got stuck without a brolly in the rain yesterday. Can you believe I've lived in London for 10 months and england for over a year and still don't own one!

^Meg you've been pretty lucky this year tho. Rainfall levels have been on the decrease. Probably why you've got away without a brolly!

she married a brit and lives in north london- so why is she still here?

(And she should take madonna back with her....)

yeah but susie these last couple of days have been nuts. I had to tramp for 15 minutes through the rain last night to get to my yoga class in Battersea! I do think it depends what part of England though you live in as to the rainfall (obviously). When I lived in SE england it didn't rain that often either

Actually, it never rains in the South East really. So I suppose she is a bit of a moaner, although it really doesn't annoy me. She should try living in Greenock though. Probably not likely, and not just because of the increased rainfall. Nice views but the rabid crack mad junkies might stress little apple out a bit.

If she dosen't like it then she should move!

Anyway this year it hasn't rained much or been particuarly cold...

I don´t think she´s rubbishing London, it´s mostly comments on the town and I think she gives an overall good picture of the english life....

Well you can read and think for yourself

Agreed,with Meg & Johnny. I mean,aren't these the attributes that's automatic before one stays in a city? And I hardly expect London is any worse(often suspected it would be a step-up)than NY in terms of being dirty. I can understand the whole rain aspect....like Johnny said,I'm sure most Brits complain about the weather.

Like being in the Low Countries,often my Belgian friends bemoan the rainy and cold weather,and they're used to it. So,in that,I don't see why Gwyneth is being austricised for complaining,simply because she's only a national.

Johnny said:
OF course she has a point. Think about what she said. It rains, the streets are dirty and customer service isn't always a priority. Hardly controversial, and of course absolutely correct. I moan about the crap weather every day. I'm not from London but I do visit often, and it really is quite manky.

Just becuase she happens not to have been born here doesn't make those rather obvious things not true.

I agree with you as well. these things are true. fair enough though, I don't complain to magazine reporters about it. :P but if it makes her feel better to vent about it, then so be it. it is true. like gwyneth I'm an american living in britain, but I have to say it's usually my british friends who open the conversation with "blimey, rotten weather today!" or "can you believe how rude that waitress was?!" :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
But she's also said a lot of fabulous things about England... I think what she said was taken out of context (that article was about how to adjust to a new city, or something... i had the issue...it was a special World issue where they were taking about the differences in other countries... Its not like she was just ranting on London for the hell of it).

My favorite city ever is San Francisco and I miss it everyday... But I'll be the first to say that it's usually dreey as hell (always over cast/fog) and its way too friggin dirty with trash and bums:doh: But I Love it and that certainly doesn't mean I think I'm too good for it, how silly.:blush:

Let's face it. Any larger city is going to have its dirty areas, it's almost inevetable. I suppose her comments don't really bother me... perhaps she said what a lot of people think.. and perhaps it was taken out of context. Yet again, I'm not from London. :smile:

Erin said:
Let's face it. Any larger city is going to have its dirty areas, it's almost inevetable. I suppose her comments don't really bother me... perhaps she said what a lot of people think.. and perhaps it was taken out of context. Yet again, I'm not from London. :smile:

Off topic... But you live in Chicago correct? as do I. Cleanist city ever... I'd lick the sidewalk here it's so flippin clean:P

I live in London, and to me... its as dirty as any other city I've been to.

As for the deal? Ah, she'll learn to deal with it, like we all have.

Her thoughts on customer service? She needs to relax, take a chill pill :cool: :lol:

I'm in America...please don't send her or Madonna back to us. I hope they stay away from India too...too much cultural looting on both their parts already..

It could be worse, when I lived in Paris I was staggared at the amout of dog excrement on the streets. Parisians always have such small wee dogs - how is they always produce such huge amounts of crap? .

But London is pretty filty, but not any less than other large cities.

Plus, the weather is pretty cruddy. The permenant grey hanging over London used to get to me a LOT.
But I don't care anyore - I'm immigrating to Australia in a week. heh heh heh ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :wink:

NOE said:
But she's also said a lot of fabulous things about England... I think what she said was taken out of context (that article was about how to adjust to a new city, or something... i had the issue...it was a special World issue where they were taking about the differences in other countries... Its not like she was just ranting on London for the hell of it).

I read the article before seeing this thread, and I really believe that her remarks about London have totally been taken out of context. I didn't think her comments were mean-spirited, offensive, or inconsiderate. Rather than criticize England, she pokes fun at various cultural differences that she's experienced, and also talks about herself as a foreigner, feeling lonely and perplexed.

This is exactly why I would never want to be a celeb. Everything little thing you say and do is analyzed and ripped apart.

^ Exactly. I'm of the opinion that these quotes were taken out of context, too. She didn't seem to be complaining about the rain, but just commenting on it. I also think she was being self-deprecating on the cleanliness issue not bashing the city. The customer service thing... well, she could've done without saying that! That happens EVERYwhere :lol:

Oh please, Brits complain about these things all the time. Just because she is HEAVEN FORBID not born here, she can't agree with the rest of us? I think that is what's nice about London -everyone is always so ruddy negative all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->