Harvey Weinstein Accused of Sexual Assault *Update* Sentenced to 23 Years Imprisonment

continued...
One morning in early April, Chapman texts me a photograph of a young girl in a very grown-up dress: It’s gray, with a wide skirt made of tulle and a silk corset, all of it covered with pink flowers. “Just found this picture of a dress I made when I was eleven! Things haven’t changed that much!!!”

Chapman was born and raised in Richmond, an affluent suburb on the Thames about eight miles from central London. Her father, Brian Chapman, was the founder of Percol, the first ground-coffee company on the shelves to bear the Fairtrade mark. Her mother, Caroline Wonfor, was a journalist who worked for Reader’s Digest for many years. She has a younger brother, Edward, who is the CEO of Marchesa, and even though their parents divorced when she was in her 20s, they are a very close-knit group. “My father is self-made,” says Chapman. “He came from a council estate, left school at sixteen, and he built his own company with an incredible work ethic. He’s a true entrepreneur, and he’s always been deeply involved with philanthropy, a forward-thinker that way.”

She admits she had a very awkward childhood. She was born with a hip defect, “which meant that I had terrible pigeon toes, so I couldn’t walk to the top of the street without falling over. I was incredibly clumsy, and it set me back at school socially. I was always that kid who was the last to be picked for any sport because I literally couldn’t do it.” She was also severely dyslexic, which went undiagnosed until she was eight. “I remember going to the library and everyone else could read and I couldn’t. I had terrible anxiety. In class when they would go around and everyone had to read . . . it was just torture.”

Some unholy combination of going to the Victoria and Albert Museum costume department at seven, seeing Princess Diana’s wedding on TV that same year, and being deeply envious of her Catholic cousins “going through all of their ceremonies in these beautiful white dresses” planted the seeds for her future. When Chapman was at boarding school—Saint David’s in Ashford, Surrey—she took up drawing and painting. Her roommate there was Andrea Remanda, now a songwriter living in Los Angeles. “Her side of the room looked like a bomb exploded,” Remanda says. “She had a Guns N’ Roses poster, and I was into Prince. When we were in prep—forced homework time after school—she would draw sketches of what we did during the day, and they were amazing. I still have them.”

Remanda spent a lot of time at Chapman’s parents’ house on weekends. “When we were sixteen we went clubbing one night, and she had bought a secondhand man’s blazer from Oxfam for 25 pence. She got out her sewing machine—I don’t even know how she found it in her crazy messy bedroom—and she did a few stitches and put it on, and I just couldn’t believe it! It’s my favorite outfit she’s ever worn. Everyone was like, Where did you get your dress? It looked like a Vivienne Westwood.”

Chapman was scouted by an agent when she was seventeen and modeled for a few years, but as she puts it, “It was very much to make ends meet. I had three jobs: I worked in a bar, I was working in a ski shop on Saturdays—a job I took because I could drink coffee and smoke cigarettes—and I was also waitressing. And I was a terrible waitress. I was so forgetful, I was clumsy, just the worst waitress ever.” Remanda tells me that Chapman did not love modeling. “Being scrutinized as you are in that industry—‘Too short for the catwalk!’ ‘You’ve got to lose weight!’—I don’t think she really wanted to be a part of all that.”

She was interested in acting, though, and when Chapman was eighteen, she took a train to Hull in northern England to check out the drama-studies department at a college there. The train broke down for three hours, and while she waited she got talking to another young, aspiring actor who was heading the same way for the same reason. It turned out to be Oyelowo, who would go on to play Martin Luther King Jr. in Selma. “Well, anyone who has seen Georgina, the first thing that hits you like a ton of bricks is how beautiful she is, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t notice that,” he recalls. “But as we talked, I found her to be an interesting and deeply friendly person. She had none of that frostiness that could be associated with a model.”

Neither one of them wound up going to the drama school in Hull, but they’ve stayed friends. “I was part of a youth theater group at the National Theatre in London,” Oyelowo recalls, “and I invited George along to be part of it. She’s a wonderful actress. I remember clearly thinking that she had a very real career ahead of her had she wanted it.” A couple of years later, Chapman invited Oyelowo to an art exhibition at her college. “A lot of the drawings were of fashion, and her work really stood out,” he says. “I was blown away.” So much so that Oyelowo asked Chapman to make the costumes for The Love of the Nightingale, a play he was performing at the Edinburgh Festival. “And these costumes arrived, made from transparent material into which she’d sewn pieces of mirror to reflect the light. They were extraordinary. They upstaged everything else.”

