How to wear hand knits?

xing

Reaction score
I love knitting. The clic clacs of the needle makes me go nuts but I realised that besides making things like scarves, and gloves or certain types of outer wear, it's very hard to pull off hand knitted clothes. (Like tops or bottoms) They always turn out mum-ish or like I'm some crazy crafty chick. Not the look I'm going for.

How can I wear hand knitted clothes stylishly? Layering, unfortunately, isn't a viable option is 30˚c(bout 90˚F?) weather.

i think layering can work depending what yarn you're working with ^. yarn made from bamboo, linen.. and also the size of the stitch can help. a mesh-like knit will allow in more air

what about knitting with colours that suit you? black, grey, navy are safe choices. i think crafty and mumsy comes out when you make clothes out of all of those ever so popular 'novelty yarns'.. the eyelash, faux fur that come in rainbow colours all-in-one

i sort of have the same issue with medium weight knits or hand knits
the way they tend to turn out a lot more voluptuous than their woven counterparts..

Haha, I totally understand the crazy yarn experiment but beyond that, it's still quite hard to create an outfit with knitted pieces. Especially if you're not knitting a full top in lace weight yarn, which would be pointless anyway because they'll just end up looking like the t-shirt you got from a store.

1191143766_fcace83f71.jpg

credits: Gusseting, Flickr
It's a semi crochetted top but anyway. The pattern looks ok, the yarn isn't some crazy yarn and i would say the yarn is rather close to lace weight but I still can't see a non-mumsy outfit.

By medium weight do you mean 5mm/6mm recommended needles kinda yarn?

^ What about with black cigarette pants? You could also layer black underneath ... like a tissue T.

Alternatively, what about with a white mini-skirt?

Very pretty top, btw ...

i think medium weight can also be called DK or sport weight... it's like the lace thread picture, only 2-4x thicker. they're stretchy

i agree with fashionista-ta. not really so nice to wear the knit as is... good when paired with something else, something quite different. i think it just boils down to the design

what do you think of missoni? they are known for their knits
more here
00130m.jpg
00350m.jpg

style.com

the hood looks medium-w

i'm not so sure about needle sizes.. i use a machine to do knitwork :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member