Hair Care for Absolute Beginner

mushuselfcare

Reaction score
Good evening!

Hello, I am completely new to this forum! You can call me Mushu. I've recently come out of a phase of bleaching and dying my hair and now I'm trying to grow out all the bleached parts to get my natural hair back. I currently have a long pixie cut that I get trimmed every few months to try and cut off a bit of the bleach at a time and grow in healthy hair.
The problem is, every time I've gone to a salon recently (specifically, I go to JC Penny's salon because they're relatively in my price range and I'm satisfied with the trims), I get asked what my hair routine is. Whenever I say, "Oh, nothing special. I never style it and I wash it every few days with Pantene daily renewal shampoo and conditioner," the person doing my hair gives me a weird look and then sends me home with a plethora of samples to try. I've been wanting to switch off of Pantene for a while now, knowing they aren't cruelty free nor 'clean,' but I've been using their products for several years because a family recommended them for me and I've been putting it off to look for anything new. But, I was tired of the odd looks from my hair dresser, so I decided to hop onto YouTube to see what I've been doing wrong and found out that there is so much more to hair care then just... washing it haha. I actually feel in love with the idea of self care through cleansing, so I really want to up my hair care game. Buuuuut, it's honestly a bit overwhelming because everyone has such different hair types, budgets, environments, etc, so it's hard to figure out where to start, which is why I came here!

My question is, where do I start? Where can I research what products and methods are right for me? I honestly just need a starting ground. I just need some recommendations from people that aren't trying to sell me anything haha.

I have *what I believe is* straight hair, like around 1b. Right now, the only products I'm using is the Pantene brand I mentioned earlier. I actually just bought a rubber scalp massager that I was planing to use along side rosemary oil, but then I realized I don't know where I should even buy that at. But yeah, I have no idea where o start. I don't know if this will help at all, but my mom has kind of 1c-2a hair and is a dark brown. She has psoriasis as well. My dad... well his hair is odd. Before he shaved it he has a red curly afro, around 4a maybe? I'm not sure, I wasn't around to see it. His hair was also blonde as a child. I'm not sure, but his hair changed a lot from childhood-adulthood. My hair is a carmel/honey type color.

Anyways, if you have any advice for me on where to start, that would be great!! Thank you!

This won't be the last time you see me haha, next I want to learn about skin and body care.

Thank you! Have a good day.

Edit: sorry, just wanted to quickly add- I don't even know how to tell if my hair gets dry or oily or whatever else there is, to me it's just hair haha! How do I determine the health of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->