Alexander McQueen: After Lee

^ I agree with Drusilla. Hussein is kinda too minimal in my opinion, for McQueen anyway.

The designer has to be a mix of Azzedine, Galliano, Hussein, Olivier, Ghesquiere, Pugh, Yamamoto, Elbaz.... all mixing up to create a collection that are romantic, innovative, exciting, wearable, unwearable, understandable, unattainable in understanding all at once.

Sorry, there's no designer working right now like that.

I'm already tired of Paris bringing up old houses and turning it into a mess of so called "modernism". Yeah, I'd give a new designer for McQueen a chance, but I'm afraid they'd either just recreate the past or simply stray too far away from the McQueen aesthetic itself.

The designer has to be a mix of Azzedine, Galliano, Hussein, Olivier, Ghesquiere, Pugh, Yamamoto, Elbaz.... all mixing up to create a collection that are romantic, innovative, exciting, wearable, unwearable, understandable, unattainable in understanding all at once.

Sorry, there's no designer working right now like that.

Agreed- I'd add Romeo Gigli to that list, too. Or even if there is, they're not at a stage where they can pick up from where Lee McQueen left off. He did start out somewhere too, after all. Part of the problem of picking a successor is that McQueen's work is just so hard an act to follow. Whoever does it will probably find it tough going.

I'm already tired of Paris bringing up old houses and turning it into a mess of so called "modernism". Yeah, I'd give a new designer for McQueen a chance, but I'm afraid they'd either just recreate the past or simply stray too far away from the McQueen aesthetic itself.

Amen to that! I don't mean this in an offensive way but it's silly to talk about Gareth Pugh or Hussein Chalayan or any of these other designers taking over for McQueen. They all have their own visions (whether you like them or not) and they shouldn't be made to alter them to fit into something that looks "McQueen".
At the end of the day, designers come and go. He was a great one and he will be well respected in fashion history, but I'd rather see him be respected by museums showing his work than by having someone attempt to copy his vision, even if that does mean that he slips into obscurity.

McQ is McQ in the same way Dior was Dior, Valentino was Valentino, Balenciaga was Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent was Yves Saint Laurent and Chanel was Chanel. How TIRING! Although I also want them to close the brand...

By the way, nobody said the new McQ underwear is breathtaking? Nobody cried? How weird... :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly,this suggestion that chalayan should do it is just silly. for one,they were completely different planets. while one was so unabashedly romantic and fantastical and traditionally based the other is intellectual and much more philosophical. secondly,they never got along with each other. i dunno if many of you are old enough to recall but in the last 90's and early 00's there quite a lot of insults being thrown about,unfortunately,mostly from the mouth from the more outspoken mcqueen. so no,that would be like oil mixing with water if you ask me.

I think its really interesting how theres no thread (or that I've found at least) on Margiela after Margiela, yet there's such an uproar about this. It could just be because people were so shocked by McQueen's passing, but I think it really has to do with the way he designed. While Maison Martin Margiela struggled in the past few seasons, I think that their Fall 2010 collection is really great and on track. But I just can't see anyone carrying on McQueen in that way. While I like Margiela more, I think that McQueen's vision is more unique which is why I'm so doubtful about this continuation of the house.

actually we have been having the same discussion in the primary thread.

LONDON — Sarah Burton, the late Alexander McQueen’s trusted colleague, is set to be named creative director of the London-based fashion house, WWD has learned.

wwd.com

This morning industry bible WWD has confirmed what the fashion world already knew - that Sarah Burton is set to be named Creative Director at Alexander McQueen.
As his most trusted and longest-serving colleague Burton, who worked as McQueen's design assistant for 12 years, is known to have been totally in tune with the enfant terrible's exacting standards and distinctive design sensibilities.

Shortly after the designer's death the Gucci Group promised to continue the label, calling Bruton and her team the “building blocks of a brand”. It has taken three months to confirm Burton's succession to the head design role, following McQueen's death back on February 10th. Bruton was responsible for the completion of the designer's final collection at Paris Fashion Week in March. It was a huge success, and a fitting swansong for one of the fashion world's greatest losses
*Graziadaily

I suppose she would be the "next best thing". I think.
Ooh, I dont know what to think. I don't know what to think anymore!!!

Sarah Burton is Creative Director of McQueen

Alexander McQueen's 'right hand' confirmed as the brand's new Creative Director.
By Hilary Alexander, Fashion Director
Published: 12:22PM BST 27 May 2010

P8PQS.jpg

Sarah Burton, Alexander McQueen’s ‘right-hand’, was confirmed a few minutes ago, as the creative director of the brand.

A statement from Alexander McQueen and its ‘parent’ company, Gucci Group, announced that Burton will supervise the creative direction and development of all collections of the brand going forwards.

Burton, 35, who was born in Manchester, began working for the late designer, in 1996, while she was in her final year at Central St. Martins - McQueen’s own alma mater. She was appointed head of women’s wear design in 2000, and was working closely with the designer right up until his untimely death by suicide, in February.

