Imitation of Christ does Denim

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from fwd...first a collaboration with easy spirit, now denim:

Tara Subkoff just signed a deal with Blue Concept to create her very own line of jeans. The new collection will debut later this year and retail for $170 - $220, about the same price point as other designer denim labels. It will be available to consumers starting in January 2006. Last year, Tara’s licensing project was a line of sandals for Easy Spirit, also under the Imitation of Christ label. Besides her commercial projects, she’s a contributing costume designer for the Stephen Petronio dance company in New York, and can also be seen guest-starring on reruns of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

Blue Concept’s new denim line will bear the Imitation of Christ logo; its other labels include Antik Denim, Yanuk, Grail, and Memphis Blues.

That's disgusting! 170 bucks(?!?!) for non-designed jeans....don't think so,deary!

I'm not a tara hater like post people, even if she is over hyped. So i will keep an open mind, it could be good.

Scott said:
That's disgusting! 170 bucks(?!?!) for non-designed jeans....don't think so,deary!

that price is relatively cheap for the rest of the Blue Concept family.........have you seen the price of Antik and Tavernitti jeans these days:shock:

thnx for posting this kimair......I read it in WWD yesterday, but don't have the online version.

She's making money somehow........even though I'm still kind of confused why people want Imitation of Christ on their own labels........the Easy Spirit collab really baffled me.

Actually,that should have read 170 bucks for IoC non-designed jeans :lol:

(WWD)

Imitation of Christ Signs Blue Concept Denim Deal
By Lauren DeCarlo

081005_7.jpg

Tara Subkoff, designer of Imitation of Christ.
Photo by Thomas Iannaccone

NEW YORK — Imitation of Christ has inked a licensing deal with Blue Concept, a Los Angeles-based denim firm, to design a premium denim collection that will launch for spring. Tara Subkoff, Imitation of Christ's designer, will serve as creative director.

Subkoff admitted she wanted to do a denim line for years, but was never approached by a denim company whose credentials she deemed worthy. Until now.

"I met a couple of people who were wooing me to do denim, but they wanted to start from scratch. They would pay me really well, but they were inexperienced," said Subkoff in a telephone interview from Blue Concept's factory in Los Angeles.

Subkoff likens the Blue Concept partnership to the Easy Spirit collaboration last year when she designed a collection of stylish but comfortable shoes. "You can create something even better when you work with people who know what they're doing. I can't wait. I'm ecstatic. Everyone here [at Blue Concept] is so knowledgeable."

Marc Beckman, founder of the Designers Management Agency, represents Subkoff and orchestrated the deal. "We've been approached by many companies in the past year to do an Imitation of Christ denim line, but Blue Concept was the company that fit best from an infrastructure point of view. They have manufacturing and sourcing capabilities unlike anyone else in the marketplace," said Beckman. "As far as the creative direction, it'll all make sense because Blue Concept has the unique ability to manufacture with Tara's creative vision."

The denim collection will officially be unveiled at the Imitation of Christ runway show during fashion week here in September. Though she didn't want to reveal too much about the collection, Subkoff didn't hold back when explaining what it won't look like.

"I don't want to see a bedazzled [jean] ever again. Like, for the rest of my life," Subkoff said. "I'm taking jeans back to the roots. It's about taking one's body into consideration and understanding what is flattering. We've gone so far to the right [with embellishments] that I want to see how far to the left I can go. Right now, the bedazzled and embellished looks are just tacky. Let's face it: I think women can look better than that."

The back pocket of the Imitation of Christ denim will feature the brand's signature three crosses. The line will wholesale between $90 and $120 and will hit better specialty stores in the U.S. and abroad in January.

Blue Concept and its founder, Paul Guez, are known for providing the back-end support for a number of thriving denim labels. "[Subkoff] brings a distinctly feminine flavor to the jeans market and that was missing from the labels we have," said Beth Guez, executive vice president of Blue Concept.

The company's roster of brands includes Antik Denim, Taverniti So Jeans, Yanuk Jeans, Grail, Henry Duarte, Elvis and Memphis Blues.

Subkoff said she's taking her inspiration for the collection from film stars from the Fifties through the Seventies — and from her two friends, Chloë Sevigny and Scarlett Johansson. "They know so much about looking good," she said. "They wear jeans all the time. Denim is almost like camouflage for imperfections. It's taken the place of the little black dress."

And while the details aren't fully squared away, Subkoff said she would like to donate a portion of the denim profits to charity.

Though the contract with Blue Concept was signed just last week, Subkoff is confident the collection will be ready for the runway, where she'll also show Imitation of Christ ready-to-wear, one-of-a-kind pieces and her Easy Spirit shoes. "My parents used to have a swami and he always used to say, 'If you want something done, give it to a busy person.'" she said.

Beckman said the plan is to grow Imitation of Christ horizontally as a luxury brand. "Right now, we're speaking with handbag companies and fine jewelry companies and we're in the process of talking about fragrance," Beckman said. "That's really the big picture."

well i think it depends on how they want to PR their denim. i never noticed this brand until mary kate olsen attended its fashion show. (it could be a good start:wink: )
if well-known celebs like mka wearing ioc jeans and were pictured in the fashion mag or tabloid, i think it might increase their sales performance. imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Thanks for posting, fujiema.
"I don't want to see a bedazzled [jean] ever again. Like, for the rest of my life," Subkoff said.
Well, I'm with her there. Who knows, maybe they'll turn out to be nice jeans. But I have the same question as purechris: why do people want anything to do with IOC in the first place? How does this label survive? :huh:

ehh, agree with space that she's overhyped but I'm interested to see what they will look like.

fujiema said:
well i think it depends on how they want to PR their denim. i never noticed this brand until mary kate olsen attended its fashion show. (it could be a good start:wink: )
if well-known celebs like mka wearing ioc jeans and were pictured in the fashion mag or tabloid, i think it might increase their sales performance. imho.

Dunno, if Mary Kate Olsen in the front row is a good start for anything...I've never heard of Tavernitti/Antik Denim jeans, sounds dodgy.

I'm not sure who would want to buy her 'far to the left' jeans line in at at wholesale price of between $90 and $120 to then retail at $170 or $220 ....

that's just not good business sence...especially for retailers outside of the states...the retail Price will surely be greater than what has been stated...?

Ew ew ew Tara. Ew ew ew

I'm so glad she and Wes Anderson broke up. She's just...uhhg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember her from movies. Does she still act?
But seriouly i have not heard a thing about her designing since her first show.

We've gone so far to the right [with embellishments] that I want to see how far to the left I can go.

i agree droogist. tackling denim seems a little more up tara subkoff's ally than couture.
maybe she'll take the jeans to a sand belt and buff up the a$$ shop class style.
i'm betting on some raw frayed hems and high waists...

Imitation Of Christ denim line

Blue Concept / Paul Guez has signed Imitation Of Christ now and will bring out a dnim line from them in january 06. Blue Concept is the company behind Antik denim & Yanuk !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->