History of John Galliano

Galliano Reborn (wwd)

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2007
By Miles Socha

Here are the typical ingredients needed to make a modern-day fashion show: a pitch-black tent, a celebrity crush, pounding music, an often joyless parade of clothes on robotic, almost catatonic models, finished off with applause.

Thankfully, things are a tad more complicated—and a heck of a lot more fun—at John Galliano. And after a few ho-hum seasons (at least by his haute standards), the acclaimed British designer came roaring back with bursts of creativity and fashion fireworks that brought juicy color, high glamour, maximum modeling—and even a few French hens—to the Paris runway.

Not only were his rtw collections for Dior and his own label among the high points of a strong Paris season, they came on the heels of a soaring Madame Butterfly–inspired couture collection for Dior, a pulse-pounding warrior-themed men’s wear show and gosh-knows-how-many pre-collections, not to mention his new second line, Galliano—all in the space of five weeks. Was fashion’s favorite madcap showman particularly inspired this season?

“Yeah, I was really depressed and down this time,” Galliano says, bursting into laughter at the question. “I’m working with really creative people. We were all quite turbo-charged.”

Two events conspired to rev up the designer’s acclaimed imagination to full-throttle: a “wonderful” three-week inspirational trip through Japan and the 60th anniversary of Dior this year, which the house plans to mark with a large-scale event during the July couture.

“Let’s call it a warm-up,” the designer says with characteristic understatement of his fall Dior collection that paid homage to the house’s famous slim-waisted, fan-skirted New Look, while also channeling couture’s lush color and Japanese finery.

Passing through Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo last November, Galliano visited traditional teahouses and museums, and soaked up the expressive and colorful street style, rich in cyber and ninja references. “It really made me want to work with color again to try and express that emotion I felt when I first arrived there,” he says, dressed in a loose army suit topped with an askew beret. “The trip really awoke my senses.” The designer’s experience there even prompted him to change his florist and chef.

Emotion, an ever-rarer commodity on fashion runways, is something Galliano’s fashion spectacles often evoke. He achieved that this season partly by snapping the models out of their trancelike march, making them pause and pose, encouraging them to express themselves on the catwalk. Some of the younger members of Galliano’s team had never seen such a thing: “A girl who actually knows where the pocket was in the coat, you know what I mean?” he relates. “And just the whole enjoyment of it. So you may think of it as old-school modeling, but it seemed very light and contemporary to do that.”

Along the way, he diffused the celebrity hoopla by reminding his audience of the transporting power of fashion itself. “The clothes were really the stars,” Galliano says. “I gave them the scripts and off they went!”

This is totally off topic, but I saw this John Galliano jacket in our store. I thought it was weird because we dont carry his stuff normally. I scanned it and it was $1200.

It was also the week we had a double discount...so I would have been able to get it for like half the price.

I put it back, and the next day it was gone. Im kicking myself now for not getting it. It was so beautiful.:unsure:

^
The work of John Galliano is a fantasy world
full of the most luxury and exquisite elements of the world
I know that he inovates the fabrics and the cuts, maquing
uniques pieces
and his shows are full of new fabrics and cuts
and all that exquisite embroidereds made by legendary Paris houses (like lesage)...

US Harper's Bazaar
January 1995
Genius Galliano by Sarah Mower
Photographed by Patrick Demarchlier

scanned by MMA

I think he's the true father of reinvention... the couture version of Madonna sort u know... and he had inspired thousands of young designers to discover their creativity in-depth. I like that!

Quote from the Catwalk Videos thread
JR1 said:
That would be great :woot:

Of topic, but after watching the Dior SS 04 show...I dont feel good :(
I cant explain it, I mean, I love the new Dior and everything, but I just dont think it will be the same again...
I think Galliano never will lose his shine!!!
It is wonderful that he can explore all his fantasies
and of course, maybe it doesn like everyone!
but after all he never lost his energy, his spirit and his inner beauty sense!

I like him, I will always love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hes got a big stylish spirit
and every collection is a whole world!

I am sure
he is the most exquisite man in the world!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im afraid of him, i mean his collections are jaw dropping and so creative and unique and blah blah, but the man is SCARY! i wouldnt know how to act if he was next to me.

^^
Actually, from what I've read and seen, Galliano at his shows and Galliano the person are really quite different. He may seem like a kook on the runway, but, like, in La Saga John Galliano, he seems very level headed, interesting, engaging and, well...normal!:lol:

He's my favourite designer, next to Lagerfeld and Ghesquiere :heart:

I think Galliano is stuffing his underwear, cause the first thing I notice is that large bulge that resembles a sock...just saying...
It does look...sock-ish. Huh.

Interview at Telva Awards (Madrid, 24th oct)

galianoae7.jpg

http://rapidshare.com/files/65332165/galiano_telva.avi

[hola.com]

He scares me more than a little but I do love his creativity. I remember watching a Haute Couture programme on BBC1 and he was featured on it (as well as Lagerfeld -- they actually showed him while he was sketching out a design, and 'twas amazing). Very inspirational.

Reviving this thread !! :magic:

Please feel free to post any of the works by John Galliano pre-2004
(s/s 2004 collection is the earliest collection by Galliano I've found posted @ tFS.)

to start...
John Galliano for Dior
(working there since '97)

@ Vogue Paris October 2007
L'âge Dior

scanned by Diorette

Thanks gius!

I posted this in the Dior anniversary thread as well, but everyone should go to Dior.com and watch the three vids on the history of the house (that is Monsieur Dior and John Galliano, the other designers apparantly never happened :P ) There is some amazing footage of Dior couture collections from Galliano's early days.

Thanks for the info! ^
Would anyone happen to have the links to these videos?

^ ErichB posted them in the catwalk vids thread.

I wish Firstview never switched formats and still had all of his old collections up. I miss them...

Corbis.com has a pretty good selection of photos from his earlier Dior collections, especially the ones from 97/98. You can pretty much just type in Dior and the year and browse through.

I wish Firstview never switched formats and still had all of his old collections up. I miss them...
what was the old format?

...and thanks for the corbis tip off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->