Tell us about your first handbag ever:

As You Like It

Proponent of Plaid
Reaction score
Inspired by the "My First Handbag" thread, I got to thinking about my first bag, which I still have, though no longer use as it has gone beyond all reasonable levels of shabbiness.

What was your first bag like? What did you carry in it? How old were you when you got it? Do you still have it? Would you use one like it today?

firstpursefrontclose.JPG

This is my first purse, which I got when I was 13. I liked it very much and carried it every time we went to town. As you can see it is made of denim, and has five separate pouches and is fairly large. The strap is adjustable to be very long or to bring the purse up to about waist level. It is of no particular brand (the tag says "Shane") and probably came from K-mart, Alco, or Pamida. I still have it, and use it on roadtrips, to carry CDs in the car. When I was younger and used it as my regular, everyday purse, I carried my wallet (turquoise blue leather with a gold, bow-shaped button) a folding hairbrush, a LipSmacker, and frequently a novel and/or beading or hair-wrap-making supplies. I'd still use a purse like this one today, and I am seriously thinking of copying this old bag in a sturdy corduroy in a color I wear a lot, like brown or orange or red.

great thread!
erm i don't know if this qualifies as a handbag but my first BAG was this pink and white candy striped nylon messenger-ish bag. i had it when i was like...2 and i used it to carry my piano books in.
and then somewhere down the line, maybe when i was about 4 years old, i had this silly black patent snoopy bag with a drawstring pouch attached in it and that was where i kept my "secret stash" (not like that)
and in elementary school i had some random crappy nylon esprit bags that i kept some change, hair clips and small bills in
i also had one of those mini jansport backpacks that i kept the same things in too
and my first designer handbag was i believe this silver LV vernis bag given to me as a gift. i don't know what it was called but it was sorta shaped like a camera bag and the front pocket had sleeves for CDs. it was given to me as a gift from my aunt... and i think i kept a small wallet, some chapstick, altoids or starbucks cinnamon mints in it... it didn't hold very much but it was so shiny and bright and pretty. i think i've got it stored away somewhere. everything went downhill from there...i started going from coach to kate spade to dior to givenchy to gucci...and so on

My first bag was a Liz Clairbone jean bag I got as a gift from my grandmother.

I seriously would never consider such a purchase, but the intention behind it all is so beautiful that I love no matter what. :blush:

I had a neon yellow fanny pack for going on nature walks with my family. I was probably about 4. :stuart:

my first ever bag was a badtz-maru messenger from sanrio, circa 1996.
i wish i still had it :(

My first ever hand-bag as I reacall was black leather. I bought it myself at H&M when I 13 and still have it at my parents house. I thought it was so classic yet funky and I always wore it for 2-3 years. I remember seeing the bag in the film Kissing Jessica Stein.

My first bag was very tiny, eventhough it wasn't a real handbag. I got it in Disneyland, Paris when I was around two or three. It's made from dark brown leather, has one zipper and a little shoulder strap, and on the front there is a big picture of Chip & Chap. Chip with a safari hat, and Chap with a hawaii shirt. I loved it, but leather is difficult to patch up, and eventually it became too fragile to carry around. I still keep it.
I used to buy all my (hand) bags at Indian stores, because I loved the pearls and the embrodery. Still do. But now most of my purses are vintage (designer) and found at flea markets.

Edit; beause I remembered Chip & Chap are called Chip'n'Dale in english. Just to clarify.

mine was a medium-sized black balenciaga drawstring bag (hand-me-down from my mum). i was in high school then.

My first handbag was a simple black Prada one in the 8th grade. All the other girls in my class had one and thought they were hot sh*t, so of course I wanted one too. :rolleyes: I eventually and inevitably became bored with it, and ditched it for this vintage brown Chanel bag that I found in a thrift shop and still own today.

I cant evn remember my first bag seem as i was about 4 at the time which was over 11 years ago.

I don't remember my first handbag. It was probably something cheap & ugly:P

a dooney and bourke blue saddle bag which I got when I was 11. I still have it some where at my parents house. The color looks so faded and horrible now. I definitely wouldn't wear it now. DB is not my thing....

A hello kitty purse from sanrio when I was in like kindergarten- I found it in a box the other day!! It had some chapstick and a disney brochure...

My first bag was this little blue bag i had when I was like 3 or so...
I think I have a pic... Although I dont know why I'm wearing it around my neck.

1.jpg

My first bag was a metallic silver quilted leather Chanel backpack... f/w 1994 collection, I believe.. It was a gift from my mother :blush:

I received my first purse at age five, it was about 5.5 inches by 3.5 or so, dark cherry red corduroy, with three shiny black round buttons on the front, it had a strap long enough to be worn on my itty bitty shoulder and a top, zip closure.

I think the purse was lost when my guardian's house was sold. :cry:

mine was my moms old black leather shoulder bag from the 70's. I think I was about 11. I have no idea what I used to carry there. i gave it to my little sister and she is still carrying it around

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->