One Friday afternoon in late March, I head back to Chapman’s town house for another interview over lunch, this one served by her daughter, India, playing waitress. Chapman’s mother, an elegant woman with silver hair in a shag cut, is visiting from London: She comes often these days and spends long stretches, helping out with India and Dash. “She’s such a happy-go-lucky person,” says Chapman, “so she always lifts the mood and the spirits.”

When the one-two punch of all of the allegations against Weinstein landed in early October—first the New York Times investigation, followed by the much more damning piece in The New Yorker a few days later—Chapman was in a kind of stupor. “I lost ten pounds in five days. I couldn’t keep food down.” I ask her how long it took for her to absorb the information. “About two days,” she says. “My head was spinning. And it was difficult because the first article was about a time long before I’d ever met him, so there was a minute where I couldn’t make an informed decision. And then the stories expanded and I realized that this wasn’t an isolated incident. And I knew that I needed to step away and take the kids out of here.”

She fled to Los Angeles with the children, while her partner, Craig, did her best to steady the ship. “Our friendship always comes first, so foremost, I was worried for Georgina,” Craig says. “Secondly, we have so many talented, loyal people who work for us, some who’ve been here for twelve, thirteen years, so my concern was to get to the office and get the collections out, so that people could be paid and pay their rents.”

Chapman eventually went to London to be with her parents, but first she took refuge with an old friend. “I kind of found myself in a first-responder capacity,” says Oyelowo. “My wife and I were right there with her two kids, and this catastrophe was unfolding in real time across the globe, literally your worst nightmare in terms of a marriage, in terms of the future of your kids and your business. And none of this was your own doing and yet you are entirely lumped into it. The thing that was the most difficult to witness was that she quite rightly took the stance of not going out there and defending herself, because there was just too much white noise and too much bile headed in her general direction. She felt, How dare I raise my head and say, ‘Oh, by the way, I’m suffering too?’ ”

Because of the scale of Weinstein’s abuse and manipulations—and the lengths he allegedly went to to cover them up—there is a widely held assumption of complicity on Chapman’s part. “She must have known” is what so many people say at dinner parties. “The thing that pains me,” says her friend the model and singer Karen Elson, “is that when anyone finds out that I know George, that’s the first thing they say. Like she is somehow responsible for his hideous behavior. When I say, ‘Well, actually she didn’t know,’ it becomes this other judgment: ‘How could she not have known?’ Or: ‘Well, that’s on her if she didn’t.’ It’s so complicated.”

It’s complicated, but it is also the oldest story in the book. Even Chapman points out that—putting aside the enormity of her situation—women are betrayed by their husbands every day because they turn out to be not the men their wives thought they were. “I don’t want to be viewed as a victim,” she says, “because I don’t think I am. I am a woman in a **** situation, but it’s not unique.”

Chapman first met Weinstein socially, at a party, and they began dating on and off. “I was living in England, and I had just come out of a relationship, so it was very slow.” Was it a good marriage? “That’s what makes this so incredibly painful: I had what I thought was a very happy marriage. I loved my life.” Asked if she was ever suspicious about his behavior, she says, “Absolutely not. Never.” For one thing, he traveled constantly. “And I’ve never been one of those people who obsesses about where someone is.”

It’s very difficult now for people to imagine that there was ever anything good about Harvey Weinstein. But the fact remains that before all of the horrifying revelations, most people thought Weinstein could be an ******* and a bully, but they didn’t think he was a monster. There is always that beauty-and-the-beast mystery: What does she see in him? When I ask Chapman what the initial attraction was, she says, “Well, he’s a wonderful father to my kids. But initially? He’s charismatic. He’s an incredibly bright, very learned man. And very charitable. He paid for a friend of mine’s mother, who had breast cancer, to go to a top doctor. He was amazing like that. He is amazing like that. That is the tough part of this . . . this black-and-white thing . . . life isn’t like that.” When I tell her that a friend of the couple’s told me that Weinstein gave Chapman confidence, she says, “Yes. Absolutely. He was a wonderful partner to me. He was a friend and a confidant and a supporter. Yes, he’s a big personality. . . . And . . . but . . . I don’t know. I wish I had the answers. But I don’t.”

