How's life in the fashion (designing) field?

dxreaper

Reaction score
I'm really concerned with the life in the fashion designing field. My girlfriend is interested in it… as in really interested as it is her passion and dream since she was like 14, but my family members are somewhat not very pleased with her choice of profession. Please no criticism... thanks! I'm from a rather traditional Christian background and I am just seeking knowledge and understand on the issue and I am not looking for criticism or wanting to be criticising. I just want to know how it really is like and what it really is about from the people who are actually in the field and to really understand what it is all about.

The main concern here is the "bad" influence that is stereotyped in the field and the connection it has with the celebrity world. Do remember that I'm from a rather undeveloped country (Malaysia) in terms of the overall thinking... as in being traditional, "old", "unmodern" and "conservative" in some way. The argument is that in the field, it is the funny people which she will be mixing around (such as the party crowd, models, lose lifestyle, those who drinks and smoke and so on... again, please no criticisms, just correct me if I'm wrong, I'm here to learn and not point fingers) and am afraid of influences since to be in the fashion world you have to know the people and to know the trend and be up to date socially and all.

I myself am in the business profession. I am just concerned with the influence that I think she will be having when she actually gets out to the working world. ie. Working with the models, other designers and those "celebrity" style people who seem to have loose lifestyles (from what has been seen on the media where they are constantly changing their husbands/wives like it were clothing) and not being committed and all. She really has the determination to actually succeed in the field.

Hope I have not been too critical or have caused any harm to anyone... Just had an argument so I really apologise in advance for any harm done and that it wasn't done intentionally.

Thanks in advance guys...

no worries dx, she's safe in the fashion business, nobody will make her smoke or drink or go out half nakd if she doesnt want to :wink:
its as safe as any other job

But how are the relationships of people in the fashion industry like? ie. their love life and all? are they stable? I'm more concerned about influenced with the lifestyle and practices in the celebrity world in the relationship and social sense.

Sorry for double posting, could edit the last post.

How about peer pressure? Or having to fit in and all considering it is rather social? Or am I just stereotyping it?

There are many people in the fashion world who live the party life full of the things you worry about, bu there are also many who dont live like that. Its like any other area of profession. It all depends on your girlfriend, its not like if you are put into the business you automatically become one of "them".

Thanks.. good to know there is a large number of the opposite too :smile:...

Are there any trends which can be seen between them? Like what the 'party' people achieve and what the 'opposite' achieve? The types of jobs and roles there are in the fashion designing field and so on... thanks for your time and the reply guys.. appreciate it alot.

I think that in any industry there is a risk. It may not seem like it on the outside because of the professional image some industries promote but I know bank managers that party on the weekends, and I know rave djs that don't touch drugs or drink at all. If you are worried that your girlfriend could end up doing drugs or drinking or cheating on you or doing anything else that you would consider immoral then that is a trust issue that you need to figure out with her. A certain environment doesn't change who a person is. If she is against those things she won't do them, period. If she is a bit interested in those things then yes, given the opportunity, such as going to late night parties with people who are drinking and doing drugs, she might try them. But that is her choice as a person, and if she is that kind of person and that is not the type of person you want to be with that can not be avoided just by keeping her in a "safer" industry. Even if she went into business like you, that doesn't mean she won't meet other business people who are into partying and if she is interested in trying those types of things she might do it. Take me for example, I am the exact opposite. I have been involved with the party life for about 7 years. Everyone I know drinks or does drugs basically. But I don't. Noone pressures me, it's my own decision. They will offer things to me sometimes and I say no. That is my personal choice. The environment I am in does not change who I am and it will not change who your girlfriend is either. You need to figure out who she is and learn to trust her enough that you trust her to do what is right by both your standards in any situation if you are going to have a successful long term relationship.

Thanks alot guys for the reassurance =)... Really appreciate it.

