I'm a Fashion Hypocrite.

For me, laziness is a huge factor... I can go out shopping and put outfits together in my head etc, but when it actually comes down to it in the mornings when I'm half asleep and need to do all this stuff before I head to class, I just throw on whatever I can get my hands on.

I love fashion but maybe if you take a look at me, i dress like any other (rather fashionable) girl. Though my knowledge in fashion is for sure far greater than the average girl. First, because as a student, I can't afford too many items even from a store like h&m. Pile a few items on top and it's my rent for the month. lol. I do own a couple of designer stuff..However, now that I think of it, never purchase it for full price. 2nd, if I really dressed the way I wanted too, it would be too extravagant for the city I live in. I can buy cheap(er) way cool 4/5 inch heels but people here will think your crazy unfortunately (it's too high). This is why I'm always dressed down. I wish I could just let myself go when it comes to fashion. But I guess comfort and laziness has something to do with it as well.

I wish I could just let myself go when it comes to fashion. But I guess comfort and laziness has something to do with it as well.

I was the same way but it just takes an ounce of guts to put that first (pedicured and chicly-claded) foot forward. I used to shy away from wearing my heels, nylons, dresses, ect out when just going shopping and would always fall back on jeans and a white tee - even though I had a closet full of far more remarkable items. Eventually I got sick of only wearing my 'nice' clothes so rarely that I just decided I need to just go for it! I still get stared at sometimes when I go shopping in my full attire but it's actually rather empowering to stand out, especially when you know you look good :P

Fashion is such a broad term. You don't have to be cognizant of every area of fashion to not be a hypocrite. As for me, I am somewhat more conscious of what I wear than I used to. I revel in dressing up now, I suppose. I used to be just obsessed with models but that has changed. tFS is very inspiring, there are members who dress themselves extremely well, and it has a gargantuan influence on what I clad myself in now.

As long as you appreciate fashion and aesthetic values in general, there's no such thing as a fashion hypocrite ^_^

you may enjoy looking at a painting, but it doesn't mean you can/want to paint yourself

You know, I think about fashion all too often for my own good, but I don't think it always shows. School = lack of time and scanty bank account, so it's difficult to look great all the time. I don't think I will ever be super stylish like those women in Vogue or the Sartorialist, but i do manage to look pulled together most of the time.

But I think for most of us at TFS here, love of fashion means more than just knowing how to dress well, buying designer goods, and sporting the latest trends. There are "stylish" girls at my school who blatantly flaunt their Gucci logo shoes and Coach monogram bags and that disgusts me. Personally, I just love admiring fashion and think that it's so intriguing because it can be so beautiful. GOOD fashion really challenges what is established as "beautiful." The average Joe would have cut up the Prada coats from last Spring and made carpet out of it, but I think the skirts have that je ne said quoi that makes it beautiful, even if I would never wear them. And young people associate flower print with granny, but I think Balenciaga's reworking of the bright flower print dress is just gorgeous.

To be honest, I suspect that my love for fashion is a bit escapist. I would like to work in the fashion field, but I know it's not all glamour and I don't think I want to live that type of hectic, bullet-train speed life. So right now I'm doing mostly studies in science and math at university. It gets very monotonous when all you learn about is logic logic logic, so it feels really great to take time everyday and look at beautiful fashion magazines or come online here, because fashion has nothing to do with science.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should see the way I dress at school. Completely a contradiction to how much of an interest I have in fashion.

papa levante, i think you may just be a bohemian:smile: (not the bad gypsy skirt and kaftan type by the way!)

heeeh that is pretty awesome, i wish i could name all or most the models

same with ^ posters, i get lazy in dressing sometimes. Sometimes i wear something so ugly, and i'm still like meh.
Yet if i see bad outfit on tv, i'm like wow thats $%@!

As much as I *** Ann Coulter - she did say one smart thing:

"I know I can be a food critic without opening up my own restaurant"

(insert political statement not allowed on tfs)

I think this is real life, we have better things to do and worry about than think about what to wear today. As long as your clothes are clean and not ripped, you are fine as long as you are comfortable too.

As people have mentioned before, appreciating art, buying art, and creating art are totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mou777
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->