Hair Extensions

^ that sounds intresting, but I think it would be hard to find a place in the US that does it. I've had extentions for about a year not though and have noticed very little damage.

Hmm they do that plastic thing in Japan too. But that was around half a year ago when my friend had hers done...I believe that they are incredibly fast at improving hair extension methods in Japan because it seems like they "upgrade" their methods all the time. I think the first ones were the braid in ones, which are very easy and you can do it at home. Then there was the glue in ones but those are very bad for the hair and it takes forever! Then they had those little tiny tiny plastic blocks that trap the real hair and fake hair together as one. It can be done in bunches instead of single strands so it's faster. They probably have some new methods now but I'll have to ask her =)

i make my clip-in

i buy the toupee clips from hairpiece.com 50cents each (thats the cheapest i could find), and by the hai from the hair shop near my house or on the internet.

i just sew the weft to the clips, and clip them in to my own hair, one day, i can have full volumouse short hair, and the next day long, and the next day curly.... yadayadayada

haircandy.com is a good research site

clip ins rock, that what jessica simpson uses

Chika said:
If you ancy highlights/lowlights you can have hair bonded in that will enhance your colour without the damage that dye does to your real hair.

So they aren't damaging?

SiennaInLondon said:
So they aren't damaging?

That is questionable. I think the glued-in ones are, especially if you have very fine hair. But Ive heard that if the glued-in ones are removed properly and carefully the damage should be minimal if any. The problem is that nowadays anyone who pays a traning fee can be an extensionist. So you have to be VERY careful to find someone with good reputation who wont mess your own hair up.

But if you decide for the shrinkies or dinkies method there should be no damage.

^ what are shrinkies and dinkies?
right now i have extensions on, theyre "bonded" by keratin protein to my own real hair.lol i wonder if its another word for glue in. this is my 2nd time. the first time wheni had it taken out it was fine. sincei have thick hair, i suppose extensions arent suitable for thin hair?

madem0iselle said:
^ what are shrinkies and dinkies?

Shrinkies and dinkies are the most popular extension methods here in Europe. Shrinkies are little plastic rings. A persons own hair is put through them with extension hair and a this ring heated with a heat clamp. The plastic ring shrinks and holds a persons hair together with extension hair. After 2 months it is re-heated so that it can be put forward closer to the scalp (because of the growth of a persons hair). The good thing is that no glue is used and the hair can be re-used for years. Dinkies are based on the same method but they are smaller. But these methods are rarely used in the US (from what Ive heard).

Then there are Microrings which dont use any heat, no glue but they tend to shed if not fitted correctly.

Here are some pictures of the methods:
http://www.drlocks.net/shrinkiesprebond/index.htm
http://microrings.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ (click on photo instructions at the very bottom of the page)

reputable website?

Can anyone recommend a reputable website that sells hair extensions -- hand tied wefts in particular? I would really appreciate it.

Eeek hair extensions are scary unless you are a celeb and can get super good ones...

I just can't imagine them hehe! I suppose if you match them really well they would be okay but I always invision them in a drag-queen style haha :P

ahahaha i see why! yeah ive seen some really poor done extensions, i have them on now, they actually blend in nicely =)

Haha yeah I'm a bit silly hehe! They look great on most celebs! And I'm sure they look great on you too hehe! :smile:

one more question . . .

I'm thinking to do my own extensions via the shrinkies method (since nobody here in the US does them that I could find thus far).

Would this be possible? Has anyone else done them themselves?

mammab- i live in vancouver its like harder for me to find a certified salon with good hair extensions but i did, im sure in teh US there are more options and so on. have you chekced great lengths? they do christina aguilara and a lot of other celebs. their hair quiality is quite nice, and its easy to locate a location in yiour contry to find a certifited salon =) i wouldnt dare doing it nyself cause its a little risky and i mean i dont know, you know =P tell me what youve decided =)

mammab said:
I'm thinking to do my own extensions via the shrinkies method (since nobody here in the US does them that I could find thus far).

Would this be possible? Has anyone else done them themselves?

MammaB, if you check out the forum I gave you the link to, you can find there good tutorials and also if you check the main forum named HAIR EXTENSIONS there, trained experts who visit that site will help you out.

madem0iselle said:
mammab- i live in vancouver its like harder for me to find a certified salon with good hair extensions but i did, im sure in teh US there are more options and so on. have you chekced great lengths? they do christina aguilara and a lot of other celebs. their hair quiality is quite nice, and its easy to locate a location in yiour contry to find a certifited salon =) i wouldnt dare doing it nyself cause its a little risky and i mean i dont know, you know =P tell me what youve decided =)

Thanks mademOiselle -- I frequently visit Vancouver, at least once a month. Can you reccomend who you visited there? Did they do great length hair via the air pressure method? That looks very quick and FAST.

I pretty much like to do everything myself and I just know myself, if I do get it professionally done, I will eventually end up doing it myself. This happened when I first got hair extensions a long time ago, I kept thinking, I can do it myself, and I did. Same thing with acrylic nails -- do those msyelf as well. My only problem I seem to be having right now is finding good quality hair on-line. I'm so paranoid about scam artists and don't want to end up w/crap hair after paying $$.

Morena - thanks for that information. I love that site! I was lurking there and was reading everything and thats how I discovered the shrinkies method. I emailed the owner of the other UK hair site about hair and getting the shrinkies kit. I read someone there was going to do it themselves but I couldn't find where she followed up. I hope he/she emails back soon, I am excited to get them done.

Does anyone know how the shrinkies are removed? Couldn't find that either.

Anyhow, that's for your help you guys! This is a great forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->