When I ask the people who have known Chapman the longest what they thought of her marriage, the common thread is how surprised they were by it—but for very different reasons. “I first met him at a polo match,” says Remanda, “and I had no idea who he was. I know George very well, and she’d had, like, two boyfriends before Harvey. So my initial reaction was, Whoa. He’s older, he’s brash, he’s American. Who is he? We sat down and I think we laughed, belly-laughed, falling off our chairs, for two hours. I thought, She’s going to marry this guy.”

Oyelowo also vividly remembers the day he met Harvey. “I was in my car on Mulholland Drive, and I got a call from George. She said, ‘Come to Shutters on the Beach; I want you to meet my new boyfriend.’ George was there, and the very famous producer Harvey Weinstein was there, and I was still waiting for the boyfriend to emerge until it sort of became evident: Oh, this is who she meant! And I will be 100 percent honest with you: I was very skeptical. But as time went on, as they got married, had children, there was no way of denying that this was a genuine couple.’”

Last summer Chapman got to know Huma Abedin, a few months before the news of the allegations about Weinstein broke, during play dates between their sons. Now they are supertight. “We just . . . bonded,” Abedin says and lets out a dark laugh. “In allll kinds of ways. This particular club, ironically, it’s not such a small one: women who have had to endure it in such a public way, women like Georgina and me. People don’t feel sorry for us; you don’t get that empathy. People think you’re beautiful, you’re thin, you’re rich, you’re photographed on the red carpet, and you get stuck in this category. There’s so much more depth beyond all that with Georgina.”

Over the summer, Abedin came to see that depth. “You look at her from the outside, if you don’t know her, and you think, She’s perfect,” says Abedin. “She could be a model for the clothes she designs. But when you go to the house, she opens the door without any makeup on, and she’s stunning, and she’s funny and goofy with her children—who are clearly the most important people in her life. She’s at the stove making chicken fingers and French fries, and she’s one of the realest people I know. There’s nothing entitled about her. You believe she is someone who works really hard at being a good and present mom, and doing her job really well.”

A friend of Chapman’s told me that, because of the divorce, money, the kids, Georgina is in regular contact with Harvey. I ask her, “Is there anything you can say about his state of mind?” “Well,” she replies with a roll of the eyes, “not really. Clearly when I was married to him I didn’t know anything about his state of mind, so I’m probably not the best person to ask.”

Chapman’s close circle is rallying around her and hoping she will have a fresh start. “What I want for Georgina,” says Elson, “and it’s going to take time, and it’s impossible to come out unscathed, but let this be a moment in her life where she realizes that this is what made her. This is what made her a woman.” When I ask Chapman if there’s anything she can say about her finances, now much changed, and her future, she replies, “I’m just living moment to moment. Is it difficult? Of course. But one adjusts. Is it going to be for the worse? Maybe not.”
vogue

continued...
On the day I visited her office, I noticed that Chapman kept checking her phone, like she was waiting for news. Turns out, she was: She had put a bid on a house in upstate New York—a farm—and was hoping to find out if the bid was accepted. “Fingers crossed,” she said. With the sale of all the family homes—in the Hamptons, Connecticut, and the West Village—Chapman is trying to get herself and the children situated. “As soon as this happened, I had this crazy vision: I know what I need to do. I need to move to a farm upstate. My daughter loves riding; my son responds to animals. I need to build a farm.”

Indeed, when the kids came in after school. Dash was carrying an enormous stuffed giraffe, and India was galloping in like a horse. “She’s obsessed,” says Chapman. “And when she’s not with a horse she’s pretending to be a horse. I’ve had to look at my life, and maybe I’m going to create something better for my children out of this.” The farm, she says, is “rambling, it’s magical, it’s private, down a long driveway. And it’s connected to horse trails, so you can just ride off of the property. I promised the kids donkeys and goats.”

Chapman finds out that I live in Woodstock, New York, and brings up Neil Gaiman, who also has a house there. They met when she hired him to write the screenplay for a ten-minute short she directed in 2013; Gaiman had collaborated with Weinstein on Hayao Miyazaki’s Princess Mononoke. “Neil still possesses that magical quality of having a child’s imagination,” she says. “When you see the way that he works and the way that he thinks, it just reminds me of how one thought when one was younger—that sense of endless possibility, just pure . . . untrapped creativity.” The word untrapped hung in the air.

