How Much Do You Expect Out Of Your Handbag?

for me it depends on which bag. my dependable coach hamptons gets a lot of wear and tear most of the time, though I try to baby it as much as is practical because it was expensive (for me) and it's not a throwaway bag. in the summer I'm not using it quite as much as when I'm back at uni, but nonetheless it's my staple and thus it has a few small scratches and is starting to look a bit worn and loved. :grrr:

my vintage bags get a LOT of babying, on the other hand. I'm very particular about storage and where I take them, etc. :heart:

I start off babying them . . . but then eventually I tend to start treating them like crap. Alot of it depends on how much I spent on the bag though. I take that back - it really doesn't matter 'cause I'll still beat it up and throw it on the floor B)

michelle,

a water bottled accidentally emptied in my WHITE birkin!!
imagine the drama while in a black cab in london

and guess what, it looks even better now.. except the whole inside is ruined :cry:

leyla m. said:
michelle,

a water bottled accidentally emptied in my WHITE birkin!!
imagine the drama while in a black cab in london

and guess what, it looks even better now.. except the whole inside is ruined :cry:

oh you poor thing, if it were me - i'd have a cardiac arrest!

Leyla, can you get it re-lined, or are you not really that fussed?

I think if it were my bag, I'd actually be a little bit relieved, because then I would know the first "dent" if you will, had already been made. I'd feel more comfortable about subjecting it to the kinds of abuse that any bag of mine must weather.

Glad that this thread got bumped up, never saw it before.

Sorry to hear about what happened to the birkin, I hope it survived its first "dent" well. :flower:

The title really got me thinking and well, my answer is that I like to buy a bag in which I would just about carry forever, say ten, twenty years down the road. I'll like a bag where I can see its cost-per-wear to zero or less. I really spend the most on bags, more so than any other pieces (clothing, shoes, accessories..) in my closet. Admittedly, I have made some bad choices along the way, but I think now I have a better sense of what's a worthy investment and what isn't.

I tend to be one of those girls who baby my bags initially, just because I spend so much on them. Well, a little scratch or two is fine, but hopefully nothing catastrophic, but I do admit that I tend to be harder on them six months down the road. But, if the bags are worth their ticket prices, they really should be able to take some wear and tear, right?

I agree with the person who said that it's so decadent to just throw your stuff around, I'm of that type, actually. I do take care of my more expensive bags, but if it's a bag below the 300 dollar range then chances are I don't care too much if it gets roughed up. Ah, hell I tote my books to class in a Balenciaga so maybe I'm not the right person to ask.

I agree with Chiangsi1980! Granted my current collection has been tastfully chosen so that the pieces are substantial 5 - 10 yrs down the line. However as for wear and tear, let's just say with an overly rambucious dog and a clumsy husband, thank goodness for scratch-proof leather! That plus hyper-sensitivity when you first use your high-end bags!

As You Like It said:
Leyla, can you get it re-lined, or are you not really that fussed?

i'd be totally fussed if i ruined an $8000 birkin! :shock:

... however, wouldn't hermès be able to repair/replace the lining for you...?? :unsure:

they'd better for a bag at such a high price-point!

brian said:
... however, wouldn't hermès be able to repair/replace the lining for you...?? :unsure:

they'd better for a bag at such a high price-point!

Brian, I think they can however it might cost her. But hey, anything to save the bag, eh?

hermes_lemming said:
Brian, I think they can however it might cost her. But hey, anything to save the bag, eh?
yes.... i know i'd pay... i wouldn't want a ruined bag.

i expect my bags to last.... for forever.
cheap or expensive. im not rough on my bags..
i dont baby my bags to death but im not rough on them.
none of my bags ever needed repair..
even my eastpack backpack which i got nine years ago and used all through highschool is still in good shape.
yeah so whatever i buy its gonna last me for a while :D

and if we are talking designer bags, OF COURSE they need to last at least 10+ years...

^ I so envy you in a sense that your bag can last forever. :woot:
I am really really harsh on everythingI wear; bags, shoes everything.
So I tend to buy many and really rotate them around so that
they dont get easily damaged by ME! My little tip :P

hmmm, leyla...sorry to hear about that! I buy the bags/jewelry/clothes/shoes i buy expecting them to last forever too...this is the kind of stuff i want to be passed down, and the thought of my future great grand daughter using one of my bags is fantastic to me:innocent:

the_dark_angel said:
^ I so envy you in a sense that your bag can last forever. :woot:
I am really really harsh on everythingI wear; bags, shoes everything.
So I tend to buy many and really rotate them around so that
they dont get easily damaged by ME! My little tip :P

That's really a good reason to buy MORE bags!! :lol::flower:

But I kinda rotate my bags around too...different bags for different looks, different occassions...

chiangsi1980 said:
That's really a good reason to buy MORE bags!! :lol::flower:

But I kinda rotate my bags around too...different bags for different looks, different occassions...

Don't laugh but w/ my puny collection (only 4), I think that I actually have enough bags for now. Hmmm, maybe I'm catching a cold or something. :sick: Obviously sick in the head.:rofl:

I don't spend a lot of money on any of my bags, but I take care of them. I don't really go out to a lot of places where they are going to be subject to the elements, I suppose (shopping, work, and dining)...but if I KNOW it will be an occasion where I'm going to be doing something inappropriate for one of my...I'd like to say more expensive or nicer, but I really can't so I'll just say...more favored bags..I'll just bring along my La Redoute cheap suede hobo... a steal at $20 and not hideously ugly. It's brown, so staining is not a particularly big issue...and it's suede...so tearing is not an issue. I love it...:heart:

Emi

The thing about bags is, for the most part they are bought to be used. For someone like me, who kinda just forgets how much I spend on them, I throw them around when I get in the house and give them some good wear pretty quickly. Everytime I buy a new bag, I vow to keep it beautiful forever, but then reality sets in... and well you know... its time for a new bag :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->