“The creation of modern, beautifully-crafted clothes was at the heart of Lee’s vision. I intend to stay true to his legacy,”Burton said today.

Commenting on the appointment, Mr Jonathan Akeroyd, president and CEO of Alexander McQueen, said: ”We are delighted that Sarah has agreed to take on the role of creative director. Having worked alongside Lee McQueen for more than 14 years, she has a deep understanding of his vision, which will allow the company to stay true to its core values.Sarah is extremely talented and under her creative leadership we are ready to enter a new phase in the brand’s history.”

Robert Polet, president and CEO of Gucci Group, which owns 51% of the McQueen brand, said:”As a business we remain absolutely committed to the Alexander McQueen company which has proven to have strong customerloyalty and has shown to be a resilient brand in the aftermath of the tragic loss of its founder. Sarah has real talent, a close understanding of the brand and the vision necessary to take it forward. We will be giving full support to Sarah and the team in the coming years.”

telegraph.co.uk

According Women's Wear Daily, Sarah Burton, the studio head Alexander McQueen, has been named artistic director of the house's ready-to-wear. The right arm and collaborator Alexander McQueen for 16 years has studied at the prestigious Central Saint Martins, and therefore seemed the most likely to perpetuate the spirit of the brand.

The latest collection of designer for the autumn-winter 2010-2011 was presented in March 2010. Sarah Burton will unveil his first collection as creative director for the upcoming spring-summer 2012 fashion shows in Paris this fall.
vogue.fr

I'm really pleased for Sarah, she was the only rightful person to take the spot of creative director,
all the luck to her! and no doubt sarah and her team will do a great job on the collections

i feel so sorry for her. it's impossible for her to fill the shoes left by lee mcqueen. even if she puts on the most magical show we see, some will still deride her anyway.

Burton For McQueen

Sarah Deeks
27 May 2010
0 Comments

SARAH BURTON, the late Alexander McQueen's right-hand design aide, has been named creative director of the London-based fashion house.

Burton - who grew up in Manchester and graduated from Central Saint Martins in 1997 - worked with McQueen for sixteen years. Having joined the brand in 1996, she has worked as head of womenswear design since 2000 and was credited with completing the designer's autumn/winter 2010-11 collection in time for Paris Fashion Week in March, following his suicide less than a month earlier.

The collection received rave reviews from retailers and the fashion press.

"The creation of modern, beautifully crafted clothes was at the heart of Lee's vision. I intend to stay true to his legacy," commented Burton on the announcement.

Gucci Group affirmed they would continue the company in McQueen's name shortly after his death, stating that the designer had set the "building blocks of the brand" that would allow the business to thrive.

Jonathan Akeroyd, president and ceo of Alexander McQueen said: "We are delighted that Sarah has agreed to take on the role of creative director. Having worked alongside Lee McQueen for more than 14 years, she has a deep understanding of his vision, which will allow the company to stay true to its core values."

Burton's appointment will help strengthen the future of the company, which continues to press forward - with plans to launch a men's underwear collection under license to Italy's Albisetti SpA in June.

"Sarah is extremely talented and under her creative leadership we are ready to enter a new phase in the brand's history," said Akeroyd.

Robert Polet, president and ceo of Gucci Group added: "Sarah has a real talent, a close understanding of the brand, and the vision necessary to take it forward. We will be giving full support to Sarah and the team in the coming years."
vogue.co.uk

Sarah Burton: New Creative Director at McQueen
By CATHY HORYN

Gucci Group has made it official: Sarah Burton will take over design responsibilities at Alexander McQueen. She’s the only person really qualified for the job. She was a student at Central Saint Martins in London when she began working in 1996 in Mr. McQueen’s studio as part of a work-study program. As she told me in March, “We got on very well and he said, ‘Why don’t you just stay?’ I went back to school for a year and I continued working there at the same time. He completely taught me everything.”

Quietly assured and dedicated to the small details, Ms. Burton remained his first assistant until his death this past February. She was also responsible for translating Mr. McQueen’s runway collections into commercial pieces, translations which have become sharper in recent years. She is not a star, but she is very well known in the fashion world and, most important, has worked closely over the years with the pattern makers and other technical people, especially in Italy, who produce the McQueen line. In promoting the best-qualified person for the job, and not going outside the house for a name designer not intimately connected to the McQueen story, Gucci Group and McQueen executives have a very positive statement about the business.
nytimes.com

Even if she was right next to him for 14-16 years it'll still wont be the same... McQueen is dead, the ideas he had for coming collections died along with him. Hopefully Burton will bring her best to carry on McQueens vision.

I know that it will never be the same, but I think Sarah is an excellent choice.

I'm pleased that the ownership of the company (who obviously want it to continue for economic reasons) chose her rather than some big name. This way some of Lee's vision will always be in the designs. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->