Unlike other friends of Chapman’s, Gaiman did actually worry about her being married to Weinstein. “One reason is that I watched the person he tried to be when he was around her—which was sort of, at least to some degree, uxorious—which was not the person that he tried to be the rest of the time. But I never felt that there was anything going on other than that Georgina was actually in love with him. There’s that point where Harvey stops being a person and becomes a cultural phenomenon, though it is worth reminding people that there are human beings here. And that one of those human beings could be affable and charming if he wished to be and also bullying and deceitful. And he was obviously very good at this.” He pauses for a long while and says, finally, “She’s a good person who married a bad person. Or, if you want to be less judgmental, she’s a good person who married a person who did some terrible things. And who now has to make a go of it on her own. And I know she can. And I’m sure she will.”
vogue

An avalanche of words designed to act a smokescreen for a woman who profited hugely at the time from other women's misfortune, and who now wants to profit from "women sticking together" or whatever the revisionist message is meant to be.

Sure, she didn't lay a hand on anyone, but she was more than happy to reap the money and fame that came to her through someone else forcing others into terrible situations.

But look, she has famous friends! She has lovely houses! She didn't know!

And now she has to "make a go of it on her own". It's almost on a par with the things those other women had to go through, which we won't mention because we're trying to be 'less judgemental'.​

Anna's editor's letter is a bunch of bullsh*t. Yes, we should never blame women for the behavior of men - and I don't think anyone finds Georgina at fault that he sexually harassed actresses and models for years - but having "compassion and understanding" for her? For what? I don't believe for a second that someone can be living with a cheater and an abuser for a long time and not know, or at least suspect, anything. It's all turning a blind eye for financial and social gain.

The only thing I have compassion for is the Marchesa brand and the team of designers, assistants and seamstresses who work there. Surely it can't be a pleasant experience going through all this while fearing for the future of your job.

Interesting story.
Tbh i really believe that she didn't know because some men could be terrible outside of their married life and women could live in a cloudy fake bubble of happiness. We have read stories on how hard he tried to cover those things to come out in the press so i can only imagine how hard he tried to cover it from his family.

I can believe that she didn't really knew about it but i'm still conflicted. To know how he forced his actresses to wear Marchesa makes me uncomfortable.

She is not a Mrs Cosby and she showed humanity and decency so, kudos for that.

This metoo movement was a way to go beyond prejudice. Maybe she can comeback...She is not responsible for her man's actions after all.

"But you cannot hype something from nothing and make it last."

UM YES YOU CAN. Coercion, targeting the status-starved, the stupidly young, the stupidly old, so many ways..

Anna Wintour, much like Katie Grand, will lick a dumpster for their fellow Brits :lol:, their understanding and interpretation of nationalism is so mid 20th century.. she would definitely not have bothered to publish something if this woman happened to be of some other random nationality.

And getting Scarlett to wear that dress? (time will tell in exchange of what..).. well-played.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed an avalanche of words, which only makes her intent way more suspicious! I wasn't buying anything anyway. She's a good wordsmith, will give her that. What really irked me was when she began to summon character witnesses. Now that there, is is some crafty sh!t! And if it didn't pull enough at the heart strings, adding Huma Abedin's name to the mix would be a sure fire way to render Georgina as some martyr. I think at some stage she even compared Georgina to Victoria Beckham.....

Again, nice try Anna. But to me it seems like someone is cashing in a favour and I doubt it's Georgina.

Whether she knew about his behavior or not, she was probably a victim of his as well (through sexual or physical assault)

Indeed an avalanche of words, which only makes her intent way more suspicious! I wasn't buying anything anyway. She's a good wordsmith, will give her that. What really irked me was when she began to summon character witnesses. Now that there, is is some crafty sh!t! And if it didn't pull enough at the heart strings, adding Huma Abedin's name to the mix would be a sure fire way to render Georgina as some martyr. I think at some stage she even compared Georgina to Victoria Beckham.....

Again, nice try Anna. But to me it seems like someone is cashing in a favour and I doubt it's Georgina.

Yeah, I don't trust Anna. The Cut has an interesting opinion piece about Anna's 'opinion.'

I believe the Victoria comparison was from Van Meter, just saying that in pictures she had reminded him of her.

