Alexander McQueen's new denim line

there's a pair of mcq jeans in the f/w 05 collection.

00045.jpg

em 692 said:
...how would you say "McQ"? would you just pronounce the letters each individually, like "m-c-q"? anyone know?
...i'm thinking "mick-you" ...

anything to make more profit... sad sad sad....

That photo is just as softgrey said.

I don't mind diffusion lines but this one sounds gross especially if that photo is anything to go by. I like Hussien Chalayan's and even RAF by Raf Simons sounds like it will be something to look into. But for logo stiched jeans for $875...no thanks.

I can't blame MCqueen for doing this OR Gucci Group for pressuring him. In fact I don't mind Mcqueen's recent desire to cash in (even at a loss of his creativity). The man has a company to feed, and if you were in Gucci's shoes you would be wondering why you were holding on to a profit losing comany, too. sell or be sold.

He just needs to learn how to do it with style (like Balenciaga). I would have preferred he do what Balenciaga did and make a greatest hits collection. I feel like he has enough iconic designs and garments from past collections he could make a little cheaper, not only make some money but expand his customer base and increase the number of fans.

Hum ... he's done denim in rtw collections in the past ... remember that one with the wolves ... there was denim all over ...

And do not forget the stir he made when he created the "bumsters" (jeans with a really low waistline ... wll.. in the back part) ...

Hope we'll see interesting stuff .. on the other hand .. it still seems to pricey ... I dunno if its cuz I live in a frikkin third world country where most people make around $500 a month, but I'd rather stick to benetton with those prices

em 692 said:
but I don't think his intent is to create good design that doesn't cost a lot. the whole point behind this diffusion line is to make profit...

maybe not. but to scream that he's selling out because it's a diffusion line is an elitist attitude. if he was smart he'd invest a bit more into exploring that area, as he needs to turn a profit. he could even create slightly more affordable clothing that appeals to his more avant-garde followers, and kill two birds with one stone... why shouldn't he branch out?

travolta said:
maybe not. but to scream that he's selling out because it's a diffusion line is an elitist attitude. if he was smart he'd invest a bit more into exploring that area, as he needs to turn a profit. he could even create slightly more affordable clothing that appeals to his more avant-garde followers, and kill two birds with one stone... why shouldn't he branch out?

I agree.

Any ways if selling to Gucci wasn't selling out then I don't know what is.:rolleyes:

I understand even though it sucks. But it may , as someone said earlier, inject the cash needed for him to be creative with his sig line.

Originally though, he was doing fabulous work after selling to Gucci while De Sole was still head.

Terrible, absolutely terrible. With this kind of pressure from PPR McQueen's designs are starting to become a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
snickerdoodles said:
This would be much more interesting if it wasn't a denim-based line. Do we really need more designer denim?

AGREE WITH THIS SO SO MUCH!

brian said:
...i'm thinking "mick-you" ...
Like McDonalds. Mick Q. Mick cue. Whatever.

The jeans in the runway pic Brian posted are :sick: . That logoing is horrible. No more tasteful than any of those generic trendy crap logo-y denim labels like Seven For All Mankind, etc. :yuk:

travolta said:
Well, he's never really been about affordable, functional design, has he. I don't find diffusion lines objectionable as a matter of principle; it's the idea of McQueen diffusion line that makes me want to run and hide. McQueen's work, despite all its arty trappings, has always been slightly tacky, but has usually been rescued by its opulence. Take away the opulence, and what remains? :innocent:

I was pronouncing it 'Mc-Q' in my head. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Whether is a Miu Miu or Versace jeans or if it indeed can provide him with the financial stability he needs to be risky with his rtw.

I'd be more excited about this if I didn't think McQ would be so... loud. It worries me that the diffusion line will turn out a little bit like D&G, but then again I don't think McQueen is "popular" enough to have a collection with tons of logo tees and tacky jeans.

I think too that this is gonna be a big success. A diffusion line of a man like McQ is bound to commercially hit. Which of course does not mean that it will look good. but, we will see... I am at least curious about it...

droogist said:
Well, he's never really been about affordable, functional design, has he. I don't find diffusion lines objectionable as a matter of principle; it's the idea of McQueen diffusion line that makes me want to run and hide. McQueen's work, despite all its arty trappings, has always been slightly tacky, but has usually been rescued by its opulence. Take away the opulence, and what remains? :innocent:

i think even if he doesn't care about creating affordable clothing he certainly could do it. was he not a tailor at saville row? his clothes if you strip it's opulence away are cut well and have great proportions. even his arty touches, such as the merry-go-round theme collection, could have fanastical prints on garments instead of costly embellishments. i think any great designer could and maybe should have a diffusion line, not only because it's smart, but because i would love to see them step up to the challenge at creating great clothing inexpensively. i think maybe i'm taking the industrial design perspective that such restaints are what equals really good design.:flower:

travolta said:
i would love to see them step up to the challenge at creating great clothing inexpensively. i think maybe i'm taking the industrial design perspective that such restaints are what equals really good design.:flower:

Agreed, it's more challenging and interesting to try to create great stuff on a (tight) budget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CupcakesTulip
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->