Weinstein buys Halston and hires Rachel Zoe

csmboy

Reaction score
WWD

NEW YORK — The Weinstein Co. and Hilco Consumer Capital LLC said Monday they will acquire the Halston brand from Neema Clothing Ltd.

The announcement confirms a page 1 story in WWD Monday.

The new owners plan to rejuvenate the iconic American brand. They are turning to fashion executive Tamara Mellon, the founder and president of Jimmy Choo Ltd., to provide creative direction at Halston and help put in place the brand structure and management.

“Two years ago, when my brother and I started TWC, one key component we were talking to the investors about was finding a name brand to acquire to diversify our company, just like Arnon Milchan did with Regency and Puma,” said Harvey Weinstein in a statement. “As soon as Tamara Mellon brought this deal to me, I knew that Halston would be a perfect fit for TWC.”

interesting news.

Just hope they find the right designer to reestablish the brand.
this has been probably the most troubled brand in american fashion..................

oh god.....

it's cases like this when an old house is better off dead.

mellon? she never was a designer herself, as far as i recall....

uh....
new job for harvey's girlfriend much?...

:lol:...

good lord...
:doh:

softgrey said:
uh....
new job for harvey's girlfriend much?...

:lol:...

good lord...
:doh:

well yeah!!!!!!!!!
seeing to the fact that she is soooo prolific,:lol::lol::innocent:
and is really bored by the one she has already, at Marchesa or whatever that brand is................

So it's a sure thing that Chapman (that's his girlfriend, right?) will design for it? :(:sick::angry:

Am I the only one finding the overtones of Citizen Kane more than a little worrying...

WhiteLinen said:
Halston is dead, let the brand rest in peace.

agree!!! at least, I hope he doesnt do sth like he did with eddie sedgwick...

WhiteLinen said:
Halston is dead, let the brand rest in peace.

So was Dior, so was Balenciaga, so was Gucci, so was Givenchy before they were re-energised......rather a silly comment seeing as these are now some of the most powerful superlabels in the world!?

Why write off brands which were revolutionary in their time purely because it's 'dead'.....Think of the potential whilst still respecting the heritage....Vionnet etc etc....

csmboy said:
So was Dior, so was Balenciaga, so was Gucci, so was Givenchy before they were re-energised......rather a silly comment seeing as these are now some of the most powerful superlabels in the world!?

You haven't considered what 'dead' might mean.

What happend with halston? I hear about it sometimes but never knew much about it.

csmboy said:

Why write off brands which were revolutionary in their time purely because it's 'dead'.....Think of the potential whilst still respecting the heritage....Vionnet etc etc....

I don't like any of the houses you listed, I simply think they have a lot of reputation because of their status and logo, not because they make good clothes. In my ideal world, when a designer retires or dies, his/her fashion house/brand should go with him/her. If we think of a fashion designer as an artist, then why would there be anything to justify that after he/she is gone, someone else uses his/her name to create something? Why isn't Picasso or Van Gogh still working then? Of course we can now get into the discussion about is fashion design an art form, but as I said, this is only how I think. I think of fashion design as an art form, and it is inappropriate to take someone's name and work and pretend you are the creator of it. That's just how I think. I realise it might not be the most business-wise way to think, but that's how I think. You might not think to same way, and I am fine with that.

Besides, the awful crap called Halston of today does no justice to Halston's work IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefashionfetishist
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->