I can believe she didn't know the full extent. But nothing? Complete and utter surprise? I remember reading a quote from another woman whom Weinstein had told that since he was with Georgina, he was a changed man. Changed from what? She had to know and understand something about this.

The thing I loved most in the article was the use of the word 'uxorious.' I've always thought it a nasty little word, and it can stay pinned to Harvey forever as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'm not so sure of is the concept directly pushed in the magazine of a truly nice person married to a truly nasty person. Does that actually happen? Theoretically possible for sure, but ...

This guy was Anna’s counterpart on Vogue’s Business Side

September 22, 1999

Conde Nast Pays Woman Injured by Executive
By ALEX KUCZYNSKI

Ever since he joined Conde Nast Publications as an advertising salesman, Richard D. Beckman has been known as a firebrand in the magazine industry, even earning the nickname Mad Dog. A hard-charging former rock promoter, he rose to the upper ranks of Conde Nast as publisher of GQ and now Vogue, and many regarded him as heir apparent to Steven T. Florio, the chief executive of Conde Nast.

But Mr. Beckman's career has been jolted. On Friday, Conde Nast agreed to pay a Vogue advertising executive who accused Mr. Beckman of shoving her and badly injuring her nose at a meeting in June. Yesterday, Mr. Beckman stood in front of senior Vogue staff members and apologized for his actions.

Conde Nast executives familiar with the agreement said the company would pay $1 million to $5 million to the advertising executive, Carol Matthews, who resigned as Los Angeles advertising manager after the incident and threatened a lawsuit.

In a one-paragraph statement issued yesterday, Conde Nast said:

''The dispute concerning the incident involving Richard Beckman and Carol Matthews has been resolved amicably and the terms of that resolution are confidential by agreement of all parties. Nevertheless, Richard Beckman acknowledges some inappropriate behavior on his part and is seeking counseling to address that issue.''

Mr. Beckman yesterday referred calls seeking comment to the Conde Nast communications office. Ms. Matthews could not be reached for comment. But a Conde Nast executive said Ms. Matthews had asserted in a written statement that her injury required surgery and that Mr. Beckman's actions were part of a pattern of questionable behavior. Maurie Perl, director of communications at Conde Nast, would not discuss the extent of the injury.

Executives there said that S. I. Newhouse Jr., chairman of Conde Nast's parent, Advance Publications, considered asking for Mr. Beckman's resignation. But executives decided against the move, partly because Vogue, while financially healthy, is in a fragile state at the moment. In June, a top Vogue editor, Katherine Betts, resigned to become editor in chief of the rival Harper's Bazaar, which is published by Hearst Magazines. Several Vogue staff members have left to join her.

The resignations were seen as a blow to Vogue's editor in chief, Anna Wintour, whose personal life has been the subject of intense discussion in media circles. She and her husband, David Shaffer, have begun divorce proceedings. Those proceedings were prominently discussed in a profile of Ms. Wintour in New York magazine last week that she characterized to friends as unflattering.
source | nytimes

eta: Anna
Please take your sunglasses off
and step into the light.

The Female Circle Jerk

If you thought that this actress was wearing a certain designer because she loved the dress or because she wanted to make some sort of feminist statement of support, think again!

This was actually a well-calculated publicity swap among three celebrities.

The Designer wanted sympathy instead of scorn and for celebrities to start wearing her clothes again.

The Editor wanted an exclusive with The Designer.

Editor told Designer that she could get a prominent celebrity to wear one of her designs to a much-photographed red-carpet moment if Designer gave her an exclusive.

Several big celebrities turned [Editor] down flat. They didn’t want their names linked to [Designer] AT ALL!

Editor finally recruited Movie Actress by promising her a big feature in the next year.

Actress agreed. Then, Designer gave Editor the exclusive… Actress wore Designer’s dress… Actress praised Designer and Editor… Designer praised Actress and Editor… and Editor praised Actress and Designer.

It was a completely calculated and self-serving publicity stunt for all three of them. Nothing to do with feminism or sisterly support at all. It’s basically all three of them engaging in a female circle jerk.

Crude… but true.
blindgossip.com

I now see the long article Nymphaea posted was actually penned by Van Meter? I thought it was Anna's editor letter.