Yeah, I understand. I was just worried about the 'broad' general view some have over the industry (those who do not really know much). It's just the same with how some look at those in the advertising industry. Thanks alot again!

Hi, Dx, I do not work in the fashion industry ... but I know enough to be certain that it offers a variety of environments. Your girlfriend will probably initially want to get experience wherever she can. Once she has some, she will want to look for a work environment where she is more or less comfortable if she hasn't found it already. The direction is set from the top, so she will want to do some research and find out who's got it together and who doesn't--find someone to work for who has a lifestyle somewhere in the ballpark of hers.

If she has good character, she cannot be corrupted by her environment. If her work environment seriously conflicts with her values, though, she will be uncomfortable. How much of a problem that would be depends on her.

But the bottom line is this--if you trust her, you trust her. And in my (granted, American) view, this is not really your family's business.

I used to work with someone whose wife was previously a forensic scientist. He was concerned because their life expectancy is quite low due to all the nasty stuff they're exposed to, and he asked her to change careers (and she did). That is my idea of a valid reason.

dxreaper- I can say this, having worked at both bananna republic and my current job in a european design studio who shows for couture, and fall and spring rtw. The designs you do, are only 5% of your job. Its what they think of as they hire you, but far more signifigant is the people you work for, the area your office is in. Those details affect your world a whole lot more then the assumed "prestige" of your brand, and your association to it. I plan on returning to the states in a year, and I'll be glad to find a job and some mass market retailer like abercrombie.

Dont forget that there are a lot of us who work in fashion who don't even come anywhere near models and celebrities - that's the majority of us designers in fact. Only the very few who have their own labels might be exposed to this kind of lifestyle.

For most of us , it's a job like any other.

Lots of us are simply not interested in that side of things either. I like a quiet life and that's what I have.

dxreaper said:
Like what the 'party' people achieve and what the 'opposite' achieve? The types of jobs and roles there are in the fashion designing field and so on... thanks for your time and the reply guys.. appreciate it alot.

party people achieve a 'here today, gone tomorrow' status much more if they just go wherever they've been invited.. on the short time they may be more 'in the media' but the new 'trend' is respecting more the designers who actually have an atelier and a collection to focus in..

others focus in the celebrity lifestyle, others concentrate on their work.. makes a huge difference but both attitudes are out there for all.

personally i'm not totally anti-PR but i've seen too many fellow designers getting 'burned' by over exposure.. a good balance is the best way to go.. (or else people/media find one unpolite and too snobby to talk about/ support)

relationships between designers acn be UBER bitchy and superficial, alomst like everywhere else, just a bit more ego-tripping.. if one has a real personality, those things soon wont matter at all..
working in fashion is like a lesson one needs to learn how to concentrate on his/her work and avoid getting too involved in ego battles etc.. these are only for the insecure and untalented.. people who know what they do, dont care too much of the 'dog eats dog' attitudes

why dont you introduc ytour wife to tFS, this way she can discuss with us first hand :wink:

Alright, this is really comforting to hear. I mean earlier I have no idea what the field really is like. All I know is it was hard work but was rather unsure myself about the environment and all. Guess there isn't anything to worry about then! :blush:... Thanks for your time and effort to actually tell me about the industry! :flower:

Edit: What's TFS by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
ChevalierDanceny said:
dxreaper- I can say this, having worked at both bananna republic and my current job in a european design studio who shows for couture, and fall and spring rtw. The designs you do, are only 5% of your job. Its what they think of as they hire you, but far more signifigant is the people you work for, the area your office is in. Those details affect your world a whole lot more then the assumed "prestige" of your brand, and your association to it. I plan on returning to the states in a year, and I'll be glad to find a job and some mass market retailer like abercrombie.

I can get you the e-mail address of their hiring guy. Abercrombie pays pretty well too.

tFS = the FashionSpot :wink:

you are welcome dx :flower:

I wish it was more partying but they put me in the studio and threw away the key...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->