How to Wear T-shirts

EdK

Reaction score
just curious on how most of the guys wear their t-shirts. do you wear them really tight or loose, half tucked, etc.. im a skinny guy so id like to know how other skinny guys out there do it. I like wearing mine very fitted but sometimes my skinnyness shows too much this way. =/

I like mine tight. But i've been gaining back some weight (i went from 250lbs to 160..now i'm up to 180) so I've been wearing looser shirts. But since I've been working out and losing weight again my shirts are getting tighter and tighter. In general, I like more fitted clothes. and i only tuck in if I have a nice beltbuckle.

wow man congrats on that weight loss.

new style

my new style is to wear a vintage tee over a short-sleeved cotton/oxford dress shirt w/button down collar. if you un-do the button down, and pull the collar up over the tee crew neck, it looks really rad that way. [looks best with black shirts, or blue/white gingham checks imo]

i also see some women in nyc wearing a short sleeve tee over a long -sleeve oxford- [tuleh showed this look]...not sure how i think that looks.

also if you wear a vintage tee over a lacoste or fred perry polo, again pulling the collar up over the tee crew neck, its rad. some girls actually pop the polo colar up above the tee but to me thats a bit 'trying to hard'... unless that for you.

mickey mouse is cool.

i wear mine tighter but not too tight. usually untucked. but i have a long torso so tucking in doesn't really cut it for me

lady grey said:
my new style is to wear a vintage tee over a short-sleeved cotton/oxford dress shirt w/button down collar. if you un-do the button down, and pull the collar up over the tee crew neck, it looks really rad that way. [looks best with black shirts, or blue/white gingham checks imo]

i also see some women in nyc wearing a short sleeve tee over a long -sleeve oxford- [tuleh showed this look]...not sure how i think that looks.

also if you wear a vintage tee over a lacoste or fred perry polo, again pulling the collar up over the tee crew neck, its rad. some girls actually pop the polo colar up above the tee but to me thats a bit 'trying to hard'... unless that for you.

mickey mouse is cool.
thats another question i had, if you were goingo layer underneath a t shirt like that do you buy it 1 size up or buy the regular size that would be fitted on you with just the tshirt.

sizes

many of my tees are vintage 70s/80s. the sizes are tighter, the fabric thinner and its a closer fit but way better than the thick beefy hanes tees of 2005.
often the 70s/80s fabric will stretch over an under-layer shirt, so the look & fit rocks.

for me, I want the under-layer [oxford or polo] to be roomy, so i wear my normal size oxford or polo under.

you can wear a tight vintage tee on top; or you can wear a roomy XL 2005 tee on top:

but imo a vintage snug over a polo or oxford is a way hotter look as long as both shirts feel comfy on you.

also i should have said the 2 shirt look rocks under a sharp sport coat or also under a cardigan. you can also layer a cardigan under the sportcoat, which i do, and with each piece being 70s/80s you deliver a VERY vintage look....
sometimes mistaken for..."HIPSTER!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mine fitted. Unless, of course, they're supposed to be obviously oversized and drapy or whatever.

tight-fitted but not TOO tight. Sometimes I like to layer it by wearing another shirt of a different color.

I buy them to fit slim and not too long. I have a lot of larger shirts that people have given me or that are old, from when I wore them looser, and these I layer over slimmer shirts.

Tucking is determined by a complex calculation of factors including belt/jeans detail, shirt tail length and the weather... :lol: I have embraced the half tuck thanks to suggestions on this subject, previously.

my head goes in the big hole and my arms go in the sleeves, tag goes in the back hopes this helps

Tudds said:
my head goes in the big hole and my arms go in the sleeves, tag goes in the back hopes this helps

*chuckles*

As for my t-shirts it depends on what look I'm going for...if I'm wearing Undercover I like them to be XL, kind of slouchy because that's the look that seems most appropriate with the shirts. Whereas if I'm wearing a Helmut Lang or plain tee from Muji or Y's I like them to be more fitted.

rad

Idea : A) if you want to stand out as 'fashion - forward' wear a long sleeved oxford shirt [best are brooks brothers or ralph lauren or burberry] underneath and layer a cool vintage tee with appropriate artwork on TOP.
the oxford obviously has a COLLAR which you pull-UP so it rides on top of the tee crewneck.
if its a buttondown [which many brooks bros or polo oxfords are] you may want to Un Button the collar and pull it over the tee crewneck as you might if the tee were a sweater or jumper.

B)
B)
Idea b:( you can also do this with a shortsleeved buttondown under but it doesnt achieve the 'fashion - forward' vibe as much....still its more sonorous when 2 short sleeves are worn together.

the traditionalists may gag when they see this combo "A)" but thats when youll know youve won.

I have similar hints using a lacoste polo underneath but Im still refining that look so start with the oxford & soon youll be on Top.

thatwasn't very nice...
my bf has to wear a white under-tshirt underneath his tshirts... always fitted, but never tight/skintight and never tucked. hes pretty small

I find the long tee underneath a shorter tee to have been around for a long time. It's actually quite a skater look. They've been wearing their shirts like that for probably 3-4 years. Both simple long sleeve shirts under tee's (vintage or not) as well as button downs.

I'm not sure why a guy wouldn't want a shirt to be well fitted to him if he is skinny. I love skinny boys and the whole slim look of jil sander, helmut lang, dior homme, prada on men. I think it's very flattering. I'm not saying I don't also love guys who are thicker but there's no shame in a guy being skinny.

I wear my tees slim to fitted. No exceptions. No matter how I try, I can't wear big clothes given to me by people. Honestly.

Half-tucked sometimes, I never fully tuck my t-shirts 'cause my upper body isn't proportional to my lower body, and tucking it in makes me look like a science nerd.

diamond dog

Meg said:
I find the long tee underneath a shorter tee to have been around for a long time. It's actually quite a skater look. They've been wearing their shirts like that for probably 3-4 years. Both simple long sleeve shirts under tee's (vintage or not) as well as button downs.

the 2 tee shirts thing is definitely established [longer sleeve/jersey under short sleeve tee].
... a tee over a long sleeve full collared shirt with cuffs..? ..I dont know any skaters so havent seen them. they usually look pretty dirty/bad.
{did they wear a tee over a lacoste or polo? maybe not, I thought thats new, too?}

... tuleh showed it almost a year ago but I like to take credit for it.
you can also wear french cuff shirts [with the links or no] & then a full dress collar [really rad in windowpane or gingham prints], as the layer under a tee but still visible...believe me, that underneath a vintage 70s tee makes quite le impression.

yes, the skaters where I lived often wore collared shirts with cuffs (but not french cuffs) underneath their skate shirts. Not all skaters did, thats for sure, but I know that a select group of them did. Not all the time either mind you but sometimes. And it was always solid white, not gingham or black :flower: And no, they didn't wear polo's under. In fact, I think I was one of only two people in my highschool to own a lacoste polo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->