How Much Is Too Much? Designer Pricing

IMHO, Lena gave great advice ... I'd charge a bit more .. you say that you're targeting "normal" people, so emphazise on the fact that the pieces are unique and your customers wont bump into other people on the street wearing the same pieces ... say that your work screams exclusivity!
You may even try to make shopping an experience depending if you're gonna set up a showroom or sell it at some store ... I'd personally suggest that you try to add some accesories ... if they become a hot item, they'll lure customers to your other products and buy expensive ones (like dresses!)
Break a leg!
Blu

Originally posted by blumarine@Jan 19th, 2004 - 10:45 pm
IMHO, Lena gave great advice ... I'd charge a bit more .. you say that you're targeting "normal" people, so emphazise on the fact that the pieces are unique and your customers wont bump into other people on the street wearing the same pieces ... say that your work screams exclusivity!
You may even try to make shopping an experience depending if you're gonna set up a showroom or sell it at some store ... I'd personally suggest that you try to add some accesories ... if they become a hot item, they'll lure customers to your other products and buy expensive ones (like dresses!)
Break a leg!
Blu
I'm going to sell my stuff online, and I may perhaps do a few pieces to be sold in stores.

And I am definitely going to be doing accessories :smile:

Originally posted by Pradaromance12@Jan 19th, 2004 - 10:34 pm
lets get to the point brian, when will i be able to buy :wink:
:lol:

I really can't say right now, but I'll make sure that you're one of the first to know! :D

I was once advised by a couture designer that you should charge 3 times cost on all custom garments.

Originally posted by Dreamer@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:08 am
I was once advised by a couture designer that you should charge 3 times cost on all custom garments.
I suppose it sounds like a bit much, but the work that goes into couture clothes is probably three times as much as that which goes into making rtw clothes

Originally posted by tiffany+Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:31 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tiffany @ Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:31 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dreamer@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:08 am
I suppose it sounds like a bit much, but the work that goes into couture clothes is probably three times as much as that which goes into making rtw clothes [/b][/quote]
its a pretty standard mark up... no more than a lot of ready to wear

Originally posted by Dreamer@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 8:08 am
thats the only way to make money out of it, much more if you are in small production, Dreamer knows how it goes :wink:

brian, if your fabrics are not top quality, dont use the 'couture' word for your collection, you can still do one offs or limited orders, but only top quality can be branded as Haute Couture.
where are you based? maybe you should try and scource some great fabrics, most good French and Italian manufacturers have reps in usa.

let me know, maybe i could help you with fabrics :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 2:36 am
brian, if your fabrics are not top quality, dont use the 'couture' word for your collection, you can still do one offs or limited orders, but only top quality can be branded as Haute Couture.
I guess not, although I wasn't using the name for my collection per se... It's part of the name of my label. I didn't mean it in that sense though... just HC as in "high fashion"
A lot of people use the name in that way as well.

But I would if I could afford it, and I would really love to, but I just cannot afford to be paying $1000 a yard for fabric! :\
Plus then I'd have to charge ludicrous prices like everyone else does, and I do not want to do that. I just do not have the means for such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turbotastic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->