Inception

Eternitygoddess, I think you've hit the mark on why the film is getting so much buzz, the story is amazing and Joseph Gordon Levitt's got major sex appeal. I think a lot of people are talking about JGL because they were taken by surprise that he could act this well/ and look this good.

ok really love this film......but the MAJOR flaw which (im hoping someone can explain).....urm, by Leonardo spinning that little thing and leaving it spinning in the box in the dollhouse (of marion cottilards mind).......how did that make her think the real world wasnt real? Surely the fact it continued spinning in the dream world would CONFIRM to her that the dream world was a dream. That was her proof?? If it kept spinning it was a dream, if it stopped, she was in reality?

I DONT GET IT?!?!?

The way I understand it is that Cobb (Leo) planted Inception into Mal's (Marion's) mind that the dream world wasn't the real world, in order to break them free of the dream world. However when they woke up, that idea translated over and remained in Mal's mind, and she believed that the real world wasn't the real world.

Inception macros courtesy of ontd:

tumblr_l5tjzj5NiM1qz9sfro1_500.png

tumblr_l5yyb0SkqV1qc8bcqo1_400.jpg

tumblr_l5tvyyMKaD1qa3hjro1_500.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i kinda get it now...but it wasnt very clear!! Mindf8ck!

& LOLL at those pics!! His face in the last one. hahaha

Definitely one of the best movies to come after so many years. But obviously it did not make that much of an impact on me as others. JGL, oh my god, I cannot believe that little twerp from third rock from the sun could ever rock a suit like that. Plus, that scene with Ellen, I WISH I WAS HER. And *spoiler* the "girl" that gives her number to Cillian, wasn't that the combination for the safe?

Yes it ended up being the combo for the safe... they used those numbers for next stage of the dream.

saw it this afternoon.
so good!
it was complicated but not all that confusing. would love to see it again for more details. not to mention this movie is like eye candy :D
and marion have such a good figure.

:lol: It's clearly reality in the end. He knew how he got to that plane. In dreams, you don't really know how you got to a certain place right?

^good point IAmLordZen, I hadn't thought about it like that before. I'm going to see the film for the second time tomorrow... I can't wait! :smile:

Leonardo said in an interview that the ending has not an exact meaning, that you should do whatever you want with it.

What about his ring and how can the totem tell us anything when it's not his?

Yeah, I read somewhere that the wedding ring is actually Cobb's totem. Whenever he's dreaming, he's wearing it. And when it's reality, he doesn't have it on.

...he's not wearing it in the end. :shifty:

What about his ring and how can the totem tell us anything when it's not his?

The totem could tell him (and in turn, us) something because he held it and knew that it kept spinning in dreams, and toppled in reality. That's why he kept checking throughout the first half of the film (Because Mal was right, he did have doubts in his mind about what was real life and what was dream). If you remember, when the concept of the Totem is initially explained to Ariadne, it's said that only you should know, say, the weight of your totem. Because if someone else knows, they can tamper with it. That's what Cobb did to Mal. One Mal died, I think he assumed her totem as his own. You never see him checking his hand for the ring, but you do see him spinning the top.

However, it makes sense that in dreams, where Mal is "alive" he still has the ring on while he doesn't in real life. So the thing about the rings still works.

I just downloaded the soundtrack! I get chills whenever I listen to it. Hans Zimmer is truly a genius.

Here's a fun fact by the way:
You know that (*BRAAAAAAAAHMM*) sound from Inception with which we’ve been having so much fun? Well as you can see in this video, some brainiac on the internet put it together that the main musical cue in Hans Zimmer’s Inception score is actually a slowed-down version of Edith Piaf’s “Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien.” Says the A/V Club:

Significance? Well, in the movie, we learn that the further the heroes dive into a person’s subconscious–into a dream within a dream within a dream, and so on–the more slowed-down time becomes. So if composer Hans Zimmer is playing us a super-slowed-down version of “Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien,” then the implication is that we’re still submerged deep within the dream, far from the kick that will wake us up.

And in case you assumed that this was just some stoner conspiracy theory, like the Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd, or that Boondock Saints was good, Zimmer actually confirmed as much to the LA Times:

“You realize that the elements that we’ve extracted from the Piaf song are the way you get from one dream level to the next,” Zimmer said.

Plus 100 hipster points if you’ve already put it together that Marion Cotillard, who plays Cobb’s wife in the movie, won an Oscar for playing that same Edith Piaf in the biopic La Vie En Rose. I believe you can redeem those for a keffiyeh scarf at American Apparel. Anyway, according to Nolan, the Piaf connection was conscious, but not intentional:

The charged symphonic brass of Piaf’s “Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien” was targeted for use by Nolan yet almost dropped from the film when Marion Cotillard, who starred as Piaf in 2007 film “La Vie en rose,” was cast as Cobb’s wife, Mal. Zimmer, however, said he talked Nolan into keeping the song in the film, arguing that audiences would not be distracted by the connection.

Only Christopher Nolan could overestimate his audience’s intelligence so much that he’d worry that they could identify a Hans Zimmer musical cue as a super slowed-down version of a French song from 50 years ago, and THEN be distracted by the knowledge that said French song was sung by a woman who was portrayed by an actress who is also in Christopher Nolan’s film. I got tired just typing that.
filmdrunk.uproxx.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->