H Potter costume designer magically creates dress very much like a McQueen

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
from the Telegraph

Harry Potter costume designer accused of stealing Alexander McQueen design

Flattery or theft? Harry Potter costume designer Jany Temime's wedding dress design looks identical to iconic Alexander McQueen dress.

BY Belinda White | 26 October 2010
McQueen-Potter-res_1747028a.jpg
Left: Fleur Delacour marries Bill Weasley in a 'phoenix' dress. Right: Alexander McQueen's iconic peacock dress from his autumn/winter 2008 collection. Photo: REX

As promotion heats up in preparation for the November 19th release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One , costume designer Jany Temime has given an interview to the Los Angeles Times talking about the inspiration behind her magical designs. Unfortunately it appears that the only magic that went into the design for Fleur Delacour's wedding dress was the dark art of forgery.
Related articles

The elaborate, layered tulle dress with over-laid lace design which Fleur (played by Clémence Poésy), wears for her marriage to Bill Weasley is - how can we put this delicately - a blatant rip-off of an iconic Alexander McQueen dress from his autumn/winter 2008 collection, a blunder which didn't go unnoticed by hawk-eyed blogger Lela London.
When asked about her design, Temime told the LATimes "For the wedding dress, I wanted it to be a witch wedding dress but not a Halloween dress. The dress is white but it needed to have something fantastic to it. So there is the phoenix [motif], the bird, which is a symbol of love in a way because there is rebirth, love never dies, it is born again."
The birds on McQueen's dress were actually peacocks, and although Temime did manage to change the crest on the bird's heads to make them more 'phoenixy', she neglected to alter any other detail of the birds, including their rather obvious peacock feathers.
The team at Alexander McQueen declined to comment on the accusations but with such a high profile blunder, it's a safe bet Temime is wishing she could make like Potter and 'apparate' herself and the dress.

More Harry Potter from telegraph.co.uk

oh, I didn't know they got married:heart:
and it is a very obvious copy of the McQueen

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen people in Clémence's thread mention that. I have no problem at all with Zara and H&M ripping off designers, but I wouldn't exactly expect that from a costume designer. I find that quite shameless.

Wow, I never made the connection when I saw the wedding pic but indeed, it's a complete rip-off except for a few details and the lenght.

How does someone in her position even DO that?

Why not just use an actual McQueen dress?

Lol. We figured this out in the Clemence Posey thread a few weeks ago.

I wonder if it's just a weird coincidence.

But the saying goes..."Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." :P

The dress is gorgeous....rip off or not.

I saw those pics of the dress in the CP-thread and I thought it was the same dress..I think it's weird that they would copy a dress like that when they prob could have used the real one. Also having a designer dress like that as a costume is a little bit weird IMO

I'm sure no one would have noticed, it's not like millions of people are going to see the film or anything like that :rolleyes:

Thats no obvious at all. Although New Look does rip off some Topshop stuff which I don't mind, this is another story because Alexander McQueen + Harry Potter are very wide scale things.

I'm sure no one would have noticed, it's not like millions of people are going to see the film or anything like that :rolleyes:
Let me correct that. :smile: Millions will be seeing HP but millions of people haven't seen that dress on the runway.

I see no problem really. It's not like she's selling those dresses or is going to profit specifically because she decide to fake a Mcqueen. She wanted Fleur to have a great dress so she created a costume that looked like a Mcqueen dress. It's a costume not a real dress.
I just do not understand why they didn't ask to be lent the real one, i'm sure they would oblige.

Let me correct that. :smile: Millions will be seeing HP but millions of people haven't seen that dress on the runway.

QFT!
I think it's pretty shameless of the costume designer but I have to say I like her version better. But Les_Sucettes is right, she's not going to profit from the dress, it's just a costume so I don't see any harm in it. She just should have given courtesy to McQueen.

I think the article describes the situation more negatively than it actually is. I think it's 'flattery', if anything, but the article describes it more like 'theft' even though it seems like they have no solid evidence. Seeing the two images side by side, it's hard to imagine that Temime didn't use McQueen's design at least as a very close reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting..... the phoenix head and peacock head are IDENTICAL. it is only the lower half of the dresses that look a little different.

There's some articles posted on hp sites that claims it's a customized mcqueen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->