i need to do fashion

igobyjuju

Reaction score
Hi. I'm writing this post because I currently find myself thinking about fashion all day every day and I'm stuck In school as an accounting major.
I like to tell myself thom browne also graduated in accountancy- so it's okay.
I need a job in the industry. something, or someone, to put me on the path. I spend hours outside of school studying fashion. everything about it.
I'm not the most amazing drawer but I can see outfits so well in my head. having a fashion illustrator to help me communicate my ideas better would probably be a good idea.
I've created haute couture collections, ready to wear pieces (that I want to sell), but I don't sew. I know my way around stitching and such but I don't have hands on sewing skills.

I don't know where to start. most responses are go to fashion school, but that's never been something I've wanted to do
I've taken some steps, but I genuinely don't know how to ACTUALLY enter into the industry. it feels gatekept- and I don't want to go to fashion school. I want career skills like accounting to help me run my own fashion business.

what can I do?
thank you to anyone who took the time to read this <3
what did you guys do to enter?

Perhaps working in accounting with a brand, large or small, will connect you with industry insiders who are inside the gates of fashion and will address any concern of fashion being gatekept, as put in your words. From there you might be in a better position to learn about the different vendors when it comes to pattern making, textiles, hardware, factories, packaging, third party logistics, web agencies, etc. to give you a better idea as to what you'll need to seek in investing to produce a collection up to standard and at the right price point for buyers or your online customer. An acquaintance of mine who is stocked in several large retailers and consistently shows up on red carpets used to stress how important it is to deliver to retailers on time and in correct quantities because if you don't you can be shut out for good. What can be especially worrisome for a new brand is having sufficient capital to produce a collection if you are so lucky to have the success of getting your first substantial order from a large retailer. The aforementioned acquaintance had a different friend wire them $500,000 for their first big order, so, if you have those resources and you take the time to get insider information and develop a sound business plan, you could certainly be on your way! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmeColbert
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->