How to wear socks

*Happiness*

Reaction score
I am constantly looking at clothing, various styles of clothing that people wear, how they look in what they have on, wondering why they chose to wear a certain piece, etc. and as I was sitting waiting to get my haircut today I noticed TWO men wearing brown dress shoes, brown socks and dark colored slacks (they both looked like they were coming from work or something).
Needless to say...this site didn't sit well with me.

Is this a general rule that socks should match pants (or at least be a complimentary color)? Your thoughts....

Nope...just avoid beige socks whatever you do. Pistachio green and pearl pink go well with grey trousers, black with black trousers and turquoise would look rather fetching with brown trousers methinks.

^ I don't know that beige socks are such a crime, but wearing white sports socks when dress socks are called for ... :ninja: Whatever happened to the guillotine? :innocent:

As for me... if you're going to wear socks, go right ahead. Just don't roll/fold them down. :doh: It makes me shudder.

Personally, I love wearing socks with pretty much anything, if weather permits. I do sometimes roll them down (see my blog). I'm not talking about the sporty cotton white socks you wear with sneakers either. I don't think there are any fashion rules like "don't wear brown with black", IMO it's how it actually physically looks paired together. I never follow any of that, just wear whatever looks right to you and that is where you can develop your own personal style.

i'm glad this thread was brought back...
i wanted to start one specifically on how to wear socks with sandals or heels...
it is becoming more and more common and i was just thinking we could share tips...

:flower:

what are the best kinds of socks to wear with a high heel sandal or platform?

what are the best kinds of socks to wear with a high heel sandal or platform?

Definitely something of thin material. It'd make it difficult to walk otherwise, with your toes all scrunched inside. :lol:

g0rgiuz: love your blog photos of socks with shoes!

thanks papa_levante! i agree with your comment, definitely of thin material, mine are nylon.

I love socks, they can do soo much! One specific line I remember is Miu Miu Men's Spring 08 (Her last show!) with the short shorts, boots and socks.

2url8nd.jpg

I haven't tried it yet because my gladiators I have are brown and white and I want to wait for my black ones to come in, but once they do I want to try and match pastel-earth tone socks with the black gladiator sandal and short shorts. Bad, good?

I wear anklets with funky pumps and many of my Dries Van Noten shoes (cant put a finger on why his work but maybe because they are sporty) quite a bit. also wear light-weight crew socks in dark colors with ankle boots, sometimes put tights under the socks in colder weather, but the tight contrast the socks.

^ Dries' shoes tend to be on the heavy/chunky side, which often seems to work better with socks (though some of Prada's most memorable sock moments were with delicate shoes) ...

ta-ta, that's funny you say that, I wear my prada's with the toeless socks in bright colors.

I never ever wear socks, but i do ocasionally wear them with heals.. i also wear over the knee ones quite a bit.. i tend to stick away from black or white or marl grey ankle socks though.. just reminds me of school.. but weridly enough with over the knee socks they are the only colours ill wear.. i love thick slouchy socks in the winter as well :heart:

i'm totally feeling socks with boots right now...
of course it's too cold for that at the moment...
but i am excitedly anticipating doing it when the weather starts to cooperate!
:D...

plus...
i just like socks!
i got a cute pair of grey/blk leopard knee socks that make me very happy!
i also have a couple pairs of silver/blk lurex anklets that make me smile!

and there is very little that i enjoy more than some good cashmere socks in the winter time...
soft and warm...
yummy!

:wub:

In my opinion socks can make an outfit special. Normally I prefer black or grey ones, but when I start to dress up I usually pair the socks with the shirt.

That means e.g. if I wear my brown suit with a violet shirt, I also wear violet socks.

Or when I wear a black suit paired with a leopard shirt I also have leopard or even tiger socks.

^^
Yeah I'm normally not that big a fan of animal print, but the two clashing prints, sounds great ^_^

I actually wore a pair of slightly cropped pants today in a dark taupe kind of color. And remembering this thread I decided to wear some socks in a bright color. I went for blue. With them a pair of dark blue brogues and a navy jumper. I quite liked the bright pop of blue that the socks gave the outfit...

I like my socks to contrast with my shoes/pants.

With my grey shoes I like green socks. And with my brown shoes I wear bright blue socks. I get lots of compliments on them.
Once I wore black/white striped socks with my brown shoes, a friend was totally shocked 'Because you shoudn't wear black and brown, let alone with stripes' I guess socks can cause quite a stir ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
-hide them as best as possible

-match them to your pants or shoes

-don't wear them at all

-burn them

i dislike socks and only wear them when there's absolutely NO CHANCE i can go without them

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->