So based on this blind, what we have here is stagecraft at it's best! I can see Georgina hesitating on who to grant her exclusive. At this stage I should think she deliberately kept her silence to be used as some sort of currency. Vogue never gave Marchesa a cover, to my knowledge, while VF did. That it had to be Vogue is very suspicious. If Georgina's team had any sense they'd have gunned for VF instead. VF has been building up some anti Weinstein features, so an exclusive would've had more impact and readers would be more likely to side with her or at the very least give her the benefit of the doubt. VF is also generally renowned for journalism without bias while Vogue isn't. Maybe her team wanted to go this direction, but got thwarted by Anna as per the above blind.

I belive the blind. This is what Anna always wanted, to have first dibs on every exclusive. She could never manage that under Graydon, and now with her puppet in place, it will be open season.

But what does it say about Scarlett......

Yeah, I don't trust Anna. The Cut has an interesting opinion piece about Anna's 'opinion.'

I believe the Victoria comparison was from Van Meter, just saying that in pictures she had reminded him of her.

I can believe she didn't know the full extent. But nothing? Complete and utter surprise? I remember reading a quote from another woman whom Weinstein had told that since he was with Georgina, he was a changed man. Changed from what? She had to know and understand something about this.

The thing I loved most in the article was the use of the word 'uxorious.' I've always thought it a nasty little word, and it can stay pinned to Harvey forever as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing I'm not so sure of is the concept directly pushed in the magazine of a truly nice person married to a truly nasty person. Does that actually happen? Theoretically possible for sure, but ...

I was planning on posting that Cut article here, which also mentions Anna doing something similar to save face for Calvin Klein...at least she's loyal, I guess...

As for Georgina not knowing anything, there have been cases of people being married to serial killers and knowing nothing about their spouse's double life, the thing is though nobody else knew either....but Harvey''s abuse was known by many people, it was an open secret in Hollywood, so how could Georgina not know? I highly doubt she's as oblivious as she claims, unless she's in some seriously deep denial.
As for celebs being forced to wear her dresses and the success of Marchesa in relation to Harvey''s influence...ugh, maybe this sounds sexist...but you look at him and look at her, I mean maybe she did see past his looks and loved him, but to me this marriage seems more like it was a business arrangement

Scarlett was an easy catch.
She has defended Woody Allen and Roman Polanski.

No one really believes Chapman knew nothing about what a leacherous pig her husband is.

She is not a victim.
She is collateral damage.

^ Agree, she knew, there is zero chance MULTIPLE victims of his didn't called her to let her know over the many years this occured -- and if she ignored them and chose not to pay more attention and read the clues, then she that's because she wanted those $$$blinders$$$ on.

Let's pretend she didn't know for a second, she's still repugnant to me with the way she's playing the victim here "I stayed out of the public eye", "I would fall up the stairs and cry" -- just be private, and silent on the matter. Waiting and then throwing your gown out there on one of the biggest fashion events, with a letter in Vogue to accompany it, is strategic and disgusting, still using opportunities at the cost of your soul.

I feel bad for their kids, two morally bankrupt parents.

This should be Wintour's nail in the coffin, her magazine has been boring and out-of-touch for years.

Scarlett's a dipsh*t too, wrong move on her part, it's bad enough she works with Woody Allen.

Here's The Cut article for those who haven't read it. I think it's one of the bravest opinion pieces in fashion in a long time.

Who Is Anna Wintour Asking Us to Forgive in Her Editor’s Letter?

Anna Wintour is our Fashion Pope, the infallible ruler of Vogue, fashion’s Vatican. Both because of her reputation — which is the stuff of pop-culture legend — and the reality of her power, she’s not someone anyone in the industry dares cross. When she invites you to spend $275,000 on a table at the Met Gala, you say yes. It’s quietly acknowledged that stars invited to the Met Gala do not choose their dresses or their seatmates and that every last detail must be approved by Wintour herself. Her influence is vast. And now, just days after her Catholic-themed dinner party, where Scarlett Johansson wore a dress designed by Harvey Weinstein’s estranged wife, fashion’s highest authority comes out with an editor’s letter and article in Vogue, supporting Georgina Chapman and declaring her innocence. This is not a casual orchestration.

