Hedi Slimane - Designer

Now that Stefano started to put extremely well done and decent collections on to the runway...he's out?! :ninja:

I don't know about Hedi Slimane take on womenswear, we just have to wait and see. But I still don't agree with this decision.

Well, Slimane's work in men's clothing compelled a lot of women to seek it out and wear it, so it's quite obvious that the appeal is already there in his designs. Not to mention his work behind the camera, which suggests an incredible eye for beauty and detail Absolutely, I can't wait to see what he produces for YSL!!!

Best of luck to Stefano, wherever he goes.

im completely in shock! what is going to happen to stefano?! i mean, im happy for hedi because i love his work but.... what?!

In complete shock upon hearing of this news as well!!

Wow, i am torn like many, i love both men, so hopefully they both have great future no matter where they end. But it always felt like there is something against Stefano, he had a rough ride form the gossip mill from the start, i don't think he ever deserved any negativity or this replacement!

I'm speechless, I adore Pilati. I won't believe it until it's officially confirmed.
I also adore Hedi Slimane, but I have never known a YSL without a Pilati.

I will not believe anything until PPR sends out an official statement. This reminds me of when "Ricardo was confirmed at Dior". Pilati is an amazing designer and does not deserve to be replaced at all! I cannot imagine YSL without him. Sales at YSL went up by over 30% and his latest collections have been awesome. There is something wrong here. Maybe he is moving to Dior!

I'm not a huge fan of Hedi but I do think his vision and interest in capturing the 'now' is something the brand still needs. Ford was destroying everything, Pilati reconstructed it again and kept it on a nice track, impeccable work but it was just there if you wanted to see it, you didn't have your eyes peeled for it, now they need to evolve and create buzz again, which Hedi is perfect at because he's certainly all about youth and what's hip and knows how to cut.. perhaps they will eventually find someone that can conjure all these traits, but until then, I find this a necessary move.

Great to see Hedi back and good luck to Stefano.. I have a feeling he'll just go off the radar for a long time though. :(

i remember reading an interview with him some years back where he basically said it wasn't necessary for him to design at the moment, because his vision was still present in the fashion world

the fact that's he's coming back now suggests to me that he must have something new in mind

It seems like anyone @ YSL has a rough time...

I don't think Hedi will have a rough time @ YSL. Tho... I remember reading somewhere that he didnt really have complete freedom when he was working at YSL. But YSL the man himself did a standing ovation at one of his shows so he did have a good relationship with him. Im really happy that Hedi is coming back. Im excited!

I agree, the thread title has now been amended and it will stay in Rumor Has It until it is officially confirmed by YSL, because as of yet it is still a rumor.

Today isn’t the first time we’ve heard a rumor suggesting that designer Hedi Slimane is going to take over the creative director’s chair at Yves Saint Laurent, but for some reason, the industry is now taking the prospect a little more seriously.
On Saturday, Women’s Wear Daily quoted an unnamed source in Paris as saying that Slimane, who was director of men’s design at YSL from 1996 to 2002, is primed to take over as YSL’s creative director when Stefano Pilati‘s contract with the company expires next month. The French fashion label hasn’t decided yet whether it will extend its contract with Pilati, but his tenure at the company has been plagued with consistent rumors that his days there are numbered.
As far as anyone can tell, though, Pilati is doing a good job and has been for years. PPR, the company that owns YSL, Gucci and Alexander McQueen, reported earlier this year that Pilati’s strong handbag and shoe designs helped YSL take a “giant step” in its profitability — and his clothing has been selling well since he took over the job from Tom Ford in 2004. Why the company would want to mess with a winning formula is a mystery to us.
What further complicates things is the fact that Slimane has never really done a women’s collection before. When he left YSL in 2002, he became the design director at Dior Homme and popularized the super skinny aesthetic that has dominated the menswear market ever since. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t do the job — he’s clearly a capable designer — we just think it’s strange that such a big brand would replace a successful women’s designer with an untested men’s suit expert.
But there you have it. People are talking, but we’ll wait on official word before we start buying into the idea.

styleite

This is great news! I can't wait to see what Slimane will do at Yves Saint Laurent. Maybe there's a chance he'll restore the couture line...:shifty::crush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swfrank123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->