Hello Sailor !!!

kit

Reaction score
Trendspotting

Fashion turns to naval gazing

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Amelia Hodsdon
Wednesday March 9, 2005
The Guardian

[/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]In the wake of the international fashion weeks, the competing waves of hippy chic and metallic glamour may have left you all at sea: follow the fashion writers' advice and go nautical.

"Fresh as a sea breeze, jaunty as an early spring day and, as one of the most thoroughly tried-and-tested looks in the fashion vocabulary, utterly reliable, the nautical style is back this season," declared Susie Rushton in the Independent on Sunday. "In sharp contrast to all the powder-pink frills and hippy-trail exoticism that dominate this spring/summer, a sprinkling of designers" - Helmut Lang, Jil Sander and Alexander McQueen - "have re-invented the seafaring style."

Next door in Rushton's sister paper, the Independent, Susannah Frankel was also tipping "nautical but nice. It was introduced by Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel, and it's been a summer stalwart ever since. With a less literal interpretation, it's now one of the season's finest styles."

In the Times, Lisa Armstrong also thought it one of "the most salient trends this season". She did, however, warn readers not to go overboard: "I've expressed views on horizontal stripes and people who wear plimsolls everywhere before. Where this trend is concerned, a light hand is all." Her colleague Clare Lazaro had no such qualms: "Team fitted feminine jackets with frills and ruffles, and finish off with cruise-style wedge sandals."

"If all this froth is making you a little light-headed," advised David Hayes in the London Evening Standard, "add some mannish baggy trousers (rolled up at the ankle for full effect) ... Try Zara for great nautical tailoring." The Daily Express reckoned Miss Selfridge was the answer: "From sailor stripes to braided blazers, make this high street store your first port of call." Jo Adams, in the Observer, gave us the final lowdown on looking shipshape. "Team blue-and-white stripes with wide-leg sailor-style trousers, cropped rolled-up three-quarter-length trousers, and jackets and shirts. For just a flavour of the look, seek out details like braiding and naval-style buttons." Aye aye, cap'n.

Will it be BIG for the summer ? :blink:
[/font]

I hope so Kit because I adore nautical style - i'd even go so far as to say I love plimsoles & striped tops. I am on a search for some cool striped tops actually. I love the images of coco chanel in Deauville with her wide pants, striped breton top & strings of pearls - how cool was she?

ot: do you like Lisa Armstrong/Jess Carter Morely? I so can't be bothered with their London girl chat. I did used to like them but recently I am just so bored by whay they say....

helena said:
I hope so Kit because I adore nautical style - i'd even go so far as to say I love plimsoles & striped tops. I am on a search for some cool striped tops actually. I love the images of coco chanel in Deauville with her wide pants, striped breton top & strings of pearls - how cool was she?

ot: do you like Lisa Armstrong/Jess Carter Morely? I so can't be bothered with their London girl chat. I did used to like them but recently I am just so bored by whay they say....

I just find them good for info .B)

I know that in Galeries Lafayette in Perpignan , there was a very good line on sale of Breton classics a la Gaultier .

It's name was ' Cote d'Armor ' , I think . The label certainly contained the word ' Armor ' . ( The Brittany Coast ) .

Worth looking at next time you're in ' La Belle France ' .:heart:

kit said:
I just find them good for info .B)

I know that in Galeries Lafayette in Perpignan , there was a very good line on sale of Breton classics a la Gaultier .

It's name was ' Cote d'Armor ' , I think . The label certainly contained the word ' Armor ' . ( The Brittany Coast ) .

Worth looking at next time you're in ' La Belle France ' .:heart:

thats funny Kit because when we were in Paris last week my husband had to buy a thermal vest (sexeee) in Bon Marche - and it was that label you mentioned. coincidence egh? I would love a proper breton top actually - they are made of cool thick material. I would love to visit Brittany - it looked amazing in that last film audrey Tatou was in (can't remember its name) about the first world war.... so stunning. Very like scotland!

helena said:
thats funny Kit because when we were in Paris last week my husband had to buy a thermal vest (sexeee) in Bon Marche - and it was that label you mentioned. coincidence egh? I would love a proper breton top actually - they are made of cool thick material. I would love to visit Brittany - it looked amazing in that last film audrey Tatou was in (can't remember its name) about the first world war.... so stunning. Very like scotland!

AND Cornwall !!!

You celts are EVERYWHERE !!! :lol:

PS

You used to be able to buy Breton tops from the small mail order firms who advertise in ' The Observer ' , ' The Sunday Times ' etc , and who sell ethnic clothing - eg fishermen's Jersey / Guernsay sweaters , Sheffield steelworkers' shirts etc . They were even in different colourways apart from navy blue/white .

You just have to buy them at least a size too big as the SHRINK in the wash . :angry:

Personal experience !!! :cry:

ot: do you like Lisa Armstrong/Jess Carter Morely? I so can't be bothered with their London girl chat. I did used to like them but recently I am just so bored by whay they say....[/QUOTE]

I've found just that. Jess MC has taken to chatting about the bloody obvious. I mean, a couple of weeks back she wrote up an entire column about how she has only just worked out that by cutting a pair of jeans short she can carry on with the boots over trouser thing (yawn) None of their journalism is very forward thinking. But thats just my opinion.
H
as anyone seen the Gaultier nautical style stuff he has done for Le Redoute? Really :heart: :heart:

May I ask:

What is a plimsole?

OT, is this your movie helena?

Attachments

• 985876.jpg
    985876.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
yes thats the one purechris - its a goood enough film - like amelie 2.

fashionpuss - I didn't read that article but I have read many like it! yawn.

I saw a pair of lovely nautical ballet pumps in a magazine recently - I think they were by Cath Kidson.....

some of gaultier's very nautically themed stuff from la redoute...

1640_58001_dt.jpg

1637_58181_dt.jpg
1623_58158_dt.jpg

it's all really cute...love the nautical thing...but it's not for me. :wink:

^^ I love Gemma in the LaRedoute ads! :heart: I was going to buy something from that range, but wasnt sure if the quality was any good.

I love the nautical look..my friend bought me a stripey top last year which fits in nicely with this trend, I know she'll be pelased to see me wearing it ^_^

I like the nautical-ness of spring/summer 05. I think that incorporating one nautical piece with your look is ok but don't go "overboard" and look like a 21st century sailor. :smile:

ooo nautical...i like :smile: however something in my brain makes me automatically link nautical fashion with joan collins :blink: i think it's the whole st.tropez thing :doh:

My Jean Paul Gaultier matalot top (original from the days of old I hasten to add) rides again...

Emery said:
Tennis shoe (or sneaker, until the latter proliferated in styles!)

Thanks for the answer and thanks Brian for asking. I learn something new quite frequently on TFS. :D

i have always love anything nautical. i have a place in my heart for anything to do with the ocean

I love nautical so much. I've always been a fan. I love this trend. :heart:

Gaultier did the ambiguously gay sailor look to perfection, and I adore my peacoat. Balenciaga did the naval look beautifully this spring......

I think it can look incredibly chic if it's done subtley, naval clothing is so tailored and crisp it's sure to look good when mixed with other pieces.

i adore nautical style, one of my fave looks for spring - totally agree with what spike said about Gaultier and of course Balenciaga this spring was devinely nautical :wub:

i have very little to add since everyone covered pretty much everything here...
except that the pair of shoes from ysl that i have been going on about are exactly perfect for this look...still can't find a pic...:angry:

espadrilles (another spring trend)...also fit right into this...:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->