Halston Announces New Creative Head

Benn98

Reaction score
ROBERT RODRIGUEZ NAMED CHIEF CREATIVE OFFICER OF HALSTON

written by The Daily Front Row January 23, 2020

robert-rodriguez.jpg

Halston is shaking things up again, this time putting Robert Rodriguez at the helm. The designer is now chief creative officer of the New York label. “I always thought Robert Rodriguez was the perfect choice for leading the Halston brand,” said Andrea Scoli, president of Halston. “Having worked with him for so many years, I truly felt that his aesthetic and vision for Halston would be an asset to us in supporting our future growth.”

The brand has seen numerous owners since it’s founder, Roy Halston Frowick, passed away in 1990. But its most high-profile change of hands came in 2006 when Rachel Zoe, Tamara Mellon, and Harvey Weinstein teamed up with Hilco Consumer Capital to buy the label and relaunch it. Marco Zanini was brought on to design the collection in 2007, but left the brand a year later. In 2009 Sarah Jessica Parker famously became president and chief creative officer of the brand, and seemed dedicated to restoring the name to its former glory. However she too left the brand a couple of years later. This year, Halston entered into a licensing agreement with Groupe JS International to produce and distribute sportswear and dresses under the label.

“I am honored and delighted to be part of Halston,” Rodriguez said in a statement. The Fashion Institute of Technology graduate launched his career at Christian Dior New York in 1990 as an assistant fashion designer. He eventually moved on to the L.A. brand Laundry by Shelli Segal before returning to New York and launching his eponymous label in 2003. “Roy Halston Frowick was the creator of luxury American fashion. It is with great respect and admiration that I continue to lead the legacy and his iconic signature.”

Rodriguez’s first collection for the brand will be unveiled in June.

Fashionweekdaily/Eaglefabrics

They dare forget to mention Marios Schwab! The only time I liked a Halston revival!!!!

Having watched the recent Halston documentary, it seems the owners are trying to restore the brand to its 80s greatness? That the label is so irrelevant now is one of fashion's biggest mysteries. There's just no way explain how this great American brand..... the biggest in its heyday, one of the very first to successfully venture in China, and whose codes can still be traced in so many of today's successful brands, how that brand just can't be saved!?! Fred Perry is more relevant and respected than them.

Halston OG really spiralled out of control when he fast-tracked the development of his label to corporation level, a move that is ironically commonplace today! But the final nail in the coffin was Halston being passed around by owners who had no clue or interest in running it as a fashion brand. Why not just keep it dead and invest in young designers instead? Not even Renzo Rossi would be able to save it.

The Fashion Institute of Technology graduate launched his career at Christian Dior New York in 1990 as an assistant fashion designer. He eventually moved on to the L.A.

Fashionweekdaily/Eaglefabrics

What is Christian Dior New York?

The image of the brand is totally killed with "strategies" like this one:

5a2f67d61600003c00c4f60e.jpg

huffingtonpost.com

:sigh:

I instantly thought of filmmaker Robert Rodriguez… (May have been a better choice.)

This guy is just another dressmaker that blurs into any countless current American brand that sells on Bluefly. If anyone is looking for a Tom Ford for Gucci/Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme/Phoebe Philo for Celiné, he's definitely not the one. Halston, like Claude Montana, had his era.

^^^ You have to wonder, what’s the point?

On a quick glance, Halston’s brand of aesthetic— at the height of his influence, is convincingly ripe with creative and financial potential to revive. But once its given a fair moment of strategic thought, that potential isn’t so rip anymore. His trajectory was quickly replaced by people like Donna Karan and Norma Kamali by the mid-80s; and by the early-90s, Calvin more or less became bigger and more influential with Halston’s brand of clean and minimal American-glamour than Halston ever reached; and by the early-2000s, Tom reinvented Halston’s 70s-decadence in the most luxurious worldbuilding imaginable that it remains the template to this day. So what’s the point of returning with an aesthetic that’s been reinvented for the better by other designers?

I instantly thought of filmmaker Robert Rodriguez… (May have been a better choice.)

This guy is just another dressmaker that blurs into any countless current American brand that sells on Bluefly. If anyone is looking for a Tom Ford for Gucci/Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme/Phoebe Philo for Celiné, he's definitely not the one. Halston, like Claude Montana, had his era.

My jaw dropped as well. Rodriguez is the most dull of dull designers. Name one celebrity that's worn his designs, I'll sit here and wait... until someone comes up with some vague reference like Whitney Port on an episode of The Hills.

Bluefly is such a searingly wicked burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->