Hogeschool Antwerpen Show 2008

^still much better than most of the other school collections,if you ask me.

now some of these images though are from third year students so they have to work around a specific design theme. final year students really is where you should find the students exploring their own ideas.

Oh yes, most certainly! In fact, I'd say it is the best fashion school in the world by a long stretch.

I accidentally clicked on an old thread you posted, the 2007 collection, and there were really fantastic creations inside, eg. a new twist on the HC "pages" that is like origami. You can see a lot of these ideas "filtering" down to the big name designers like Galliano and McQueen...^_^ who will make them wearable.

I haven't looked at everything yet, but the pieces in the previous post #20 (with Miyake-like pleats and some gorgeous jacket constructions) are very exciting, far better than any HC collections I've seen. Perhaps when the entire collection is up, it will look as great as past years.:P

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is so good, I just love what the kids at de Hogeschool Antwerpen do. I was at the graduation show of the Willem de Kooning Academie in Rotterdam this week and what I saw there pretty much sucked compared to this :lol: Even though they collaborated with the Donghua University in Shanghai this year. Thanks for opening a thread!

i do agree with you though,zazie about the level kind of going down a bit. i saw that a bit in last year's shows too. the dynamics aren't quite as on par as they were two or three years ago...and before,of course. i think after linda loppa left in 06 it may have taken some of that kind of psychology-like(i mean it was synonymous for teaching one in front of a mirror so-to-speak) pressure off some of the curriculum and as i said,it also might explain the depth in this year's roster. alot of students in the past that started ended up dropping out before they finished because quite often it was that difficult to get through.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm amazed --i guess they can make shoes there too m?

I was there and the show was stunning, from A to Z ! The level is perhaps less great this year, but this school produces the most creative young spirits on earth...

And of course they do shoes ,look :
p1160461.jpg

_ant0701.jpg

(ashadedview)
nice.jpg

(antwerp-fashion)

It was a great show and the students (even first year) produced an incredible amount of work.

Music selection and lighting were great as well.

those are amazing
i wonder if some of them studied shoemaking beforehand

it's a lot to learn in t hose years ? to do clothing and also hats and then shoes...
the boots/heels look quite sturdy and pro there.

It was a great show and the students (even first year) produced an incredible amount of work.

Music selection and lighting were great as well.

I agree !

When it opened with MGMT it was great. I was so happy to see all the students dancing on Justice by the end of the show.

But the After Party sucked ! Very bad music:innocent:

To be fair, in most cases, the students don't actually make the shoes,hats,glasses...they work with outside companies that produce them. I am working at a company that produced glasses for a couple of the students this year and in past years.

Yeah, the after party music was not good. They would have been better off playing the music from the runway show.

^that's what i was thinking too. the school tends to utilise(unless the designer is strictly an accessory/footwear talent)footwear companies around belgium and even outside.

btw,house of dis? i have heard of that somewhere...is that your label or shop?

so nice they have the resources to do that
thanks for the response houseofdis

i do agree with you though,zazie about the level kind of going down a bit. i saw that a bit in last year's shows too. the dynamics aren't quite as on par as they were two or three years ago...and before,of course. i think after linda loppa left in 06 it may have taken some of that kind of psychology-like(i mean it was synonymous for teaching one in front of a mirror so-to-speak) pressure off some of the curriculum and as i said,it also might explain the depth in this year's roster. alot of students in the past that started ended up dropping out before they finished because quite often it was that difficult to get through.

It'll be a shame for the level and standards to go down. It has built up quite a reputation for creativity and better for the school to be at the top than for it to "pass" students. The pressure does help to push better design work and they can always help the students that can't cut it to move to other areas, merchandising, etc.

Elsewhere, I'm so glad to see the students working directly with the industry - it helps them to understand pragmatic aspects of design vs. production and it invigorates the design quality of the shoe manufacturers. Just perfect. ^_^

Yeah it's great they get to work with manufacturers. The students we worked with also had custom fabric made (printed and woven) as well as shoes and accessories. The location of the school as well as the success of the past graduates really helps the current students.

@ Scott - The House of Dis is just my "brand" name although at this point there hasn't been much produced. Most of my time has been spent working for other companies, something I hope to change in the coming years. The only place I think you could have seen it is on MySpace or Facebook, unless you happened to see me wheeling around my luggage somewhere.

^that's where i saw your label name before....iqons,yes? i believe i even have in my entourage :ninja: 'stitch:the hand'?? that's me.

in the same boat as you too although a different platform.

zazie,well i think it's still good because walter is still there....he actually took over from linda. if anybody else is formidable it's he.

bump *

do you think the students are all working with just local manufacturers (for glasses, shoes, woven fabrics, etc.) ?
or also with nearby countries?
maybe even farther ones like in italy..

i am amazed since i was just in a part of the city here and i was told the whole area used to be filled with textile mills
and they all shut down because of the competition from overseas, esp in asia where the fabrics can be made more cheaply

i was thinking there is maybe much more design awareness in europe that these mills can stay alive
like they can specialize in specific finishes/fabrics and smaller ateliers can order from them, not having to order such a high minimum like they would have to with non-local mills...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
us4848
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->