Harvey Weinstein accused of sexual assault

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by t-rex, Oct 10, 2017.

1. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. And of course some of these incidents happened at his house with his kids there. But if you're traveling and want to have a private meeting, what choice do you really have but to hold it in your hotel suite?

2. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I can't stand Morrissey or The Smiths lol, but I mean.. people are going to have different opinions, especially men.. most experience society from such a dramatically different standpoint apparently that, I've found out, it's so hard for them to even relate to what women are talking about.. I see this among my male friends too, men in their 20s/30s, they do not quite relate to how hurtful or gross or diminishing harassment can be in even random contexts, they don't relate to the feeling that a fight is not even an option and it is another gender that is stronger and historically more violent. This is also a man that hasn't worked in an usual work environment and professional structure, he's spent like 4 decades of his life in a specific scene where women and men would literally lick his shoes for no reason other than a song he sings, and even after saying what he said, they will continue to do it.. anyone that goes to shows or is kind of a fanatic on musicians has seen this.. so nearing 60, he's not going to change his mind and he's speaking from personal experience.

I think journalists are just fishing for controversy when they keep going after people of the same generation for feedback... they know it's not going to be any different or suddenly empowering. They've been conditioned by society and field to pretty much be the same. Why don't they ask someone in his late teens? someone that's still giving a lot of thought on what's acceptable or not? because they'll get something more or less rational and won't have a story..

Moving on, I'm super bummed about Charlie Rose.. of all people..

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Morrissey was well out of order to say what he did, but truth be told I'm more interested what the likes of Harry Styles and Taylor Swift think about this. Not because I care about them, but they have such a vast reach. Oftentimes silence speaks volumes, in this case, not in a good way.

What I am beginning to notice is somewhat of a tide.... people are getting bold to either openly target the victims or whitewash the scenario. Not just Morrissey, Brigitte Nielsen basically called Sylvester Stallone's accuser a liar. The jerk from Gossip Girl also called his accuser a liar, and William H Macy practically said when Harvey wasn't molesting women, he produced good movies! A few more and Hollywood will be ready to welcome Weinstein back! It happened to Polanski and Allen, why would he be any different.

4. fashionista-ta

Let us hope the world has changed since Polanski and Allen, we shall see ...

It's time to be done with generational excuses. Waiting for ignorance to die out simply doesn't work. No one gets a pass, everyone's consciousness needs to be raised. Speak truth to ignorance and privilege, and hold them accountable. Almost 60 is both way too young and way too old to be an idiot. Look at Charlottesville ... those were young people I saw carrying torches. Neither youth nor age guarantees anything.

5. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Well-Known Member

I agree with you that this will very likely happen. With Weinstein and the other sexual predators. Hollywood is just appalling.

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: NYpost.com

7. MulletProof

I thought Brit Marling and Salma's pieces were too good to not be posted here, the best I've read since all of this came out.. especially Brit's.

8. MulletProof

continued..
    source: nytimes.com

9. MulletProof

source: theatlantic.com

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm not that familiar with Brit, only recall a stunning Interview shoot, but she comes across as very level-headed. Still can't rationalise how someone like her, so articulate, witty, educated, ended up in Hollywood. Classic case of 'when bad things happens to good people.' I'm very intrigued by her observations and anecdotes, which strikes more of a chord with me. She's not merely recounting a horrific ordeal here, I think she's painting a picture which expand beyond just her world.

As for Salma Hayek, no comment, don't think my views will align with those of others on here.

11. fashionista-ta

These are both very, very good (along with Lupita's account that stands out in my mind), and I agree, it's really helpful how Brit tied her experience to the larger picture of inequity. I think she makes a strong case (and there are other strong cases, including the preservation of democracy) for why the wealth gap is unacceptable and needs to be fought as a first priority.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Spent half the day reading Gail Collins' kindle copy on the lack of agency women had over finance. The idea seemed too archaic, hard to think it only changed in the 70s??? It may seem trivial to some but this form of legislation ultimately served as some form of catalyst to trap a lot of women into marriages, and possibly started the stigma of single parenting!

13. fashionista-ta

What I think is interesting (disturbing) is that women who remember don't talk about it--at least not to me. So much is kept in the shadows ... which is what's so great about this speaking out.

Harvey Weinstein's name is forever going to be associated with this, and of course he's got some very bad karma going--no telling how that will play out. He can't regain the power he once had. But the irrevocable injustice done to the women whose careers he derailed ... it hardly seems enough. Really makes you understand the appeal of public flogging ...

14. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

In the year when I was born, women couldn't have bank accounts in their own name. Financial autonomy has been a hard-won state of affairs for women.

15. KateTheGreatest

KateTheGreatest Well-Known Member

Here we go ...

people.com

16. sore

sore Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for posting. I read the piece you posted and then read the original piece in the New York Times and I think what People makes of the story doesn't quite do it justice. So here's the original one from the NYT, I hope it's okay to post.

The article also contains said footage of the crash: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opinion/sunday/this-is-why-uma-thurman-is-angry.html

17. sore

sore Well-Known Member

2nd part of the story

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: Graziadaily.co.uk

19. modela

modela Well-Known Member

Lol , calling Georgina inspirational is a stretch . She has benefitted greatly from her husbands power.

20. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

Anna Wintour’s June Editor’s Letter: Georgina Chapman Breaks Her Silence