In her June letter, which was published early on vogue.com, she describes her long friendship with Georgina Chapman, who she says was “near mute with shock, trying to process the emotions — anger, guilt, revulsion, fear” in the time after the scandal broke. The firm tone of the letter leaves little room for debate. Chapman, she writes, “is essentially quite old-fashioned,” a “good daughter” who grew up to be a “good wife” — offering her up as a version of feminine virtue and submission that’s curiously retrograde for a modern magazine. Anna claims that Chapman “had no idea about her husband’s behavior,” and asserts that, “blaming her for any of it, as too many have in our gladiatorial digital age, is wrong.”

I do not blame Georgina Chapman. Neither am I convinced there’s any obligation to give her a comeback in Vogue.

Lives and careers were destroyed by Harvey, and tragically, that includes his own family. But that doesn’t mean they deserve more social rehabilitation than his other victims. When Anna Wintour puts Ashley Judd, Rose McGowan, Rosanna Arquette, Mira Sorvino, or one of the dozens of women who came forward to accuse Weinstein on the cover of Vogue — when she uses her power to get Asia Argento a movie role or a beauty contract — then maybe we can applaud her efforts.

Instead, with this letter, Wintour positions herself alongside Chapman: They were two women close to Harvey who both claimed to know nothing of his crimes but benefitted from association with his power. Just look at the pipeline of Weinstein’s starlets that graced the covers of Vogue, some of them wearing Marchesa. By asking us to forgive and forget for Chapman, Wintour asks that we do the same for her.

But when we ignore situations that hurt others because they benefit us, we are complicit. (So Scarlett Johansson, who wore Chapman’s dress to the Met Gala, reminded us in her portrayal of Ivanka Trump.) And this is not the first time Wintour has come out in support of a disgraced designer or endorsed questionable people in the name of fashion — it might not even be the most egregious. Let’s not forget the Galliano goodwill tour she embarked on after the designer’s anti-Semitic rant in a Paris restaurant. Let’s not forget the glowing lifestyle portrait of Assad’s wife on the eve of his butchery of his own people.

In 1995, Anna Wintour went on Charlie Rose for a discussion that was ostensibly to be about the magazine’s September issue. The clip is remarkable for many reasons — the mention of a new designer named Miuccia Prada, for example — but not long into the discussion it becomes clear why the editrix has really come to the show: to answer questions about a recent fashion scandal involving Calvin Klein.

Klein had just released an ad campaign that referenced child p*rn, and the public was not happy. The Justice Department even opened an investigation into whether the campaign violated child p*rn laws (it didn’t, in the end). It was a big enough scandal to merit attention on what was then a very serious television show. If you’ve not seen these ads, Google them and try to find the videos that accompanied the photos. They are deeply unsettling and there can be no mistaking their intention. Watching them in the wake of #MeToo is almost too painful when you think of what the models who endured sexual assault have described.

I recently went back to watch the clip again, when Rose’s own sex scandals emerged. Wintour defends Calvin, saying, “I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.” She explains that fashion is one big provocation, and chides the American Public for being a bunch of prudes. It’s a deft maneuver that Rose barely challenges. Calvin Klein was surely one of Vogue’s biggest advertisers at the time, and she didn’t care that the ad campaign was exploitative or what message it sent. Defending the ads was not a small thing: It was a public statement of her value system.

Fashion makes hypocrites of us all at one point or another. We take money from companies whose politics we don’t always agree with, or we have problematic faves. (I love Galliano, still.) But what is the point of this rehabilitation at this time? It’s very hard to understand. This is not a designer with Galliano-level talent. Chapman’s career was funded and made possible by affiliation with her powerful husband and his equally powerful fashion-editor friend. Now that editor has ensured her return to the very red carpet where so many actresses were pushed to wear her dresses, despite her affiliation with a known bully and abuser. This is how Anna Wintour chooses to use her power.
thecut.com

I have less trouble believing a wife did not know her husband was a serial killer, than believing her. People need to start make a distinction between people that are unware their husbands have a secret live, from wives that are actively benefiting from that same secret life and for convenience refuse to probe and simply look the other way. They are hugely different things, and do not belong in the same bag. I have no respect for American Vogue, i think it’s a bad magazine, but this article is low even for their standards.

It always seem the case that you can get forgiven for a lot in the fashion world, as long as what you're selling stays in favour with the right people.

^^
That's the case in every industry. And i have to tell you that the fashion industry is nothing compared to those big conglomerate, administration or banks.

A lot can be said about the fashion industry but it is actually one of the few where (thanks to media attention), a lot of things are discussed and where people are a bit conscious about things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hasunny428
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->