How the Internet is Affecting the Fashion Industry

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by softgrey, Jun 23, 2010.

1. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ I think they still are ... and I suppose it is because it's hard to look exclusive on the Internet.

2. Myriah S

Myriah S New Member

certain designers *cough* karl legerfeld *cough* raf simons *cough* among others have an aversion to the internet.

refusing to sell clothes online etc.

INSISTING on the fear that their brand will somehow collapse and die off if they start selling clothes online.

when in reality all it would do is generate more income.

as the old, resistant ones will begin croaking, it is my expectation that the CEO's and owners of the future will finally accept that the internet is not their enemy, and we will begin to see high fashion being sold online as well.

the internet is undoubtedly the future. and the further we get into the future, the more inevitable this fact becomes.

3. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ Karl is old, there's no denying that, but Raf? Raf is 46--that's Gen X. Unless he's very unlucky, he won't be 'croaking' anytime soon.

4. Myriah S

Myriah S New Member

I wan't sending death wishes to them lol

but I'm looking forward to a time when people who are open minded and keeping up with times, will take over those big fashion houses we all love.

5. squilliam

squilliam Member

Internet leads to fast fashion, and also the loss of the air of exclusivity. And since the designs would shown so quickly they would be copied so quickly. Besides, some people think social media and most of the Internet is mediocre (this quote sums it up: "instagram is twitter for people who can't read". Some of these historic fashion houses don't want to be associated with the modern brainless youth ruling the net, they're catering to older customers who are not as dependent on the Internet. Also, considering the relationship chanel likes to create with its clientele, they may feel that online shopping would hinder the nurturing of such a relationship

6. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

US Harper’s Bazaar 2000
    Betts was so ahead of her time.
    Read her comment.

Phuel and tatouejeremie like this.